• This topic has 47 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 456…… dilemma
  • harrytoo
    Free Member

I am 5'10, should I go for the 16" or 18"?

Spent all night searching on here, general consensus is I am right between sizes, so if I want something playful its the 16", if I want something a little more racey then the 18"…..

Looking to bang on a RS rev fork and build it up for general trail centre abuse with the odd longer ride out.

Lots of very nice looking builds on here, but need a little reassurance on the sizing before I treat myself.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

5'7", 5'8" dressed and ride a 16 if that helps. Fits just right. Would imagine if you wanted to chuck it round and play with it then 16 would be ideal.

LittleTones
    Free Member

I'm an inch and a half taller than you and plumped for the 18". You're right – you're right in between sizes, it all depends on what sort of ride you want. Judging by your comments, I really think you need to try one out for size. Not helpful in itself but realistic… Sorry………..

firestarter
    Free Member

im your height and 18 i had felt a bit long i run a 16 now with an inline post and 70mm stem and it feels great

Hairychested
    Free Member

5'7" here and 16" frame. Feels long enough for a long ride but perhaps a tad too long as a mess-about-on bike.

luked2
    Free Member

Have you measured your inside leg length as well? That may also help you decide.

See table at bottom of this page:

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=590

hora
    Free Member

harry too depends how you like your own bikes historically. Do you like the stretched out/XC feel? What have been your previous few bikes?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

2nd Horas comment. I came from a racy Orange E6 and an 18" was fine for me and I'm about 5'10". Also got a Scandal in the same size, both great bikes.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Harry too, where you at.? Can you meet up with someone who has one.?

hp_source

I'm roughly the same height as you and went for a 16", I think it's pretty much spot on for me/my riding style with a 70mm stem.

convert

As above – it depends on past history. I'm an inch taller than you but with long legs for my height so my "cockpit" needs will be about the same. My previous history is all road bikes and a xc orientated Scott strike pro. I have an 18inch (ti) with a 70mm stem and to start with it felt like a toy bike I was so upright. Got used to it now but I'm slowly building up another bike for more xc/ bridleway bashing duties and that will have a much longer cockpit for a more stretched feel.

Edit – the effective toptube length difference is only 1/2" so in terms of fit that next to nothing and a size up or down in stem will sort it. There is an inch and a bit in standover though, although both are enormous by old skool standards (as a cyclo cross rider, its positively luxury!), so I guess if you have shorter or longer legs for your height that should be the deciding factor.

hora
    Free Member

On me. I'm 6ft1 but never gotten on with a long cockpit. Always made me 'awkward' so when I ignored common wisdom I found a shorter cockpit helped. Had a large Blur4x- found a medium wippy and inspiring. As such Im going for a 16" and its still 'long' enough at 23".

billyboy
    Free Member

I'm 5' 11" or 6' (can't make up my mind) and I have an 18" Ti and 18" steel 456, and with a 70 stem they are a good/reasonable fit. I run a straight post and can leave 10mm of rail clear at the back of a Flite Titanium saddle….. if I run a gobi saddle that has a significantly longer distance from end of rail to end of saddle then I have to jam the clamp to the back end of the saddle rail. I quite like running longer stems…90mm or 100mm… especially if I'm using 25.4 bars because it makes things less twitchy (maybe my imagination but with oversize bars I think shorter stems work better and feel more secure..less nervous and twitchy). If I do run a 90 stem on these 18" 456s then the saddle has to be rammed right foreward as far as it will go for me to get a set up where I can still get out over the back wheel for steep descents without lowering the saddle. I'm not a fan of perpetual saddle lowering stops and I'm not going to get an adjustable post until someone produces a decent one!
    I've not tried but I reckon I would fit OK on a 16" 456 if I used a 90/100 stem and straight post, and definately ok with a 20mm layback post. I've measured the Thomson post I've got on the 18" and I have got enough length to allow for the extra 2" and still be an inch or so above the Minimum Insert marker.

Ramble, ramble, ramble……..

If I were you I'd go for the 16".

I think the 18" will be too big for you.

billyboy
    Free Member

If you are near NW Kent or the SW Lakes then you'd be welcome to have a ride on one of my 18" 456s and see how they fit you.

Clink

5'10" here, 33ish leg. Had 18" 456 which was spot on (had 80/90mm stem). Wife's 16" Inbred feels too small.

thwang-01
    Free Member

hi
    i would go for a 16" im 5.10 and have had a 18" 456 but i like to be stretched out

nuke

I've got a 16" standard Inbred and I'm 5'9"…I run a layback seatpost and 90mm so personally think I should have got the 18" but then there's only 0.5" difference in the reach between a 16" and 18" 456 anyway

hora
    Free Member

nuke- the 16" inbred is 23.5? You do like to be stretched out especially with a layback!!!

nuke

You do like to be stretched out especially with a layback!!!

8)

….although 16" 456 is 23", 18" is 23.5". I've got a standard (albeit 853) Inbred which is 23.2" for the 16"

hora
    Free Member

nuke, I had a 18" inbred and found it too long even though Im taller.

A large Chameleon is the right size for me but it felt 'dead' compared to a medium Chameleon. Climbed like sh*te though but then again its owner cant climb for toffee 😀

saladdodger
    Free Member

at 5'10 I would say a 18 I am 5'8" and I am top end of being ok for a 16 but the 18 is a bit too big for me

I live in devon if you want to try a 16 you are more than welcome

duckman

Don't buy if you are in a hurry to get it.I ordered mine a week ago….tick tock…

YokelLad
    Free Member

I'm 5'10" and have the 16" 456 frame. I had an 18" Inbred which felt a bit too long, not as well balanced when the wheels left the ground.

hora
    Free Member

Could people explain what their other bikes are though? As OP says- hes looked through previous and its mixed messages. Same with the above?

Rickos
    Free Member

5 ft 10 and a bit with 33 inside leg. Had an 18 inch classic model a few years back and wish I'd gone for the 16 inch. I do prefer a shorter bike though.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice chaps, looks like I am right between sizes, so either will be good, hopefully neither will be a dog, currently enjoying a 16" Kona with Thompson layback and 90mm stem, so suppose I've answered my own question!

harrytoo
    Free Member

…and checking the current frame its Top tube is 22", so getting an extra inch on what I'm riding should be good.

hora
    Free Member

OP, I decided to help you so I went out into the wilds of snowy-stuff and hp_source kindly let me have a go on his 16" 456.

IMO- you are definitely a 16" candidate. Im 6ft1 and found the length spot on. Even with an inch of seatpost left before the max-mark I still had my leg straight on the pedal as well. Spot on. Ta hp_source 😀

Ps. WHY DO PEOPLE WITH FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS INSIST ON DRIVING IN SNOW/BAD CONDITIONS?

Keva
    Free Member

I'm 5'4" with 30in leg and ride a 16in 456. Here's me on it :

70mm stem and inline post with saddle forwards. Personally I don't think they're that big. My others are a 16in Giant XTC which fits perfect and a 15in Rock Lobster which I have the saddle right back.

Kev

jonb
    Free Member

I'm 5'10 with 33" inside leg and went for the 18 with 60mm stem"

As above there is half an inch in the top tube so very little that can't be solved with a stem change.

The biggest difference is the amount of post, if you have long legs get the 18" and if you have short legs get the 16"

Picto
    Free Member

5'10 with 32' inside leg. Went for an 18 456Ti.

I would agree with the above. Don't stress about it too much. Both will fit. Depends on how much seat post you want to run.

firestarter
    Free Member

my 16 with saddle at roadie height 😉 the 18 looked a bit better imo but this rides and feels much better

hora
    Free Member

Will someone buy my Velocity track/fixie wheels, 2xmountain king supersonic tyres and a Thule bike carrier please so I can order my 456 frame? 8)

Hairychested
    Free Member

I am 5'7" and ride:
    – 16"456SS albeit in the 69er mode now,
    – 12.5" Gary Fisher rigid 26" wheels,
    – small Heckler,
    – 17.5" Scott Octane full-sus (officially my wife's),
    – 16" Marin Wool Fridge rigid,
    – 46cms Puch roadbike SS'ed.
    I also had a medium size Prophet which I found too tall, 17.5" Trek Y3 – lovely, 16" Rocky Mountain Hammer – too short reach.
    I've tried many different stems and seem to be happy with 70mm off road and 90mm commuting in town. Wide bars but not over 700mm.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I'm 5ft10 and ride a 16 inch 456, in-line seat post, 90mm stem (should probably shorten this a tad). I have a 31 inch inside leg. I use it as more of a fun bike than a racy bike and wouldn't want to go up to an 18 inch.

In comparison I also ride a 17 inch Kona explosif (1999, 100mm stem more racy setup) and a medium Enduro (2005, 70mm stem, playbike).

On the 456 I do need a lot of seat post for the ups.

br
    Free Member

Ps. WHY DO PEOPLE WITH FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS INSIST ON DRIVING IN SNOW/BAD CONDITIONS?

As opposed to what, rear-wheel drive – surely you mean why do people who can't drive go out in bad conditions?

Luckily we've a Landie, or more correctly my wife has one, which is very useful as my 535i can stay parked up. Its quite amazing what 4-wheel drive (and a computer) can achieve.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Hora, thanks for your thankless testing, thinking the 16" will do, and if It doesn't fit I'll sell it to you for half price!

Mick, thats a solid looking build, how tall are you?

hora
    Free Member

b r, conditions were worsening yesterday and I saw alot of cars spinning their wheels in a vain attempt to get somewhere. Mine is also 4×4 and even then I treated the accelerator gently along with the steering and brakes. One lad slid into a kerb inbetween Mossley and Stalybridge and when I mean slid he swapped ends- he must have been doing close to 30 with the road whited-out.

firestarter
    Free Member

happy hora will snap your hand off but buy a pink one and i can have yours and he can have mine 🙂 im five ten mate

hp_source

glad the ride yesterday made your mind up Hora, there were some right idiots out there, I saw another accident on my way back home too… plonkers.

16" seems to suit most people, and like other people have said, pay £150ish for the frame, and it it doesn't suit there's plenty people out there that'll bite your hand off for it at not a lot less.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘456…… dilemma’ is closed to new replies.