Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 40 Sheckles for this?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Just had this utterly baffling exchange that I suspect might tickle some of you on facebook marketplace, which is sometimes great but sometimes, as both a buyer and seller, a bit wearisome.

It was all a bit like this-

For reference, it was for a set of cranks which he’d advertised at £160. Still utterly baffled by it, I was essentially holding cash in front of his face by the end of it. I’ve had far cheekier haggles almost every time I’ve advertised on here!

Me: Would you accept £135?

Him: £150 it is in very good condition

Me: Could we meet in the middle at £145 posted?

Him: It wasn’t priced posted so how is that meeting in the middle?

Me: The middle of £135 and £150 is £142.50, plus £2.50 for second class post.

Him: It’s not a bloody letter, when was the last time you posted a parcel? 1980?
    I don’t need the money and I certainly don’t need a tight fisted piss taker lowballing against what is clearly a very good price. I think I’ll just keep it and build up another bike to put it on

Me: Alright, if you do £150 posted I’ll have them.

Him: No the price was not posted, you’re taking the piss.

Go harass someone for some bargain basement running shoes and jog on

Me: I’m happy with the £150 you suggested. If you can post it with Royal Mail for £2.62 (royal mail 2nd class small parcel according to their website) then I’ll pay for that on top.

Him: And look how successful your normal haggling has been, you’ve definitely saved some money now as you won’t be spending any. It’s already priced low, if you can’t see that then perhaps a pair of second hand spectacles might be a better choice. The price i give you is the price I sell for. Good luck finding one cheaper or in even reasonable condition anywhere near this price.

Me: Sorry if I’ve rubbed you up the wrong way. If you’ll still take the £150 you suggested plus post I’ll take them from you.

Him: Also postage is not that cheap as I don’t send valuable items by Royal Mail as they’re a bunch of thieving [terribly rude word].
    Have a nice day

Me: What postage amount do you suggest? Provided you don’t use Hermes I’d be interested.

And there it ends. How odd 😕

honourablegeorge

I’d have walked away at his second comment

nickc

and I certainly don’t need a tight fisted piss taker lowballing against what is clearly a very good price.

…Is the point I’d be like “thanks, have a nice life” when did insulting potential customers become a thing?

retro83
    Free Member

To be honest, he’s made you look a bit of a cock there 😆

Go harass someone for some bargain basement running shoes and jog on

😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s how 90% of my ebay conversations go at the moment.

It’s a negotiation, unless you actually have something to offer (like you want to buy 4 of them and ask for a discount) just pay the price I’ve listed it at or sod off.

…Is the point I’d be like “thanks, have a nice life” when did insulting potential customers become a thing?

the moment it becomes clear that they’re never actually going to buy it, then they’re fair game.

It’s not like I’m a shop selling the same item repeatedly and he can come back next week and extract some sort of revenge after I’ve sold it for the asking price is it?

kcal

that’s quite funny !

munrobiker
    Free Member

Probably has, but I still have £150 at least!

midlifecrashes

Hang on. £160 for second hand cranks? Are they Kashima coated gold plated or what?

trail_rat
    Free Member

And this is why low balling often bites back.

Not specifically you munrobiker but over the years i have found that low ballers always present problems even if you do get their price up with a counter offer.

Now i just ignore low ballers – unless they are standing at my house looking at the product and have pointed out issues that warrent a lower price.

The old addege that if you don’t offend with your first offer it’s too high don’t cut it.it just marks you out as a pain in the hoop ime. You might get lucky once in a while but you will miss out on more.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Plastic.

jekkyl

weren’t you listening, the price wasn’t including posting. 😀

legend
    Free Member

I like him 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I like his style. And he’s right, you aren’t very good at haggling 😆

funkmasterp

I keep getting people on eBay with the “what’s your lowest price for cash” what they fail to understand is that I actually prefer bank transfer as that doesn’t involve me having to go to the bank to put the bloody money in. It’s not 1970 on a market stall. Get fed up of responding to some of them.

That guy seems quite amusing. It would have been much quicker if you’d just paid the £160 😉

scrumfled
    Free Member

So you were happy paying pretty much full whack? Seems both sides ended up cutting their noses off 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Correct answer for what’s the best price for cash is 10 quid more than what it was advertised at 😉

wwaswas

He did have a point on the postage, I’d want to use an insured service. If I was selling.

You did nearly argue it back up to the original selling price though, so top marks for that.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I appreciate this isn’t my finest hour 8)

nickc

TINAS, it wasn’t the negotiation, it was just the insulting that I found weird.

how hard is “the price is £150, thanks”

everyone thinks they’re in the Cantina doing deals for Jabba 🙄

Drac

Am I missing something?

scaredypants

no, munrobiker is – a crankset

soobalias
    Free Member

its not your least finest either tho munrob

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Can you post the eBay link?

You can then have them from me for £160……

Plus postage

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

everyone thinks they’re in the Cantina doing deals for Jabba

And eveyone think’s they’re some negotiations guru if they ask to meet halfway.

What, halfway between what I think is the market price, and some random number you’ve plucked from the air? The fact you want to meet halfway immediately tells the other person that you don’t really think the first offer you made was what it was worth!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Flashinthepan- he has, in a real case of cutting your nose off to spite your face, deleted the advert completely. So I’ve now ruined this for everyone else.

Soobalias – do you know me? 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

So he’s on ere then 😉

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Ha

Deleted the ad!

He’s got class. I like him

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

everyone thinks they’re in the Cantina doing deals for Jabba

😆

Thoroughly entertaining munro..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Case in point, just (5 minutes ago) sold a controller on ebay, BIN for £350 with a best offer facility that ebay wont let me remove.

His offer 250,

my counter £350

him £300

me £350

him – accepts

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah I like him.

Someone above said something about “insulting potential customers” he’s not in business, this is a fair exchange of goods for money, no party is greater than any other.

This shouldn’t be taken as a dig at the OP, but as a rule consumers are a total pain in the arse most of us could do without, second-hand buyers are usually the very worst – why do you think eBay get away with charging such massive margins? Because they act a barrier between seller and buyer, even then you get besieged by people who want to remove that barrier and offer piss taking amounts “because it’ll be less than eBay charge” yeah but then I wouldn’t have to deal with your BS. I avoid, like the plague, the “end it early” crowd, they’ve already proven they’ve no problem with breaking the rules to save a quid, the exact type of thinking that starts the old “not as advertised, partial refund” nonsense.

Seller doesn’t need £150, or £135, doesn’t sound like he needs the arseache either – we don’t know what cranks they are or what they’re “really worth” but seller has taken the easy route – sell them for less than everyone else, someone will gladly take them no fuss, then comes the fuss. I don’t blame him, this “the customer is always right” shit is an Americanism, best avoided, stand up for yourself.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Should have seen the offers i got fir selling a gold sivereign on ebay.

Give or take a quid thats a known value but 100 quid less to save on fees… haud me back.

chakaping
    Free Member

Excellent stuff.

You must’ve really wanted those cranks.

Flaperon

Him: It’s not a bloody letter, when was the last time you posted a parcel? 1980?

Made me laugh… 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

Should have seen the offers i got fir selling a gold sivereign on ebay.

Give or take a quid thats a known value but 100 quid less to save on fees… haud me back.

leffeboy

Was funny. Did it come with a rock?

martinhutch

I’m picturing him sitting in the LBS equivalent of this.

cookeaa

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘40 Sheckles for this?’ is closed to new replies.