Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • 4 week plan to make me fitter, lighter, healthier
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Spring is here and I am currently mostly uninjured with the broken ribs just about healed so I thought I would get a bit fit for the summer. I thought a simple 4 week kick start would be easy but Google reveals a bazillion choices so I ignored that and came to STW for the TRUTH.I want to lose some weight, get fitter for long bike rides and hills, gain greater flexibility and become handsome. I will settle for 3 out of 4 of those and have about 1 hour a day, more at weekends, to achieve it.

Now
    Currently weigh just under 100KG down from 120KG in September. Weight loss so far due to stopping drinking. Diet is good and confirmed by a medical nutritionist as balanced and suitable etc at the same time as I quit drinking. My only working bike is a gravel bike and I can comfortably cycle around 30 miles but 40 or more begins to tire me. My torso/back is stiff from years of injuries and most recently staying very still while four broken ribs healed.

4 Week Target
    Lose a couple of KG
    Cycle further, faster and with less recovery time
    Touch my toes or get into the car without making funny noises

Excuses
    No time, it is raining, I am tired, just no.

If I get a good plan, I will base line my current state this week and then post weekly/regular updates during April.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Intervals on the turbo trainer (Was going to suggest rollers but given it’s you…)

Lightly interspersed with Bodyweight cardio circuits (any Joe wicks style half hour jobbie will do)

Rest day Fri/sat followed by a as long as you can manage going steady on the pushbike

chakaping
    Free Member

get fitter for long bike rides and hills

Do more long bike rides with hills for the next four weeks.

And the turbo idea above is good, or just go harder up the hills when riding.

Personally, I think it can be counter-productive trying to make too many lifestyle changes at the same time, get one thing bedded in (riding more) then add another.

djambo
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re already on the path. Maybe look to add:

– 20-30 mins daily of youtube yoga to improve flexibility
    – 10-15 mins daily of calisthenics (google ‘convict conditioning’ for a simple routine requiring no equipment) to improve strength and conditioning
    – ensure some of your bike rides are specific (maybe try some interval sessions) to increase speed/endurance

Good luck and keep us posted on rogress!

13thfloormonk

4 Week Target
    Lose a couple of KG
    Cycle further, faster and with less recovery time
    Touch my toes or get into the car without making funny noises

2kg in 4 weeks needs a 3500kCal a week deficit, or 500kCal a day. This is usually touted as the maximum ‘sustainable’ weight loss you can achieve so no bad thing. also don’t overestimate what your ‘recommended’ daily intake is. As a relatively lean 6ft desk worker, I was disappointed to leann that the standard NHS allowance of 2500kCal a day was probably ‘generous’.

Hard intervals on the turbo might help the weight loss but I don’t think they’ll help with generally feeling better on the bike, and I reckon it will take 4 weeks or so for you to properly get into the groove and start being able to do the workouts properly anyway (i.e. pacing them right etc.). I’d just do lots of easy riding and allow yourself a wee dig every now and then on a fun bit.

Best bit about easy riding is you don’t need to worry so much about recovery etc and rides under two hours probably don’t even need any food. Helps you get used to position on bike again as well.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hmm, next one to mention sitting on a turbo-trainer gets hit with the ban hammer. It is spring and the evenings are light again so should be enjoying outside

stevious

I’ve had a few ‘time off bike’ episodes in the last few years and I’m fairly convinced that one of the things that helped me the most is consistent strength & mobility exercise. I currently use the Yoga workouts on the sufferfest app – just 15 mins a day. I’m sure there are lots of free videos on youtube that you can try out to see if you like it and/or it helps. For me it just helps me to feel more efficient and durable on the bike with less overall fatigue as the rides get longer.

judetheobscure
    Free Member

I’m 25kg into my weight loss goal; not sure if I’m still trying to lose weight at the moment but another 5-6kg would be good.

You can lose about 1kg a week if you’re really disciplined and reduce your intake to about 1200-1500 a day (1200 on a non exercise day, 1500 if you do 60-90 minutes or moderate exercise). This is how I’ve managed it. Losing the weight will automatically mean you can ride longer and/or faster without fatiguing so readily. Also try riding early morning before you’ve eaten – just a cup of coffee as this can help promote fat burning during exercise.

Good luck!

bigdean

Similar hear, +16st (but 6’6) I’m just riding more and enjoying not being in the gym.
    If I can do a couple of hours and feel it in the legs then each week will get better the more I push distance and effort.
    I just want to enjoy being out on the bike after so long not being able to.

Saying that 15min stretching every morning with old man noises is the start to the day.

Edit: my diet starts in the shop if I don’t buy it I can’t eat it when evening nibbles kick in.

joebristol

For me I’ve gone from 84kgs at the start of 2021 to about 75kgs now and feel so much better on the bikes.

My biggest thing has been controlled calories – it sounds like you have that under control. On a non-exercise day I work to 1750 calories. On an exercise day I just take the calories burned and eat enough to cover those. Use the ‘Lose It’ app to track my intake – it’s amazing how little things here and there can bump you way over your target without realising.

Fitness wise I’ve been using a turbo trainer and swimming in the main – I have done sporadic weight training bwteeen injuries! Think I overdid it on the overhead dumbell tricep extensions and gave myself tennis elbow I think. Laid off for a bit and it’s calmed down so gradually building that back up.

If you want to get out on the bike then maybe plan some circular routes with big hills in – so you can repeat them as an interval several times in your ride out. If you have Strava live segments you can star the hills and it goads you into trying to beat your pb I find.

Swimming is decent to add in once or twice a week – it takes me just over 40 mins to do a mile (64 lengths in a 25m pool) and I think that’s between a 300-350 calorie burn session and it’s very low impact on your joints.

toby1

20kg in 5 months from JUST cutting drinking? How much were you drinking and was it pints of Baileys?

I jest really, but that’s a substantial loss, well done.

Personally, I’d just enjoy some longer rides and not worry about the ‘maximum’ you can do, if you push too hard, it might result in a WorldClassAccident, again!

Also, please buy a sack barrow, the degloving part of your previous post made me feel a bit sick!

wbo
    Free Member

I’d add another vote for daily yoga as well, and as you’re time limited , self confessedly rigid (!) and probably a bit weak I’d stick to 10 minutes a day and be consistent. I like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2nLhg-tcM . You should be able to sneak this in outside of your hour..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

So here is the plan.

Diet – pretty much leave as it is. This means there is no impact for MrsWCA who feeds me and following the medical assessment last year, and weight loss since, that is pretty good and easily sustainable for the foreseeable future.
    Yoga – 15 to 30 minutes a daily based on YouTube / Wii Fit Yoga coach
    Cycling – At least 2 x 20-30 miles plus a week with one ‘base line’ route to monitor changes – probably one evening and 1 weekend
    Swimming – At least 2 x 60 lengths in a 25m pool – I should squeeze this into the hour if I get there a bit quick

I can easily log the exercise but calories and intake is harder as food is prepared fresh and unless I sit and watch MrsWCA prepare all the food. She doesn’t use written recipes, and I am not sure how I would calculate the portion size based on a spoonful of this and a pouring of that etc. I can record the consumption outside of meals I suppose but as I don’t like cakes and sweets that is mainly fruit and veg. I guess cans of alcohol beer count even though they are only 29 Kcal per can.

I will record my average morning weight and wear a Vivio Active and average my heart rate recording between now and Friday. I will then start this new regime and give weekly updates.

Sound reasonable?

Suggested enhancements?

joebristol

I’m no expert but if you want to get better at rides over 30 miles then 2 x 20-30mile rides a week probably aren’t ideal.

I’d split that into one shorter but more intense ride and then a 40 miler lower intensity ride I think. The intervals should help you build power and stretch your cardio and the the 40 miler will get you more into distance.

For example near me there’s a lap I can do that’s probably a couple of miles ish. However it’s got a hill that takes 3-4 mins to get up and then another shorter less steep hill that’s a couple of mins long. You then have one big descent to get back to the bottom. One lunchtime a few years ago I just lapped that as many times as I could fit in and I really attacked the 3-4 min long hill each time. Got my heart rate right up to the high 170’s / low 180’s then it got a chance to drop on the rest of the lap.

TiRed

I will record my average morning weight

Once a week is enough, preferably at the same time.

Eat (a little) less, move (a little) more. Sadly it’s the former that really leads to lighter. An hour of brisk walking, or even jogging, will see bigger gains and a nice way to enjoy the evenings. Your cycling sounds fine already.

MoreCashThanDash

When I remember/can be arsed, I try and do Kassandras 30 minute beginners yoga routine off YouTube – twice a week and I can feel improvements

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

You’re not too far from me wca, so if you don’t want turbo sessions, go do intervals up the numerous ramps around Midanbury’s Witt’s Hill plateau.

Further afield, mix up ways up Beacon Hill, or another good one is the rollercoaster of short hills between Morestead Hill from Winchester and the end of Corhampton Lane by Beacon Hill Lane base.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will try that YouTube video

I will make it a shorter week day ride and a longer weekend ride.

Weekly Average just covers me for when I forget. It probably won’t be every day but might be two or three weigh ins.

Do more, consume less has been working so far but it has begun to plateau since I bust the ribs as this chart shows. The sudden blip towards the end was caused by my body swelling following the accident and the effects of less activity are clear from the reduced rate of weight loss. I am thinking a month of increased activity will help get it back on target.

Pieface

Skip breakfast

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Skip breakfast

Not too many calories in a large cup of black expresso

stcolin
    Free Member

Those begineer Yoga videos crack me up. Assumes everyone has the suppleness of the person doing the video. I can’t even do the first one ffs!

Good luck with the challenge. I have been trying to do a begineer FTP builder on Zwift, but now 4 weeks have passed and I’ve only managed 2 weeks worth.

13thfloormonk

Skip breakfast

Skip dinner! I’m enjoying going out for evening rides now, so long as I don’t go *too* hard. I can have an enjoyably substantial lunch (usually healthy-ish e.g. three bean chilli and wholemeal pitta) then after ride in the evevning maybe an avocado or salad or something.

I’ve not done the research but had always felt like eating big meals, late, wasn’t really a great idea so I prefer to load up during breakfast and lunch.

sillysilly
    Free Member

20KG already is amazing, obv doing something right.

Forget the magic, assuming your diet is good:

* Sleep 8 hours & drink min 2L water daily.
    * Zone 2 training 2-3 a week, scaling up time / distance to where you want to get to.
    * Some kind conservative movement / prehab stretch routine. Easy to get injured with Yoga and deep stretching if you have past injuries and are pushing age.

Once you can manage that:
    * Add strength training focussing or core / back / glutes.
    * Swap out on of the Zone 2 sessions for interval or hiit training.

Enjoy the speed

intheborders
    Free Member

I will settle for 3 out of 4 of those and have about 1 hour a day, more at weekends, to achieve it.

I can’t believe that you’re fully occupied for 23 hours a day.

I was disappointed to leann that the standard NHS allowance of 2500kCal a day was probably ‘generous’.

Someone on here posted a formula, using age/weight/height etc. For me at 190cm, 80kg & 57 y/o I needed 1710 calories to ‘maintain’ my weight, and then more to cover exercise, physical work etc. I reckon the NHS ought to drop to 1500-1750 calories and then let folk ‘add’ for height and work effort etc.

loum
    Free Member

If it’s a for week plan, biggest improvements will come from running and sorting your sleep.

13thfloormonk

Someone on here posted a formula, using age/weight/height etc. For me at 190cm, 80kg & 57 y/o I needed 1710 calories to ‘maintain’ my weight, and then more to cover exercise, physical work etc. I reckon the NHS ought to drop to 1500-1750 calories and then let folk ‘add’ for height and work effort etc.

Yep, I’m 185cm, (currently…) 87kg and 39y/o. A similar base metabolic rate calculation gave me 1800kCal before exercise.

AdamT

I don’t wish this to be a hijack but I wonder if it might help the OP. I’m curious about skipping as exercise just to do something a bit different and also skill based. Wait…. No….. Given WCA’s history I guess it could end badly for him?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Here is a time for tonight’s ‘test route’ ridden alone at an easy pace. Let’s see how it changes over the coming four weeks. It won’t get easier but it might get faster*

Distance
    42.69 km
    Elev Gain
    310 m
    Time
    2h 10m

*Perhaps I could get that printed on t-shirts and mugs etc?

marioo22
    Free Member

As others have said, it’s not too complicated. Diet is more important than exercise when it comes to just weight loss. As to increasing endurance, I think at the end of the day it’s just a matter of discipline. But if you see results from week to week, that’s motivation in itself.

Milese
    Free Member

Yoga has come up a few times – try ‘Yoga with Adriene’ on youtube. She does some 30 day intro courses, do it with the wife if you can.

If you want to be a better cyclist then ditch the swimming and spend the time cycling.

Just ride as much as you can. If you have an hour a day, ride in it. Some easier, flatter routes and some hillier, harder routes. More time on weekends, prehaps have saturday off as a rest day then perhaps start at 2 hours on a sunday, but increase it the following week.

You say your diet is good but my simple advice:
    1. cut out sugar or things with added sugar
    2. cut out sweetener
    3. cut out simple processed white carbs, brown rice, brown pasta, brown bread.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is general fitness rather than bike specific so will mix cycling and swimming as they are about the only two things I can do that don’t exacerbate the ankle pain. Diet is reasonable according to a medical nutritionist so portion control will have more of an effect I suspect. Plus I don’t want to inflict dietry restrictions or preparing two meals on MrsWCA who actually prepares the food.

Day 1 – 60x25m Breaststroke in 52 minutes

intheborders
    Free Member

Diet is reasonable according to a medical nutritionist so portion control will have more of an effect I suspect

Was this to diet that got you to 120kg, or the one that’s brought you down to 100kg?

TBH pretty sure you’re shorter than me (6’2″), but at 20kg heavier than me I’m not sure that your diet is “reasonable”.

yetidave
    Free Member

As to increasing endurance, I think at the end of the day it’s just a matter of discipline

I was told this is wrong. From what I was told, for longer rides you need to teach your body to process carbs etc when your riding. Short rides only use your stored energy and don’t allow you to process anything new, so if you only do short rides, you will run out of energy as your body wont be able to process anything new. A mixture is the way forward. I’m currently doing a 40-50min turbo once a week or about 20km, and a 60-80km ride on a sat morning at an easier pace than the turbo. Im not doing this to loose weight, but aiming for a few sportives in the year.

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

From that graph it looks like you’ve lost a quarter of your bodyweight in 6 months? That’s really impressive

I’d say keep doing what you’re doing and just tweak one or two things to keep your body adapting to new stresses.

As you lose more weight you’re bound to get a slower rate of return so don’t overthink it!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Was this to diet that got you to 120kg, or the one that’s brought you down to 100kg?

TBH pretty sure you’re shorter than me (6’2″), but at 20kg heavier than me I’m not sure that your diet is “reasonable”.

It is the diet that I have been using to go from 120kg down to 100kg in a controlled and sustainable way, so yes, I would consider it reasonable. I am looking to continue to lose weight around the same rate but increase exercise and flexibility at the same time now.

teaandbiscuit
    Free Member

I’m on an involuntary weight loss plan at the moment. Covid recovery means that anything with alcohol in it smells and tastes rancid.

3 weeks dry and my trousers are hanging off…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Effective isn’t it. 44″ originally and just had to buy some 34″ jeans

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Day 2 Riding at arelaxed pace
    Distance
    74.56 km
    Elev Gain
    890 m
    Time
    3h 59m

joshvegas
    Free Member

She doesn’t use written recipes, and I am not sure how I would calculate the portion size based on a spoonful of this and a pouring of that etc.

Just put less on your plate, when you are done see how you feel if you are starving have some more if you think “nah” don’t if later in the day you start falling asleep you no you need to up it.

Or stuff yourself with salad.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

joshvegas – exactly my method and it works well, helps that I actually like salad too.

Day 3 – Rest

Day 4
    Swim – 60x25m Breaststroke in 43 minutes – main improvement was remembering to focus on swimming and not let my mind wander to poetry and art and almost drift to a halt
    Riding with friend
    Distance

58.76 km
    Elev Gain
    522 m
    Time
    2h 55m

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.