Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 456…Hammer Time
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Ok so I currently have my summer season stripped while I change things and generally mess about and was thinking (after finding some damage) of modding the chain stays like on the new 456. So any advice/tips/tricks/warnings appreciatted should I clout it or clamp it or what? Some pics of home done jobs would be great.

Cheers.

rOcKeTdOg

eh?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cover it in innertube instead

PJay
    Free Member

Chainsuck will slice straight through inner tube, I’ve got my 853 Inbred armoured up with zipties and someone else mentioned using jubilee clips although then you’ll end up with dirty great bolts on the chainstay.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Chainsuck will slice right through the stay too, a fact that peterpoddy and myself (that I know of) can atest to.

Brant supplied a very reasonable replacement that he took a hammer to. The paint wasn’t very pretty, and it needed evening up and lengthening a bit, but it solved to problem.

A ball ended hammer will give you the precision you need. A flat ended hammer will just make a mess.

renton
    Free Member

yep just done my inbred this way after my long thread about chainsuck.

i took cranks off and hit it gently until i got a nice indent !!

quite easy to do but a little disconcerting

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers will have a look over next couple of days while off work.

Any pics renton or you not bother, would like to see.

Chase
    Free Member

A mate used a G clamp. Block of wood on the inside to spread the load and clamped away. Needed paint touching up after.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Is it just me that finds the fact that you can squash a chainstay with a G clamp a little worrying?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why?

You can visibly squeeze some top tubes with just your hands.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yes, I can do that on my wifes old-skool orange P7.

renton
    Free Member

will try and post some piccys up later for you !!

Tim
    Free Member

Whats the reason for doing this?

Chainsuck on mine was caused by worn kit and a bad chainline – new cranks/bb and chain solved it

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

doen’t stop chainsuck, but does move the chainstay out the way so its not an issue.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘456…Hammer Time’ is closed to new replies.