Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 40th bike
  • Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

This land mark is fast approaching and I’m thinking about a new bike. I’m thinking custom steel road bike. Firstly I have a nice carbon one already and I’m worried I’ll be disappointed with the steel one being heavier, I know this probably not the point of one and it is for ride quality and feel right? Please convince me.

Next thought is where; I’m based in Harrogate and I don’t want to travel too far as I’d like to meet the builder and have a brew to chat through what they can do. Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance

Premier Icon munkeymadness
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering almost this exact scenario recently. Check out Feather cycles

Premier Icon kilo

I was given a Roberts custom made road bike for my 40th by Mrs kilo. Columbus tubing and s and s couplings on mine. It weighs a bit more than my cf bikes but that isn’t an issue l, it’s a perfect fit, rides well and it is also a unique bike. The only cf alternative I’d have looked at would have been an Italian built colnago.
    No idea where Harrogate is but Rourke seems to be the benchmark builder up north. Mercian also always look nice and have some gravitas behind their brand.
    I would add that Roberts took ages so if it’s fast approaching you may want to crack on sharpish

Premier Icon titusrider

Do some excel weight calcs and work out a ballpark of where u might end up if you care about weight. I was looking at custom steel with disc brakes and basically came to the conclusion that the two together would make it disappointingly heavy.

I went custom carbon to try and keep weight down but still have the experience of working with a builder and something designed for me. (This was also pre-race bikes with discs/thru axle/ flat mount being widely available) My build would have been over 8kg on steel

Deffo look through the bespoked show catalogue and see what takes ur fancy!

And I can’t not show you mine
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvM0VvVAQcU

Premier Icon BigJohn

One of my friends has a Rourke bike made to his spec last year. 953 stainless steel and it is a thing of beauty

Premier Icon garage-dweller

40th bike

I’m on hold for fear of divorce at 5…

Premier Icon disben

Literally thought the OP had taken n+1 to the level of 39+1… That would be a big garage!

Premier Icon tomhoward

If you want custom carbon, there’s carbon wasp in Horsforth. Ive no experience of any frames he’s built (seems to do more MTB’s) but he’s always up for a brew and a chat…

Premier Icon Mary Hinge
    Free Member

What about Woodrup?

Up in that there Yorkshire.

I have a lovely 1970s Woodrup, and would have a new one built by them too of I was looking for a new steel roadie.

Premier Icon rogerturner

Woodrup have been building some absolutely stunning bikes recently. Check out their Facebook page.

Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks very much. Yes, I’ve seen Woodrup, look tasty.

Thanks again. Funny I never thought of custom carbon.

Premier Icon Hedgehopper

Arthur Caygill Cycles in Richmond do custom building/fitting. I was recommended them a good few years ago but they’re still going and close enough to pop up and have a chat.

Premier Icon tjagain

For me it would be a Shand. Customisable but at a fairly normal size and shape stockish should be fine for me and they are gorgeous

Premier Icon lunge

It’s my 40th this year too and I too am tempted with a custom steel road bike.
    For me, it’s down to 2 choices, Field Cycles or Rourke.
    Field look bloody lovely but part of me has always wanted a custom Rourke.

Premier Icon slowoldman

How about a Sabbath titanium from Spa Cycles? I think they used to do custom builds, don’t know if they still do.

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

I went through this for my 40th. Had a (getting on a bit) Santa Cruz Roadster and wanted to update it. Tried all sorts. The carbon bikes I tried where just meh. The ti ones were all a bit soft – probably forgiving at the end of a monster day, but not something that made me want to shred. Tried a couple of steel Condors – the Acciao rode brilliantly, but was too relaxed, the Super Acciao too stiff, but handled lovely. The combination put me on the steel trail I looked at Field Cycles who are just down the road from me, lovely paint jobs, but a LOT of money. In the end managed to fit a trip to Enigma in, had a 20 minute ride on an Elite HSS and it was exactly what I was after. A lively involving ride, but without being harsh and it fitted nicely too. A deal was struck (easily and for £1k less than Field) and a few months later it turned up and I couldn’t be happier.

It comes in at a hair under 17lb which isn’t super light, but is light enough. As it’s a summer bike, I don’t miss having discs on it at all, in fact find the modulation of the Super Record callipers way better than the Shimano hydros on my winter roadie. It’s out and about a lot at the moment and I’m really enjoying riding it. 5 years on and all it’s needed is a replacement gear cable.

Premier Icon Spud

Was in the same situation almost 6 years ago, I’d settled on a stainless Rourke, but life events took over when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, and it was put on the back burner. Never did order it, but my wonderful wife did secretly buy me a Dirty Disco. Perhaps for my 50th..

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Based on what a club mate has just had delivered, I’d be off to Rourkes in Stoke.

Though I have a lovely steel Condor Fratello disc (original QR version, which might be heavy but rides like a dream, makes people stop and stare, and bike mechanics wonder why they have carbon bikes.

Currently working on a belated 50th titanium upgrade

Premier Icon ads678

Can’t remember the name but I’m sure there’s a lovely bike builder in Beverley or somewhere near there….

Premier Icon chakaping

Do you actually feel the need for such a bike or are you doing it for the sake of having something special?

Not passing judgement, but it wouldn’t be for me.

I went on a three week trip to the Alps and did the Mega. Ok I didn’t really enjoy the mega week and got my arm broken, but it was still an awesome 40th thing.

Just a thought anyway.

Premier Icon RichPenny

“Internal downtube lunchbox storage – so you’re never more than an arm’s length from a pork pie* [*or other savoury snack]”

Carbon Wasp has my attention. If I went custom, you reckon I could spec a Tunnocks Teacake launcher? Reckon you could get a 10 pack in there…

Premier Icon pilgrimbob
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rourkie that’s 10 years old now. I still love it much as the day it was new. I’m sure it’s not the lightest but it is such a nice bike to ride.

I think a custom bike is actually a good investment as my head is never turned by the latest Tarmac, Madone, Defy, insert bike name here. This bike was made for me, why would I want to replace it.

The trip to Rourkie’s to be measured up was a real treat, I was sat on a bike for size next to Tommy Simpson’s rainbow jersey, there’s one of Cipollini’s bikes hanging in the corner and Sean Kelly’s new bike waiting to be collected, as well as all of the pictures of Nicole Cooke riding on Rourke frames. A special day and definitely part of the exerience.

I can’t recommend enough.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

I’ve only been to Rourkes once when I had half an hour to kill when working nearby. Brian gave me a guided tour of all the memorabilia in the upstairs bar area, possibly my favourite cycling moment ever

Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Thanks all. Lots to consider. Someone did mention the experience instead of a bike and I get that, I tend to agree to an extent. I suppose I have this romantic idea of having a bike for life to look back on with numerous memories.

Premier Icon hammy7272
    Free Member

Wow. Just looked at those Rourke bikes! 🥰

Premier Icon GHill

I went through this recently, and haven’t bought anything. Tempted to just get a nice Bianchi or Colnago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.