Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 456 hub service
  • Del

got one of these apart the other day, thought it might be of use to others.

Brant previously suggested that the only way to get 'em apart would be with a blind bearing puller. my mate Blggs and i used a bit of ally tubing just shy of 20mm diameter, and 2-3mm thick. we hammered a tapered gas fitting into the top of the tube, when the tube end was lined up with the inner ring ( second piece in from the end ). this gave enough purchase to drive out both the inner and outer rings – the outer ring is a push fit.
    did the same on the other side, but had to use another bit of tube, obviously.
    then heated the hub up with a hot air gun. hairdryer or hot water would probably do. i did get it bastid hot – i could feel it radiating back at me when i put the 9mm adaptor into the bearing and wiggled it about. by angling this over a bit i got a bit of purchase on the bearing and it came out pretty easy.
    bearings are '6904 rs1'. 37mm OD, 20mm ID, 9mm W. i ordered 6904 2RS from the good folk at smb bearings ( very nice to talk to, and ordered early afternoon, received following morning ), for 5.50 each ( or thereabouts. )
    when re-assembling i did the disc side first, then i could put the disc mounting face down onto the vice jaws to tw4t the other side bits in.
    it's actually not a bad design. very well sealed.

Del

BTW we couldn't get any purchase at all on the bearings themselves when we tried to splay the tube out inside them. only the end caps gave enough.

brant
    Free Member

Well done. Pretty easy to put back together again, thankfully!

Olly
    Free Member

Oooo, maybe i WILL be able to use that pesky thing again after all then….

trailmonkey

sorry, i missed that. how do you do it ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘456 hub service’ is closed to new replies.