Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • 4.5K max build for next season
  • StuE
    Free Member

If it was my money it would be one of these http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/whyte-s-150-359998 I know its not short travel but it just looks right

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My hardtail is my commuter and pumptrack bike actually! I’m missing a road bike and a fat bike !

Any pics davosaurusrex?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I should’ve stopped reading at that, as the rest of that is utter nonsense.

Summarising it as “I’d not spend £1k of the budget on something that makes the least difference” any better?

You’d save more weight spending the price difference on other parts than a carbon frame. And it’s suspension/wheels that make you go fast, assuming the frame you want is available in alu and carbon versions of course. And if there isn’t a carbon version of the bike you like?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Valid point and the input is appreciated.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My Smuggler compared to my Patrol Carbon is so much heavier I haven’t actually dared weigh it. I’d hazard a guess at 33lbs. The Smuggler 4, which is about £3k, is 35lbs.

When I got mine the alternative was a Fuel but none were available secondhand for the right price. They are meant to be really pretty amazing.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

35lbs!

chakaping
    Free Member

Best way to make a Smuggler lighter is to go out for a ride with someone on a Process 111.

My mate’s Smuggler always felt lovely and sprightly when we swapped bikes for a bit.

transition1
    Free Member

I have not weighed my Smuggler buts it’s an XL frame custom built with Ohlins fork LB rims on Chris King hubs Praxis cranks 1×11 setup with 150mm Dropper I love it even if not that light

davosaurusrex

Will have to sort out another hosting account which has been on the list for a while. Will try and sort it this weekend

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dave if you email me the pictures I’ll put them on here. I moved to Imgur from Photobucket after they started trying to charge $$$

davosaurusrex

Thanks for the offer but no thanks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Your call, I’m just trying to help the OP

davosaurusrex

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ooh is that a fuel ex? ( lovely lawn btw)

Edit : yes it is, just read your earlier post. What year?

I was looking at them last night. They do carbon frame only too

davosaurusrex

Here’s another one, unwashed with mismatched rotors and all (got a gold 203 on the way from a nice fella on here)

It’s a 2017, really enjoying it. If you just ride around on it it’s pretty unremarkable really but once you let go of the brakes and put some effort in it is awesome. Makes the trails come alive etc. I was running it in the high position but got used to accounting for pedal strikes and am running it in low. Only situation I wouldn’t is climbs like the first one on the Blade at Afan where it was constantly catching the rock outcrops where you barely have any momentum.

Had a quick swap with a mate’s Camber the other day and was surprised at how different they are, the Camber changes direction at lightning speed but wouldn’t fancy taking it down anything too steep or techy. The Trek felt like a stretch limo swapping back. Also loaned it to a mate of a mate last night, he was all set on buying one of the discounted Intense Carbines from Merlin but is considering one of these now.

Weighed it today, 31.3lbs with LB carbons, Renthals, XT trail pedals and over a KG of Slaughter Grid casing rear tyre which is about what I expected, certainly not disappointed with that.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers , looks grand.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

davosaurusrex – what travel are the forks on that?

continuity
    Free Member

Why are you calling it a season when you aren’t racing, just ‘trail riding’?

Is there a season for trail riding only? Is it spring?

Why not spent 2.5k on a secondhand hightower or yeti or w/e and the rest on some riding lessons and bike holidays so the season can be extended?

Just a thought. Depreciation on bikes is absurd.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers dad. It’s -12c where I live and the ground is covered with snow. I went XC skiing today.There are no trails to ride.

The biking season starts when the snow melts. I.e the next season: Spring, ‘absurd’ as it may sound.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have an Evil The Following and it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden
    New frame and second hand ((but good quality) parts speccd off here and eBay was easily less than 4K.
    Built with Fox36 Talas (135/150), XT 1×11, Reverb, Saint brakes, LB/King wheels etc etc.
    The Monarch shock is really good but picked up a Fox DPS Kashima shock in Mojo close out sale and it’s even better.
    Weight is ~30lb
    Ride with the fork at 135mm most of the time but 150mm for big descents eg Garburn Pass.
    Would have another in a flash.
    I would say consider sizing up though if you’re on the cusp of two sizes.
    Cheers
    Steve

davosaurusrex

gkw – 140mm. I’d like to put a 150 on it, doesn’t really need it but would like to.

Cut the stroke spacer off it the other day so now has 136mm travel by my calcs. Only done 2 properly muddy rides since so hard to say but seems good so far. Also put it back to high setting, it’s slack enough anyway and works better as an all round trail bike IMO

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks Steve, I had a go on a friends wreckoning , blinged out with Öhlins front and rear , and thought it was very very nice indeed, but I have ordered a smuggler as a friend runs a bike shop and got me a good package price on a combined frame and fork. I thought the reach on the following was a little short, that was all, prefer the geo on paper of the smuggler. it’s not carbon and I’ve been told it won’t be out for another year at least, so I went aluminium. Currently looking on eBay and here for second hand parts to build it up to a decent spec.

continuity
    Free Member

So what about my suggestion of money to go ride trails that aren’t covered in ice?

Could get to the Alps or finale a couple of times?

Amazing bike holiday *2 Vs Very slightly newer but otherwise identical bike?

Maybe I’m just cheap (or just like riding? Who knows).

Cancel, you’ve bought something already. And you didn’t spank 5 grand. Cool beans.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have two children under six so time away to go riding in the alps or finale is not possible, or indeed desirable. Plus I’ve done that a few times.

Maybe you are cheap or you just like riding, that’s not for me to say , but I do think you are very judgemental and presumptuous . Be cool.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Interesting what you say about a Wreckoning
    Based on my Following I have an itch for one of these as my big bike.
    Might use the bits off my Jeffsy in the future to build one up.
    Either that or a Trek Slash 9.9 RSP which just “looks right” IMO
    Barely ride my Jeffsy since I got The Following. Nothing wrong with it at all, they just overlap but I think the Evil is better as an everyday trail bike.
    Cheers
    Steve

davosaurusrex

What went wrong with the Ohlins? Mine work fine but have developed a click on the rebound stroke

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes was something with the rebound adjustment, not exactly sure

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘4.5K max build for next season’ is closed to new replies.