Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 46 t what 10 speed mech?
  • zippykona

A trawl through the intranet has half the people saying X worlks ,the other half saying it won’t.

What real world experience do you have? Shimano by the way ,please.

simondbarnes

M6000 GS is the only one officially designed to work

jamesoz

On my hard tail I use an old Xt 11 speed mech on a 10 speed 11-42 Sunrace cassette and Saint 10 speed shifter. It actually shifts better than my fs with 11 Speed.
    Not 11-46 I know but the Xt mech has the range.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davewalsh
    Free Member

None of the 10 speed mechs other than the M6000 will work without some sort of bodge (goat link, rad cage etc) however an 11 speed, M7000 SLX or M8000 XT will bolt straight on and work perfectly.

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call the rad cage a bodge but you might as well go for an 11 speed mech unless you happen to have a spare 10 speed mech

martinhutch

M6000 GS is the only one officially designed to work

I thought that ‘officially’ that was rated only up to a 42t max sprocket size?

SLX or XT 11 speed will work. Probably will cost no more either.

simondbarnes

I thought that ‘officially’ that was rated only up to a 42t max sprocket size?

You are indeed correct.

whitestone
    Free Member

Shimano are somewhat conservative in their stated derailleur capacity – it’s essentially a “this size will work no matter what” figure. In the real world you can get away with a little more, certainly two teeth extra and probably four.

My wife has an 11-46T cassette along with an XT M8000 derailleur which is supposedly 42T max on a 1x system and it works fine.

confused58

I use 11spd SLX and XT mechs with Sunrace 10 speed 11-46 cassettes on both my hardtail and fs, works fine and I prefer the ratio’s to Shimano 11 speed cassettes. I would not recommend the M6000 Deore mech as mine bent easily and the construction seems flimsy compared to the others.

johnjn2000

In an attempt to do the right thing and not repeat thread content I am resurrecting this one. I am really struggling to set up my 11-46 Sunrace cassette, I can get it into the largest ring with the B screw almost at its limit, and I can get it into the smallest ring…….but can I get it to shift nicely between the two? Can I £u(k! I have gone back to basics, released the cable, lined up the jockey wheels, wound the tension screw all the way in and back out 1 turn before reattaching the cable. The ba$t@rd thing still won’t shift cleanly, is the goat link option just for getting it into the big ring or does it do more? HELPPPPPPP

jamesoz

Bent hanger? Cassette assembly incorrect?

johnjn2000

Hanger should be ok as it is new but the cassette assembly is one I hadn’t considered. Do you mean the spacers as you move down to the smaller rings?

davewalsh
    Free Member

What mech?

breninbeener

That is the symptom of bent hanger i feel.

sillyoldman

@whitestone M8000 mechs were originally listed as being compatible with up to 42T sprockets as that was the biggest cassette option they made. Since the release of the 11-46 SLX and XT cassettes, M7000, M8000 and M9000 mechs have all been listed as being compatible with up to 46T.

Shame may be true of M6000 – it may work with 46T but they don’t say so as they only make an 11-42 10 spd cassette? Dunno.

I’d get an M7000 or M8000 as you know for sure that they’ll work.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, I wondered where the notification flag came from – good old STW forum software 😒

@sillyoldman
    – She’s had the Stooge for a couple of years and I think got it built up just as the 11-46T cassettes came out. Quite possible that CRC, Wiggle, et. al. hadn’t updated the descriptive text on their sites.

sillyoldman

@whitestone More than likely. Must be a hellish job staying on top of descriptions for that many skus!

gilesmartin81

I just converted my shimano slx 10 speed to work with the 11-46 sunrace cassette using the wolftooth goat link.

This has worked really well with no problems and I am on the second cassette now as it wore out over the last 18 months.

It’s heat for those long dull hill climbs

jamesoz

Hanger should be ok as it is new but the cassette assembly is one I hadn’t considered. Do you mean the spacers as you move down to the smaller rings?

Not impossible for a new one to be bent, much more noticeable on a large range cassette too.
    Not impossible to have dropped one of the spacers also check it’s done up tight.

johnjn2000

OK, thanlks everyone. Time to check the hanger then I think and then the cassette. I think the mech is M6000 10sp if it isn’t it is an M7000 but it is base level deore nothing fancy like XT. Will report back after I have checked the hanger and cassette.

johnjn2000

All of you that suggested a bent hanger……….take a bow! Thank you. Still bloody fiddly even after getting it straight, but it is there now 🙂

alric
    Free Member

I tried slx, xt, long and medium 10 speed rear mechs on my 11-46,on a Capra, still cant get it to work well. Tried goat link too, no joy
    Looks like Im going back to 11-42

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I spent this afternoon fettling with my Stooge in the shed. I fitted a sunrace 11_50 cassette with an slx mech and an xt shifter . All 11 speed. Fitted and set up with no problems at all. So on that basis 11_ 46 would be no problem. Shed time is so important.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘46 t what 10 speed mech?’ is closed to new replies.