Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 40c tyres that don’t mind mud?
  • legend
    Free Member

i’m thinking about putting some slightly bigger tyres on the spare wheels for the cross bike. Makes sense for local tyres where an mtb is generally overkill but it does get tougher than is fun on 33Cs. However most gravel tyres seem to be really focused on that sort of riding, with file treads everywhere. Best I think I’ve found so far are WTB Nanos – anyone got any other suggestions I should look at?

Proper gravel tyres are definitely out as gravel barely features in my local stuff

cheers_drive

Vittoria Terrain mix or wet are available in 40c haven’t tried them but have seen some good reviews

mikewsmith
    Free Member

40mm G One Bites keep on surprising me

robertpb
    Free Member

I have Nanos on my gravel bike but I’ve swopped the front out for a WTB Resolute 42, much better grip for wetter conditions.

harvey
    Free Member

wtb nanos seem to do the job very well. i use them on gravel and light/ muddy single track . good grip throughout

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCX1BE/schwalbe-x-one-bite-evo-liteskin-folding-tyre

33mm, but supposed to be good at dealing with mud.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got the Vittoria Terreno Wet set up tubeless in 40c and they’re really good.

legend
    Free Member

hhmmm maybe I should reign back the ‘mud’ part a little. Got 33c Terreno Wets for racing, so no interest in something like that. Basically they are for everything other than just gravel, but no full-blown CX Somme level riding

geex
    Free Member

Sounds like a couple of Bling blings for the mtb are in order.
    Sort your shit out. Even I’m too young for gravel biking.

legend
    Free Member

The hardtail has semi-slicks for smashing teh gnar with the boy. TBH any mtb is overkill for the trails round here, so I just use the CX bike with its original wheels on, and I **** hate the tyres – 40C Bling Blings is actually exactly what I’m after!

geex
    Free Member

There must be something similar. We used to sell loads of cheap narrow 700c file patern centre knobby edge tyres in the shop in glasgow. Back when 700c mountainbikes were called hybrids like they still should be 😉
    Tried leftfield tyre brands such as Kenda?

mildbore

I’ve just fitted some Spesh Gription in 38mm, measured in my LBS they are actually 41mm wide. Not ridden them yet so can’t comment on performance but they are a decent price

hardtailonly

Continental AT Ride. 42c, although come up narrower than that. Roll much much better than you’d think they would looking at th tread, and cope well with all sorts of off road pretty well. £16ish each from the German online sites.

legend
    Free Member

file patern

That’s the problem, there are hunners with a file tread but there are some straight up grass climbs that are a proper struggle for traction even with something a bit more nobbly – which makes selection a bit of a pain in the balls

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘40c tyres that don’t mind mud?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

How To Wash Your Clothes in the Wil...
Singletrack Video Archive: How To Wash Your Clothes in the Wild (Survivalist Guide)