Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 40 v 42t sprocket rear cassette
  • ferrals
    Free Member

My old cassete is on its last legs (11-42t) so ordered a new one but went for 11-40t. Reasoning being most of the time I find the jump to 42t too much and I’m spinning more than I’d like, but the 37 i touch too hard. However, after a muddy ride this morning when I needed the 42 occaisonally, I’m now wondering if I’ve done the wrong thing.

34t front ring and 650b wheels FWIW.

Does anyone have any experiance with switching from 42 to 40 and if its noticably harder?

wiggles
    Free Member

Fit a 32 chainring?

km79
    Free Member

I run a 11-40 on one bike and a 11-42 on another, both 29ers with 30 up front, there is a difference but not anything you don’t get used to.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ferrals
    Free Member

wiggles – Member

Fit a 32 chainring?

No, 34f 11r is a good top gear for me. I’d rather get used to 40t as I imagine it will make me marginally faster on climbs when I’m in the bail out gear (do a lot of racing so a consideration). Was just having secodn thoughts, as I always do with any component change 😳

km79 – Member

I run a 11-40 on one bike and a 11-42 on another, both 29ers with 30 up front, there is a difference but not anything you don’t get used to.

Thanks km79, more or less what I was expecting to hear but good to get the re-assurance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

5% harder. 40% of the jump to the 37.

Swap your 34t for a 34 oval?

ferrals
    Free Member

5% harder.

Why didn’t I just think of calculating it 😳 5% harder sounds perfect actually 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘40 v 42t sprocket rear cassette’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts