Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 456 carbon rear drop out problem
  • londonpride
    Free Member

Hi guys

Trying to build my carbon 456 using some old wheels on Hope hubs. When I try to put rear wheel in it seems as though the drop outs are too narrow to put the wheel in – it almost seems as though i need to make the jaws on the drop out wider.

Has anyone else come up against this problem or any idea what could be causing it?

brant
    Free Member

Do you mean the slot is too narrow? Or the spacing between the dropouts is too small?

Hope hubs always seem to be a little bit fat in the axle department.

I think you should file the hubs. Everyone else says you should file the dropouts.

londonpride
    Free Member

The slot is too narrow. Seems wrong to file the dropouts or the hubs. I put a new cassette on but cant think of anything else which i have done which could be stopping the wheel going in

scoobmw
    Free Member

My tuppence worth – not convinced re filing hubs Brant. I use two different types of Hope hubs on two wheelsets, and have swapped these back and forward between two other bikes for years.

Built up a new 456 last year, Aug/Sep time – the dropout that came with the frame was too narrow to accept either rear wheel I had – my immediate thought (and still is) at the time was just a poorly machined dropout.
    Went to get a file then remembered I’d ordered a spare dropout with the frame order, so tried that – worked fine, and it’s still on the bike.

I did call about the one that came with the frame and was told to follow the returns process. I’m sure I’ve still got it in an envelope somewhere .. never got round to dealing with it.

So o/p – I would send the dropout back and get a replacement …

Brant – that make sense?

Alex

I had the problem on a pace 405 on the removable dropout. I filed the dropout not the (hope) hub. Might not be quite so keen if it was Carbon tho!

footflaps

I’ve got a pair of American classic wheels where the hubs seem a bit too wide and need a lot of effort to fit in the fork/stays. Just seems not all hubs are exactly the same width…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘456 carbon rear drop out problem’ is closed to new replies.