Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • 4-week school trip to Ecuador
  • stormtrooper
    Free Member

Stepdaughter is in year 10 and has the opportunity to go on a 4-week expedition to Ecuador next year with her school, in partnership with Camps International. During the trip she can qualify for her PADI Open Water Diving certificate, something she seems keen on doing.

I’m not familiar with Camps International but apparently they are ‘global leaders in ethical and sustainable school expeditions offering fully supported life-enhancing school expeditions across Africa, Asia, South and Central America’

She seems really keen to go on this trip and I’m sure it would be a richly rewarding experience for her, especially at this time of her life, but her Mum and I have serious reservations mainly regarding her safety while she is out there, but also how we would go about raising the £4k cost

We have a presentation evening tonight where we will find out all the details but in the meantime does anyone have experience of Camps International or even just 4-week school trips to South America?

Any advice welcome, cheers

wwaswas

Have the school sent kids on similar trips in the past? Maybe try and contact parents from those?

johndoh
    Free Member

Speaking as a dad of two Yr 5 girls knowing what is coming around the corner and speaking as one of the kids who was never able to go on school ski trips, adventure holidays etc. I honestly think they should stop all of these absurdly expensive trips abroad – all it does is sort out the rich kids from the ones from normal backgrounds.

MoreCashThanDash

No direct experience on that type of trip,but this year we’ve been fundraising over £4k for trips my two are making, happy to offer ideas if you end up needing them – first one being any money they get for Christmas and birthdays goes into the “trip” lot, plus what you would have spent on the family holiday you can no longer afford!

DezB
    Free Member

4 grand?! for a school trip? Flippin ‘ell. Spoilt little gets.
    She can do the PADI course over here a little bit cheaper.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We had this two years ago with a “once in lifetime trip” to Malawi, I came out of the presentation and wanted to go ffs! It was a slick, quick, very well presented affair which hadnt just been cobbled together, imagine time share quality.
    It left a LOT of parents feeling inadequate and some even left during the presentation when costs started to be mentioned. Several of our daughters friends went and at first she was hugely disappointed that we said it wasn’t happening, she’d never really been told no before but it was such a huge amount of money for a holiday for one member out of a family of four.
    Many signed up and paid deposits, some kids did really well with the fund raising (only so much bag packing at Morrison’s can be done) and some ended with grandma paying 3k towards it, one girl even started selling her clothes to pay, others just dropped out.
    The kids all survived, one has unfortunately come back with an m e type condition where she’s permanently fatigued, the others well no one really said it was life changing.
    Left me feeling a bit bad as a dad but she went on to have a great summer last year with her other friends doing loads of other stuff including her first solo festival and the ncs scheme.

sharkbait
    Free Member

4 week trip for a 10 year old? Bonkers. Don’t forget the £4k will not include spends.
    Plenty of opportunity when they’re a little older.

My eldest (19) is currently doing 10 weeks in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Oz with 3 friends on an organised (STA) trip – costs more this way but I think it’s much safer and is still much less than £1k/week and that includes flights, accommodation, trips, food and all spends.
    She worked and saved just over half the total cost.
    I also doubt a 10 year old would really appreciate the location/opportunity as much as they might when they’re older.

Purely my opinion….. YMV.

tall_martin

£4 k!

Flight to Oz, £1k, padi course in cairns £1k

Leaving £2k to travel about and do stuff

Stick it in an account until she is 18?

convert

4 week trip for a 10 year old? Bonkers.

Reread – 4 week trip for a year 10 going next year – so in year 11 – i.e. at 16 years old.

Still very long but not as bonkers.

I’d imagine the vfm on what is a chaperoned trip with all the costs that entails is not too bad but that is still too much money to justify. No parent should expected to find that much money and no child should expect that to be spent on them. The impact on what the remainder of the family could do would be too great. If it’s the sort of thing she’d want to do in the future help her too look at doing it in a gap year or summer holiday between A levels and uni with friends with her raising the bulk of it through Saturday jobs etc. Arguably less safe but also more life affirming than a cosseted trip at 16.

Also – I think for economic and environmental reasons we should be educating our youth about what can be done closer to home. The UK and Europe are brilliant and still mostly unexplored by your average 16 year old. You don’t need to travel half way around the world to get your wow moment as a 16 year old (or an adult come to that).

NZCol

I honestly think that’s madness. Our school does this sort of stuff (and its a fee paying school) and i was in a meeting where there was a general concensus that this stuff was getting out of hand costwise.

jimdubleyou

They came into Mrs Dubs school – she wasn’t impressed.

Fundraising is onerous when also studying for exams / whatever other extra curricular she does. Once you’ve started paying, there are cutoff points where you can’t get your money back.

I would be more inclined to spend the money on travelling later.

anagallis_arvensis

. I honestly think they should stop all of these absurdly expensive trips abroad – all it does is sort out the rich kids from the ones from normal backgrounds.

I agree 100%

wrightyson
    Free Member

We did exactly as others have said above, we promised the money for future travel done through a “GCSE results incentive” unfortunately this was done after a few beers and our daughter smashed her gcses which cost me 500 quid, I upped the ante for a levels with a single one off payment for 3 a’s…..
    Her mock results have left me uneasy!

bikebouy
    Free Member

The opportunity sounds amazing IMO, but from what lots of others have posted I too would say “nah” wait till you are 18 love.

And I wouldn’t put any money into an organisation that says “nope, can’t have your money back”

Banks, quite helpful in situations like these.

stormtrooper
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far

Just to confirm, she would be in Year 11 / 16yrs old next year if she went on the trip

What I also have to consider is that I have two other kids (twins) who are a year younger so if we say yes to one we have to say yes to all of them. And that’s a lot of money before you even start to think about Uni fees, driving lessons, car insurance etc etc which is all just around the corner… Kids eh, who’d have ’em?!

onehundredthidiot

I did a part funded week(some commonwealth fund) to Zambia a few years ago and it’s was really tough on the fundraising front. By the time the bag packing, bake sales, car washing etc had been done it’d been easier stumping up the cash. Some groups, rotary etc will have funds for these types of thing but to be fair it’s quite a toughy.

I looked at running this type of trip (basically a really nice holiday) and there were weekends away training for the kids, medical training for adults. So not just a pay up, pack up and go. Don’t underestimate the staff commitment, they’ll have earned a pint by the time they get back. (And will probably never volunteer again)

sarawak
    Free Member

I know someone who went on one of these trips. Guatemala I think this was. Yes, the girl learned to scuba dive, and went to places most of us will never see. But it cost an arm and a leg over the advertised price. All the clothing and gear requirements were sent out after the booking!!! Then there’s the problems of being stuck half way round the world with a bunch of folk you might not want to spend 4 weeks cooped up with. Emotional 16 year old girls will argue!!! And all those hunky macho instructors with all those muscles and good looks…..
    Lots of long and expensive mobile phone calls home and worry on parent’s part. She said she enjoyed it, but everyone gets the impression that she’s just saying that for form’s sake.

Really looks like a first world set up; take the kids somewhere exotic, get parents to pay, and someone will make a lot of money out of it.

You can get a diving certificate for a lot less than this will cost. Strikes me as being similar to the trips to climb Kilimanjaro for free as long as you raise £5,000 “for charity”. But perfect parents will always send spolit kids on these things

jimdubleyou

You can get a diving certificate for a lot less than this will cost.

You can become a certified diving instructor for about the same money

scaredypants

kid in our village went to Japan with the scouts a while back. He was bloody lucky to be the only one, as a lot of his funding was from slightly crap “events” that he set up – I mean, he worked hard at it but ultimately it was just local families overpaying for stuff

mick_r

So will the trip be during year 11, or over the yr 10-11 summer?

I’ve just had one go through yr 11 and GCSEs and it was a hell of a lot of work to get good results with the new format / syllabus. I really wouldn’t want 4 weeks of distraction mixed in with that (and school shouldn’t be encouraging it).

Youngest is now in a similar situation with a USA ski trip planned for March of yr 11 (so right before GCSEs). We said no to that – partly due to timing and partly due to cost. A more modest 1 week European ski trip could have been done a year earlier with less disruption and a cost that opened it up to a wider range of kids.

Harry_the_Spider

Won’t be happening with us. The Boy starts High School this year and The Girl two years after. There’s no way we can afford to send them both away for that sort of money. We will break it to them many years before though.

sepultura
    Free Member

we should also ban any cars/houses/power kites that are too expensive to afford for people earning the national average wage. Why should other people have nice things just because they have more money to spend?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I missed out on a lot of foreign school trips because my mum and dad couldn’t afford it so if you can’t afford it then don’t be scared or ashamed to say no…its a hell of a lot of money….and 4 weeks is a bit long to be out and away from home (maybe that’s just me). They have the rest of their lives to accumulate life experiences so no rush to take advantage of this opportunity.

convert

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far

Just to confirm, she would be in Year 11 / 16yrs old next year if she went on the trip

What I also have to consider is that I have two other kids (twins) who are a year younger so if we say yes to one we have to say yes to all of them. And that’s a lot of money before you even start to think about Uni fees, driving lessons, car insurance etc etc which is all just around the corner… Kids eh, who’d have ’em?!

I’d think hard about if you really want to go to the presentation this evening. I very much doubt you’ll see anything that will be reason enough for her not to go. By going you are effectively saying to your daughter that it is something you would like her to go on. If at a later date you say the money can’t be justified you’ll look an utter git in her eyes. You should only go if the money is already committed and are happy to spend it if you like what you see.

Youngest is now in a similar situation with a USA ski trip planned for March of yr 11 (so right before GCSEs). We said no to that – partly due to timing and partly due to cost. A more modest 1 week European ski trip could have been done a year earlier with less disruption and a cost that opened it up to a wider range of kids.

Schools are keen on North American ski trips because of the tougher controls on booze. It takes a huge chunk of the hassle out of running a trip. I know people who will volunteer to use a week of holiday to take a ski trip away but only if it’s to North America. Most schools have been burnt at some point in the past.

dair86
    Free Member

Oft, 4k for a school trip.

When I was in 1st year of high school 1998, I came home with the letter to send me on the school ski trip. Around 500quid for a week in italy.

Being a family who ski, with myself starting at aged 3. My old man had the hindsight to talk me out of it. I would have been bored stuck in ski school with my mates who were learning and I’d be wanting to blast down blacks and ski out of bounds.

His alternative was a much more promising affair. A week skiing in chamonix where we would hire a guide and ski the Valley Blanche. Still ranks in my top 3 days ever. Including my wedding day.

This was the start of a lot of big adventures as a family. Road trips, heli skiing, diving holidays.

Now aged 33 and my old man in his 60s we still adventure together.

I’d have a think about the adventures and memories 4k could bring you as a family.

Just my opinion. Other wise 4k gets shot of her for a month.

matt_outandabout

OP – Camps International is not a ‘partner’, they’re a profit making company with an obscure system of companies registered at companies House, seems like dormant company and only operated since 2017 yet history (unpublished) back to 2009. I’d ask some steep questions about them being partners with the school…

Regarding all these big camps and trips, I’m a fan and think they have their place.

That said, so many are run by commercial companies out to make a good chunk of the cost as profit. Better partners include BSES, Project Malawi and partnerships with NGO’s in developing countries.

Safety standards are variable, to day the least.

I object to the cost – many seem to decide wonderful places to go, rather than pragmatic places that can be just as adventurous.

I object that due to cost they are highly selective, and often end up with Tarauin’s parents asking me to sponsor or donate for him to go, when mine can’t afford to go.

I would rather the schools looked at a trip to somewhere more affordable and adventurous – they do exist.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Jolly good!

too expensive to afford for people earning the national average wage. Why should other people have nice things just because they have more money to spend?

4k to send one kid on holiday is hardly national average money.
    We don’t spend 4k on holidays for all of us in a year let alone one of us.like I said in my first post, the presentation we were at made you feel like your kid needed to be there.
    I spoke to the headmaster several times in the weeks after the initial presentation and he was uneasy about the whole thing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Emotional 16 year old girls will argue!!! And all those hunky macho instructors with all those muscles and good looks…..

You make it sound like the girls will be fighting over the hunks 🤣🧟‍♂️🕺

the00
    Free Member

I did a World Challenge trip at the age of 18, which is probably a similar idea. At the time 4 weeks in Costa Rica sounded super exotic and a brilliant trip to aim for after finishing A-levels. It sold very strongly on working as a team to fund raise together… it was something like £2.5k.
    In reality I quickly worked out that I made more money per hour in a Saturday job than I did in a group working with eejits to squeeze money from friends and family.
    The trip was a great experience, and was quite a safe way to learn how to travel – with an outdoor leader and a teacher from the college. We had input into the itinerary, but it was all professionally arranged so we didn’t have to make any reservations etc. I don’t think we even had to read a bus timetable.
    The main learning experience for me was that travel really isn’t difficult, and that a target and a little planning can go a long way. I was grateful for that lesson, but I could have got a lot more for £2.5k.
    If I was advising my teenage self I’d ask why specifically that trip (which would mostly boil down to friends are doing it). I’d then give ’em a guide book and tell ’em I’d pay for the flights if they could work out the rest.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What I also have to consider is that I have two other kids (twins) who are a year younger so if we say yes to one we have to say yes to all of them

Same here…. very worrying.

I went on a school skiing trip when I was about 9. Broken my leg on the second day and spent the rest of the week either in hospital or in the hotel reception with the kid who broke his leg on the first day!

I didn’t get to go on any trips after that.

ctk
    Free Member

No from me, too expensive, too young, too long.

Spend the money on a hol or save for her to go backpacking later.

johndoh
    Free Member

that’s a lot of money before you even start to think about Uni fees, driving lessons, car insurance etc etc

There is that too – we have started a savings account (£100 a month for each of them) for the Uni fees (or to help support our twins in whatever route they decide to take) so they should have a decent leg up when they get to 18 but we’d need to be finding another £100 a month from now (to save for the next six years) in order to have that sort of money to pay for a school trip in yr 11.

As I child I did get upset at never being one of the kids that got to hand the form back in but as an adult I now fully understand my parents did what they could for us all. I just wasn’t lucky enough to have rich parents or grand-parents.

tomcrow99

I went kayaking in Ecuador for 6 weeks in 2005 as part of a wider trip through South and Central America,its a great place and I’d love to go back. Quito was a bit dodgy (as with most developing countries capitals) but the rest of the country felt safe, back then at least.
    Lovely people, incredibly varied landscapes, really interesting. I would highly recommend visiting.
    It was very cheap back then, $10 a night for decent accommodation, $5 for steak and chips in a nice restaurant. Most expensive meal I ate was guinea pig.

It would undoubtedly be a great trip and she’d get a lot out of it. A friends daughter went to Belize at the same age on a similar trip, enjoyed the experience but got seriously fed up of the company after 4 weeks of close quarters accommodation and activities.

Wait for a gap year and she could go round the world for that sort of cash.
    I learned to dive in Beleize whilst travelling for not much money. We tagged onto a trip like this (after finishing up kayaking) https://www.gadventures.co.uk/trips/best-of-central-america/CRBA/
    could do that with a flight for £2k if you wanted something a bit more organised.

DezB
    Free Member

Why should other people have nice things just because they have more money to spend?

Wasn’t Thatcher’s Britain great.

handybar
    Free Member

Whatever happened to the day trip to France?
    My fear would be homesickness.

johndoh
    Free Member

Why should other people have nice things just because they have more money to spend?

Err because they are school kids and the school should be encouraging activities the majority (if not all) can afford to do. If the rich kids’ parents have money to burn, have a nice holiday outside of the school environment – there are plenty of organisations that would be happy to take their money.

rickmeister

I’m a non parent and I think that Matt and I come from the same place thinking wise. The organisations he mentions have a great track record and the concept is probably tested and supported to a greater degree…

Something not mentioned so far is Outward Bound, the original adventure educator set up in the 1940’s by Kurt Hahn. OB was and still is a fantastic set of memories and set my curiosity going for later life adventures… I did teh course there at 16yrs old. The “Standard” course is great and although it may not have the cachet of Ecuador.. it will give some incredible lifelong learning with a very well established background of safety and safeguarding….

https://www.outwardbound.org.uk

Home

tonyg2003

Even here in deepest Surrey I’ve not heard of a 4K school trip for a state school.

MrsG’s school does a low cost trip every year to Tanzania where the pupils build schools and teach the local kids. They also raise more to give to the local Tanazian charities / NGO. Seems like a much better option.

Never did any foreign school trips when I was at school (but making up for the foreign travel now!)

johndoh
    Free Member

I object to the cost – many seem to decide wonderful places to go, rather than pragmatic places that can be just as adventurous.

Yeah I agree – our girls went on a residential to a local Outdoor Education Centre last autumn and loved it – they did all the usual stuff (kayaking, climbing, caving etc) and they still talk about it now and want to do more things like it.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I have been on two trips as a member of staff both of which were a two week duration (India & Morocco). They involved…. acclimatisation to the country, voluntary work, expedition such as trekking the tea plantations or summitting Toubkal, R&R. A 4 week stint would be pretty tough, the kids i’ve worked with have just about had enough at the end of the 2 weeks.
    Students fund raise in various ways, bag packs, sponsored walks, washing cars at school, sweet stalls, race nights, curry nights etc. If some students are struggling we will help them out in school where we can. Due to the demographics of the school we find some parents just pay for the trip whilst others fund raise the entire amount. My observation would be that the students that fund raise get more from it.
    We use a company called outlook, very good and very professional. They have an ops room in the UK that is manned 24/7, they also have people in country that they can call on if they encounter any problems. We had a schedule and were required to check in on certain days. Other safety measures included a very comprehensive first aid certificate and a direct contact number for a doctor. As well as myself and another staff member from the school the expedition was lead by a member of staff from outlook, usually somebody that is ML qualified.
    Most of your questions will be answered at the presentation evening but as suggested try and find first hand information such as blogs etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘4-week school trip to Ecuador’ is closed to new replies.