• This topic has 35 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 456 Carbon – Anyone got one?
  • m_t_b
    Free Member

I am debating whether to return to a hard tail after years – any feedback from owners on the 456 Carbon looks and reads well.
    Im thinking White frame with some RockShox Sektors http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=125697

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I've got mine built up with U-Turn Lyriks, it's absolutely epic. Probably about 30lbs all in if you think weight is an important factor. Fast up, fast down, looks the biz, can't go wrong.

Paulio
    Free Member

I've got a black one with U-Turn Revs, not sure of the weight but I'd estimate it to be less than 24lb.

I think that it's excellent to ride – it feels really stable on the downs, with the forks wound down it climbs well and I reckon it looks ace too. I went from FS to this and it doesn't beat you up at all – I completed the Kielder 100 on it, albeit in a rubbish time!

The finish does scratch easily if that sort of thing bothers you and the headtube seemed to pinch the top headset cup making headset fitting a massive pain but it was only £399. Overall I'm very very happy with it.

If you're around Afan and want to try a 16" frame then drop me a line.

Paul

rob2
    Free Member

Very impressed with mine. Very light. Nice finish.

It's a bit like Sophie Ellis-bextor – ugly, but you kind of fancy it.

It's not a gnarr as a chamaleon IMO but I really like it

I'd say you need 130mm forks min as the front is pretty low.

Seamus
    Free Member

Very impressed with mine,it a big improvement on the 853 inbred it replaced. Running with 130mm Talas. Very stable descending and feels good climbing wound down to 110mm. If you are thinking of getting Sektors I'd get the U turn versions

m_t_b
    Free Member

Paul may well take you up on that offer as I am in Carmarthen so fairly local – would it fit though as I am 5 11" ?
    I am thinking of getting the U Turn versions need to find cheapest deal on a set of air Sektors. Gutted I did not pick up the offer of £399 that was a killer deal you got it seems reasonable at £499

Paulio
    Free Member

Yep it would be too small but you're welcome to give it a go and have a close look at the frame before ordering one.

don_don
    Free Member

Aren't they going up to £599 soon?? I'm sure On-One mentioned this on the e-mails they send out every so often.

m_t_b
    Free Member

m_t_b
    Free Member

Just checked and the white ones are coming in at 599 now. This is becoming less attractive as time goes on 399, 499, 599.. sounds a bit crap but I have 2 black bikes and really wanted a bit of a change but black it might have to be as they are still 499

They do the 456 Carbon Trail build that does not look to bad apart from the QR fork, this bike seems like it needs a 20mm up front to make the most of the tapered headtube then I guess you have to ask them to swap out wheels too – how flexible are they at on one?

Seamus
    Free Member

Still good value at £599 IMO, glad I got mine for £399 tho :D. Pretty sure if you speak to them before ordering you could specify a different fork. Saying that I run a 9mm fork with an RWS and it feels pretty stiff.

m_t_b
    Free Member

When was it 399, for pre order of black?

Seamus
    Free Member

Yes for pre orders, they did red white and blue 16" and 20" on pre order too but not 18"

m_t_b
    Free Member

Im guessing I am going to need a 18" at 5 11"

tony24
    Free Member

i would say so i am 5ft 10 and have a medium it fits perfect. really nice bike to ride climb's great too. mine come in at 24.8 pounds built up pretty strong too.

br
    Free Member

I've got a black one with U-Turn Revs, not sure of the weight but I'd estimate it to be less than 24lb.

Must be built up pretty light then – full XTR/XX?, and presumably without pedals etc.

Paulio
    Free Member

Must be built up pretty light then – full XTR/XX?, and presumably without pedals etc

It is built pretty light – XTR cranks, pro3/Stans wheels, X2 brakes, X0 gearing. And under 24lbs is an estimate, maybe a reasonable one if the XT build on the O-O site is 24.9lbs. It's got the kit on it from my Yeti ASR, bar the forks, and is lighter than that was – I'll have to get the luggage scales out! I'll not be too upset if it's a bit more lardy though.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Mine is just sub 24lbs including clipless pedals.

Nothing stupid light, the only XTR is the pedals and they're not that light as pedals go. The rest is XT / SLX, XT discs, carbon bars, Magura forks, Stan Olympic wheels.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So far as riding it, the rear end feels a lot stiffer than the steel On One I had.

Looks a lot better in real life than in the photos!

Tuppers
    Free Member

In response to your question – how flexible are On-one? You’ll find them very flexible – basically whatever you want them to build they will. I got a C456 Trail build but swapped the forks for the Fox Float 150RL bolt thru they had on offer at the time. Small price increase as req’d different wheel build. Just ask them for what you want and they will very honestly answer any queries and provide costs. They ride fantastic! I’ve sold my full-sus as I love riding the 456 so much. It’s not a harsh ride at all, and thats coming from someone who’s been riding sussers for 3 yrs. I am still amazed at how stiff it is, and the power transfer is awesome. It goes like stink on the downs and is a fair old rocket on singletrack. Even with 150mm forks on it climbs reasonably well. I have a white one and would echo the comment about the finish marking up quickly – but that doesn’t bother me – I ride bikes rather than stand about looking at them.

hora
    Free Member

I’d pay £400 for one. I wouldn’t pay £600. Thats too much. Partly because it does look Fugly.

paulrockliffe I don’t see the point of building a carbon hardtail upto 30lb?!!

Seamus
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I don’t see the point of building a carbon hardtail upto 30lb?!!

Try riding one, maybe you would then 😉

ma-maracas
    Free Member

It is a great frame – geometry is spot on IMO. I run mine with a drop post and talas forks and it still comes in at 23.5lb. Faired well being chucked around Welsh trail centres as well as 100 mile xc ride.

Still think a full sus is more comfortable for trails like CwnCarn, Whites level, but I would need something that could climb as well as a hardtail to be tempted back…For the money I have no complaints at all.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

A heads up – my 456 carbon (white 20″) will be up for sale in a few weeks. Have decided to go back to full sus.

Couple of weeks old, only ridden 3 times so pretty much as new (couple of v small cable marks, but top tube, downtube etc all heli taped from new). Absolute steal at £400 frame only. £500 with a new Hope headset and Saint bb (new with frame). £675 with all of the above and a Joplin 4 drop post (remote), again only ridden 3 times.

Will do a proper post when I am ready to sell, but if anyone finds this post and can wait a few weeks they will have found a bargain 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and wear 32″ inside leg jeans, the 18″ with 55mm stem is near perfect for me size wise. If I was doing it again I’d buy the carbon one at £399, but at £599 its just too close to the Ti price!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Maracas what are your thoughts on it, could you not get on with it?

ma-maracas
    Free Member

I love the frame, but I only like to have one mtb and after going back to a hardtail for the last year I have decided that I am going to have to sacrifice a bit of uphill speed and go back to a full sus for a true allrounder.

I had the Whyte 19 trail before the on one and whilst the both descend the same, the On one had it on the climbs. I dont know any other carbon frame out there that comes in close for the money? geometry is sorted so if you are after a hardtail.

@thisisnotaspoon – the 20″ is less than 20mm longer in effective top tube length, but nearly 50mm taller in seatpost tube. So if you end up running a lot of seatpost on a medium frame (18″), then the Large 20″ is probably a better bet. I am 5ft 11 with a 33″ inside leg (long legs) and a 20″ with a 70mm stem is spot on for me (xc / trail centre use), have had the 18″ before and had to run a 400mm post on the min line (not ideal), 20″ is same reach without the seatpost issues.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plenty of seatpost left in my frame so thats not an issue, could probably get away with a 350mm post even. I wouldn’t want the bike any taller/longer though, its already a bit marginal with the gonad/seat clearance at the dirtjumps.

Just been looking at that chinese Ti frame thread, £650 for a fancy Ti frame or £599 for a cabon one…………

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

hora – Member
    paulrockliffe I don’t see the point of building a carbon hardtail upto 30lb?!!

Oh really?

What if I told you that it was kitted out with relatively light-weight carbon finishing kit and all the weight was in the tyres, forks and brakes?

Why do you think weight is an issue at all? How much do you and all your kit weigh? What percentage of total weight is 4lbs?

If that’s your position than a deliberately heavy carbon hardtail isn’t for you. Carbon isn’t about weight, it’s about strength:weight ratio.

It’s an absolute **** hoot! It’s as fast as a hardtail can be downhill and quick enough uphill.

Why wouldn’t you want a bike like that?

ma-maracas
    Free Member

Just been looking at that chinese Ti frame thread, £650 for a fancy Ti frame or £599 for a cabon one…………

Or £400 for my one 😉

ma-maracas
    Free Member

Makes sense to sell it whilst its still practically brand new:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-on-one-456-carbon-hope-headset-saint-bottom-bracket-joplin-4-post

Bargain for anyone looking at buying a new frame!!

goosander
    Free Member

ma-maracas/thisisnotaspoon – I ordered an 18″ Ti 456 last week after spending ages pondering whether 18″ or 20″ would be best – I’m 6′ with 34″ inside leg.

In the end I made a 560 mile round trip to the showroom and sat on both sizes and I’m glad I did. My current 18″ XC bike has plenty of standover and (to my mind) seems on the small side, so I was thinking of gettng the 20″ 456 but after sitting on a 20″ carbon one, I found I had almost no standover clearance on it – must be the long travel forks. Length wise either size would have been OK.

ma-maracas
    Free Member

@goosander, were you kitted up? Haven’t even noticed the stand over on the 20″ so there must be ample – I am running a talas fork, normally set at 130mm. How do you find seat post height on the 18″? when I had the steel version in an 18 I was pretty much on the min line of a thomson 410mm post and as a result it squeaked and can’t be good for frame stress. I am much happier with a 20, so much so that it is the template I am using for my next purchase.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Standover clearance is over-rated anyway, who cares what your bike is like when you’re not riding it?

goosander
    Free Member

On an 18″ there is to my mind quite a lot of seat post showing, though not by some peoples standards! On my current 18″ frame there is about 25cm showing from frame to saddle rails, though I could still raise the saddle by another 8cm before exposing the min insertion mark on my 410mm seatpost.

Originally I was planning on getting the 20″ and reusing my Reba’s on it since I currently don’t do much technical stuff on the HT, but have since decided to make the 456 a trail centre machine as I’m fed up of pedalling the FS bike up hill. The 20″ may have been OK with shorter travel forks, but there was no standover at all with long travel forks on it.

br
    Free Member

Standover clearance is over-rated anyway, who cares what your bike is like when you’re not riding it?

Obviously a man with balls of steel!

+1 for the 20″ been ‘tall’ with a long fork – I only have 2-3 inches of ‘room’, on 35″ inside legs, on a 456Ti.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘456 Carbon – Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.