Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)
  • £400 for a 10 year old Xmas pressie iPad 2 or lap top?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

My daughter needs some sort of lap top/pc for usual kids stuff, internet, photo’s music etc and the odd bit of webcam chat with me.

As a mac owner I’d like to get her an iPad but a lap top would undoubtedly be more capable if needed to be.

My thoughts are a iPad would be more reliable than a £400 lap top which would surely be lower end of the spectrum??

Jamie
    Free Member

Get a laptop. £400 would buy you something very handy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

£400?

For Christmas?

Sweet holy jeebus.

Jamie
    Free Member

£400?

For Christmas?

Sweet holy jeebus.

Oh and this^^ obviously.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What’s wrong with £400 for your daughter for christmas?
    How much domyou love your daughter?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Get a laptop. £400 would buy you something very handy.

£350??

any links/specs appreciated of course

Stoner
    Free Member

Id want at least £20k for each of my sons. Not a penny less.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’d look at an Asus eee transformer.

Nothing wrong with a £400 present. Wait until the car for her 17th birthday (or the insurance).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dell, dell everytime.

Why not ipod?

Jamie
    Free Member

@Mick

Something along these lines.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our daughters’ main present (shared between them) from us is a second hand rocking horse off EBay – £46.

🙁

vorlich
    Free Member

pad, pencil and clip round the ear. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

How much domyou love your daughter?

How much yuo spend and how much you love someone are not linked. You don’t show your love with a checkbook

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Our daughters’ main present (shared between them) from us is a second hand rocking horse off EBay – £46.

Times is tough, I think lots of kids will get a bit of a bite of reality this year

AdamW
    Free Member

And they will love you just as much as if you got them iPads.

If you give them the box it came in to play with they’ll be as happy as, erm, Harriets!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Dell, dell everytime.

NEver again, I bought daughter A one last year and it was utter shit, 5 minutes to boot up fresh out of the box, awful product.

Why not ipod?

She’s got my old one and needs a decent web browser..

Something along these lines.

Cheers Jamie

5thElefant
    Free Member

How much yuo spend and how much you love someone are not linked. You don’t show your love with a checkbook

Well no, not since the credit card and dedit card replaced them a couple of decades ago.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, that’s taken for granted, no one uses checks anymore, grandad!

RealMan
    Free Member

5 minutes to boot up fresh out of the box, awful product.

Don’t laptops take a while on their first set up….?

She’s got my old one and needs a decent web browser..

A 10 year old needs a decent web browser? For what…? Genuinely interested here.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To be fair it isn’t because we can’t afford more as such, but they are young and won’t appreciate it is second hand over buying the same one new for £320.

But I would rather we saved more for important things (such as future uni costs) than spunk loads on presents – their granny and grandad can do that 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A 10 year old needs a decent web browser? For what…? Genuinely interested here.

Well my kids use them for school work, games, googling the hard questions and Moshi Monsters

andrewh
    Free Member

😯 £400 on a christmas present?!
    And for a 10 year old?
    Seriously?
    What does she need one for that can’t be done on the PC in the living room?

5thElefant
    Free Member

You have a PC in the living room? Do you have a photocopier too?

mefty
    Free Member

I use a Sony Vaio with a 11.6″ screen, which costs £380, for my work I would have thought it would be more than sufficient for your daughter.

BTW they are cheques.

anto164
    Free Member

Get a laptop. She can then connect her iphone and share the pictures of her pony with the world.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Well my kids use them for school work, games, googling the hard questions and Moshi Monsters

£400 on a christmas present?!
    And for a 10 year old?
    Seriously?
    What does she need one for that can’t be done on the PC in the living room?

it’s split in half between me and her mother (we’re estranged) and she don’t have a PC in the living room, the only other PC is the mothers work PC which is a Dell and shit too.

looked at the Dell that Jamie kindly linked me too and the website just doithers repeatedly, wether viewed through Chrome or Safari. Not looking good for Dell……

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Vaio for 380?

andrewh
    Free Member

The PC is in the study, but not everyone has a study.
    Anyway, what is the world coming to, something like that will have a life-expectancy of about 3 weeks in the clumsy hands of an average 10 year old. Ask her what she had last year and i’ll bet she can’t remember, or indeed still uses whatever it was.
    [EDIT]

it’s split in half between me and her mother (we’re estranged)

I wonder how much of modern present buying is down to parents competing with each other? At least you have avoid that!

rs
    Free Member

Maybe a case of dad looking for an excuse to buy a new gadget… it’s for the kids… honest!

emsz
    Free Member

will someone please buy me a laptop for £400.

I’ll do stuff

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I knew what TeeJ meant.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

will someone please buy me a laptop for £400.

I’ll do stuff

You gotta call me Daddy

Coyote
    Free Member

Dell are excellent machines. I use a Latitude E6400 and it’s faultless. Bought many desktops and laptops and had little to no trouble with them.

Cougar

Trying to remember what I got for my tenth birthday. I think it was a ZX Spectrum. Can you still get those?

Joking aside, ignoring cost etc the iPad is still a bit, ah, serious, isn’t it? Wouldn’t she rather have a 3DS and Nintendogs?

emsz
    Free Member

Yeah cool mungus, lappy first, right? 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah cool mungus, lappy first, right?

Yeah, for sure! Good idea, start with a lap dance!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Trying to remember what I got for my tenth birthday. I think it was a ZX Spectrum. Can you still get those?

Is that about the same value as an ipad nowadays?

Coyote
    Free Member

Is that about the same value as an ipad nowadays?

Mungo makes a good point.

FWIW, after seeing the robust quality of Apple product and their resilience to being dropped much more than 3″, it would be the last thing I would give to a 10 y/o. Get the laptop.

AdamW
    Free Member

Yeah, for sure! Good idea, start with a lap dance!

Well if you insist. Which do you prefer: leopard or tiger thong? Seriously though, does my bum look big in this? 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I knew what TeeJ meant.

Only cuz ur old looooool!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘£400 for a 10 year old Xmas pressie iPad 2 or lap top?’ is closed to new replies.