Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 4" vs 5" Fatbikes
  • roverpig

I hesitate to ask this question as the answer just seems to depend on what bike people have. Those with bikes capable of running 5″ tyres will claim that it’s useful to have the option and those whose bikes can’t will claim that you never need more than 4″. Still, it’s a key question for anybody idly daydreaming about monster trucks.

Most fatbikes on the market now seem to split into those with 170mm rear hubs and 100mm (usually threaded) BBs that are limited to 4″ tyres. Sometimes you can go up to say, 4.6″, but usually only by messing about with the drivetrain (1x) and not if you are fussy about chainline. Then there are those with 190mm rear hubs and >120mm (seemingly always press-fit) BBs that can run the widest (>4.8″) tyres.

The pros and cons seem fairly clear. Four inch wheels are significantly lighter than 5″ ones. They allow for shorter chainstays (more nimble handling) and a narrower Q factor. Five inch tyres, on the other hand, offer maximum floatation on really soft terrain e.g. snow, sand, bog etc.

But how often do you meet those conditions in the UK i.e. how often do you come across terrain that you can’t ride on a 4″ tyre but can ride on a 5″ tyre?

scotroutes

Seldom. But you sometimes will. In my case, I’d say a handful of times each year – and I’d also warrant I’m in exactly the place where you’d notice it most.

As I’ve already said, 5″ seems to make more sense if you’ve already got something running 3-3.5″. Without that, I reckon 4″ is going to be just fine.

FWIW, despite having a B+ Pact I’m not planning a move to 5″.

Caveat; I weigh 12st ready to roll. Heavier riders will benefit from the added girth more than I do.

akira

Id say if you’re riding snow or sand then 5″ otherwise 4″ for normal riding, although a Bud on the front is fun everywhere.

rickmeister

I have both a 4″ 170 and 5″ 190, both on 100mm bb’s and teh same size and brand of bike but running different wheels, otherwise itentical as near as makes no difference.

I had the 4″ first on Holey Rolling Daryls and Floaters, Nates (they come up at 3.8 I think), for winter. Running Tubed
    Nice, nimble, quick on those floaters, less so on Nates. Never struggled anywhere eg beach, trail etc etc, only in snow when it wouldnt float as much as I hoped.

5″ bike on Chinese Carbon ICAN tubeless and Jumbo Jim, 4.8. Very light, nimble and floaty on snow. As quick or less than the 4″ bike. Also, a lot is in the tyre. I can believe the 5″ JJ would be skytey in mud, its just going to float through everything and not grip. Our trails here dont get muddy so I reckon it will be fine.
    The wheels havve made a massibe difference, the rim is wider and tubless saved a lot of weight and was very easy to get up and running.

Another downside, in rainy conditions, the 4″ bike threw up a lot of spray. The 5″ is a fair bit worse and I got properly soaked, not being a fan of mudguards….

5thElefant
    Free Member

Four inch wheels are significantly lighter than 5″ ones.

I’ve just changed from 4″ JJs to 4.8. The 4.0s weighed in at 1098g and the the 4.8s 1191g. My front wheels weighs 1784g and a stock tube is 437g(!).

So for JJs the weight isn’t significant.

nedrapier

what rims, 5th?

I’ve got Bud and bulldozer on 65mm rims. I’m wondering about JJs, whether I should go small or big.

STATO
    Free Member

Having had a 4″ bike and now a 5″ bike, id not go back to 4″ unless my trails/singletrack was so narrow that a 5″ tyre would constantly catch the edge of ruts. ( I had this on a recent ride somewhere new to me).

Drag is not due to width but tyre choice, the Q-factor for 190 isn’t hurting my knees (was worried about this before I got it), chainstay length is no different to previous bike, weight difference is minimal.

dovebiker

Really depends on where / what you’re planning on riding – you can always run skinnier tyres on a 5″ bike, but you can’t fit wider tyres to a 4″ bike. Just come back from the arctic where those of us on 5″ tyres could ride where 4″ tyres couldn’t. The whole chainstay length thing is a bit spurious in the real world, not bike journo land where like 1% differences in wheelbase are really noticeable? Same goes for 100mm vs 120mm BBs. I would suggest that 170mm rear bikes will become more limited, particularly now with plus-size and boost and that fatbikes will settle on 197mm rear. You can run a single-ring chainset like a Turbine Cinch on a 100mm threaded BB with clearance for wider tyres. The only case for really wide rims like 100mm is if your riding on sand or snow – been getting along fine with Dilly 5s on 65mm rims for general riding, but if I go back to the arctic, I’d prefer 90mm+ to reduce tyre squirm at low pressures which can make the difference between staying-on and riding or falling-off

5thElefant
    Free Member

what rims, 5th?

Don’t know who makes them but they’re 80mm I believe (Felt dd30).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really depends on where / what you’re planning on riding – you can always run skinnier tyres on a 5″ bike, but you can’t fit wider tyres to a 4″ bike. Just come back from the arctic where those of us on 5″ tyres could ride where 4″ tyres couldn’t. The whole chainstay length thing is a bit spurious in the real world, not bike journo land where like 1% differences in wheelbase are really noticeable? Same goes for 100mm vs 120mm BBs. I would suggest that 170mm rear bikes will become more limited, particularly now with plus-size and boost and that fatbikes will settle on 197mm rear. You can run a single-ring chainset like a Turbine Cinch on a 100mm threaded BB with clearance for wider tyres. The only case for really wide rims like 100mm is if your riding on sand or snow – been getting along fine with Dilly 5s on 65mm rims for general riding, but if I go back to the arctic, I’d prefer 90mm+ to reduce tyre squirm at low pressures which can make the difference between staying-on and riding or falling-off

I think this sums it up.

If you ride in the Artic in winter, then get 100mm rims and 5″ tyres. If you’re not then…………

Will 170mm hubs dissapear? No idea, I doubt it. Likewise 100mm BB’s. It’s not like fat bikes are big market anyway, so I’m not entertaining any sort of market forces based argument. Saying 5″ and 3″ bikes make 4″ bikes obsolete is following the same logic that 2.4″ tyres will cease to exist because you can now get 2.2 and 2.8″ tyres.

And you can’t fit a 5″ tyre in a Bluto anyway. You can get a Bud in, with an inner tube, when new. But tubeless makes tyres expand a bit, as does time, so a 12month old Bud run tubeless is 50/50 whether it’l fit (and certainly had no mud room). So unless RS release a new Bluto, 4″ is here to stay.

scotroutes

Saying 5″ and 3″ bikes make 4″ bikes obsolete is following the same logic that 2.4″ tyres will cease to exist because you can now get 2.2 and 2.8″ tyres.

Just in case that was referring to my response, that wasn’t my assertion. I was suggesting that, for those who don’t want an infinite number of bikes, 3″ and 5″ are more complimentary. I believe the OP is only after one fat/plus bike so it might be relevant. I can’t see me moving up from 4″ any time soon.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just in case that was referring to my response, that wasn’t my assertion.

Wasn’t directly, but I’d heard the same argument made elsewhere.

Also, I’m not-not in favor of 5″ bikes, they open up other options. If you need 5″ tyres they’re a necessity, if you don’t need them they’re just 5″ tyres though.

And a 4″ tyre on a bike designed arorund 5″ tyres, is an inch lower too, but then most bikes designed for snow/sand will have taller BB’s for ground clearance too as that’s what their geometry is designed around, rather than handling. Horses for courses.

MadBillMcMad

I’m demoing a 5″ bike at the w/e, certainly interesting to see how it goes, compared to my 4@ Fatty. It has a nice draggy Lou on the rear – planning on a good bit of Anglezarke bog to test the float.

As for 100/120 BBs there a are quite a few 5″ bikes coming out with 100mm BBs, just using some sort of adaptor thingy. Mondraker Panzer/ Canyon Dude to name 2.

h4muf
    Free Member

What’s the biggest tyre I can fit to my standard Fatty rims with carbon fork?

STATO
    Free Member

As for 100/120 BBs there a are quite a few 5″ bikes coming out with 100mm BBs, just using some sort of adaptor thingy. Mondraker Panzer/ Canyon Dude to name 2.

I think its safe to say its not bb width be axle length that’s actually the factor. As above, most bikes just use a 100mm shell and spacers on the axle. Raceface list cranks based on frame dropout width, 170 vs 190.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s the biggest tyre I can fit to my standard Fatty rims with carbon fork?

Apparently a Bud fits, not tried it personally though.

Rule of thumb on rim width is tyres equal tot he rim width and upto double, so the 80mm rims are fine for just about anything from 3.8’s to a hypothetical 6″ tyre. Narrow rims are better for handling (at 10psi), wider rims are better for float (at 3psi).

MadBillMcMad

@h4muf
    I have a Surly Bud on mine – https://goo.gl/photos/SN1sn49br4MkSdZ57

Northwind

I wouldn’t assume for normal riding that narrower is better- I’m loving the minion 4.8 front and the 4.8 JJ is a way more useful tyre than the 4.0. More grip but I can run it at much lower pressures too.

Obviously I’m a nouveau fattist. And possibly my idea of normal riding isn’t normal. But I can’t see what 4.0s I’d swap to. Nate, possibly, but I can’t see that working as well as the minion or bud.

rocketman
    Free Member

4.8 JJs f&r here

Can be made to work in more or less any conditions by varying the pressure but a digital gauge is essential

if you’re gonna go fat you may as well go all the way imo

roverpig

Thanks folks. That was a lot more useful than I was expecting, if I’m honest 🙂

I wonder if 5″ tyres are one of those things (like fatbikes themselves really) that seem pointless until you try them.

It’s interesting to hear that the Bluto can’t handle all 5″ tyres. There are a few bikes (e.g. 2016 Scott Big Ed) that claim to be 5″ bikes and come with a Bluto and I’m sure I read some debate over on MTBR about fitting a Bluto to a Surly ICT, with some people adamant that a Bud doesn’t fit and others (including Surly I think) claiming it does. Clearly it’s borderline if it does and maybe it does just come down to how new the tyre is, tyre pressures and whether it is tubeless.

Also interested to hear about the extra soaking from the wider tyre. I’ve never found a mudguard that I could get on with and even though we do get a bit of snow up here, wet is a lot more common!

@MadBillMcMad: I’m looking forward to hearing how you get on with the 5″ test.

if you’re gonna go fat you may as well go all the way imo

As scotroutes pointed out I am contemplating swapping a Chubby HT (2.8 NN) for a proper fatbike (although it’s only a thought experiment at the moment). Since I’d be losing that chubby bike maybe a 4″ would be the better option, but the statement above has popped into my head a few times.

rocketman
    Free Member

There are a few bikes (e.g. 2016 Scott Big Ed) that claim to be 5″ bikes and come with a Bluto

Big Ed does indeed have a Bluto and 4.8 JJs there was one in the shop when I was looking

Some 4.8s are bigger than others and although a 4.8 JJ fits a gnarlier 4.8 might not it was tight-ish iirc

molgrips
    Free Member

Also interested to hear about the extra soaking from the wider tyre.

I have never ridden a fat bike. I have however been on a ride with a mate who has one, and I found the gigantic puddle splashes endlessly amusing 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

I read some debate over on MTBR about fitting a Bluto to a Surly ICT, with some people adamant that a Bud doesn’t fit and others (including Surly I think) claiming it does. Clearly it’s borderline if it does and maybe it does just come down to how new the tyre is, tyre pressures and whether it is tubeless.

I have a Bud on a bluto (on an ICT), its tight in the centre but ok as the tyre sheds mud well so you don’t tend to accumulate a lot at the bridge. There is room at the sides so any build up does have space to get past. Bear in mind also the Bud grows a lot with pressure, put 10psi in and its very close which I think is where most people go wrong, you really don’t need more than 6psi in that monster.

Ive just ordered a Minion FBF for the front as its supposed to measure up a smidge smaller which should let me fit a mudguard. Bud will move to the rear.

Northwind

STATO – Member

Bear in mind also the Bud grows a lot with pressure, put 10psi in and its very close which I think is where most people go wrong, you really don’t need more than 6psi in that monster.

Aye, absolutely this- Bud stretches massively, mine jams in the frame if I pump it up harder. Though is 10psi so outrageous? I had 5 or 6psi in mine, I forget, but I only weigh 10 stone. Someone with less elf blood than me would want more…

Minion is a nice compromise, just a shame they weren’t honest that it’s a 4.5 really, but twas ever thus with maxxis. It seems less stretchy too but, maybe that’s just because it’s new

40mpg

I started off with a 4″ limited fatbike. Probably 50% of my rides involve beaches at some point. I noticed a significant difference in the ease mates had across soft sand/gravel with 4.8″ tyres.

I sold the original fatbike and now run 4.8’s so can keep up much better. Cant say I notice a difference between 100 & 120 BB widths. Or 10mm longer chainstays.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thing is, the only fat bike I really want is a Bucksaw. But would I regret not being able to run 5″?

40mpg

Thing is, the only fat bike I really want is a Bucksaw. But would I regret not being able to run 5″?

I’d suggest regularly running a bucksaw on a beach or in snow would be a)detrimental to bearings etc and b)unnecessarily overbiked

So if you’re riding bucksaw type terrain, 4″ would be fine

5thElefant
    Free Member

I took my bike for a spin today.

The last two rides up my nearest hill* with 4.0 JJs 12:11 and 12:14

Today with fatty stripper tubeless 4.8 JJs (exactly a pound lighter than the 4.0s with tubes) 10:36… which is 12s of my best on a skinny bike when I was fitter.

The descent was even weirder. Felt like I was plodding. My skinny bike feels really fast and really sketchy. Second best time do date (of 28 runs). I was just 2s off by best time.

I’m amazed.

Shame the rear tyre shat itself at the end of the ride. I was running 6psi and it felt like I could go down to 5.

* 0.8 miles, 370′ of mixed rough and smooth cart track from flat to very steep

scotroutes

molgrips – Member
    I have never ridden a fat bike. I have however been on a ride with a mate who has one, and I found the gigantic puddle splashes endlessly amusing

Less a splash, more a bow-wave. The braking effect when hitting deep puddles and streams is quite disconcerting at first.

Northwind

The day I get tired of exploding puddles with the front wheel may be the day I stop riding bikes. SPLOOOOSH!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So if you’re riding bucksaw type terrain, 4″ would be fine

I think that’s the crux of it.

4″ gives all the grip you could ever need 90% of the time, but maybe lacks the absolute float of the biggest tyres. If you need a bigger tyre then the terrain probably doesn’t need suspension* (because the ground is soft and smooth requiring the float). Which is why I suspect the Bluto doesn’t really fit a Bud with anything like you’d normally consider clearance.

4″ tyres don’t lack float, they still monstertruck through softer bits and less maintained woodland trails. So don’t get the impression that a 4.5 or 4.8″ tyre magically improves over a 4″ tyre, it’s an increment.

*Using bluto/bucksaw/suspension synonymously.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d suggest regularly running a bucksaw on a beach or in snow

Given I live in Cardiff regular snow is not much of a factor, and I’ve no great desire to ride over a beach. But anyway – is sand going to get into the bearings? The local soil is full of sand and even finer particles and it gets splashed all over my FS bikes every ride, and the bearings seem to hold up fine.

unnecessarily overbiked

Having a wide enough selection of bikes to have the perfectly adapted bike for every single situation is sadly beyond my means!

I just worry that if we DID have loads of snow, or I happened upon the opportunity to ride in Scandinavia (more likely tbh) then I’d regret being on 4″. But given that last winter in Sweden I almost rode ok on 2.4″ then 4″ would probably be ok up there.

STATO
    Free Member

But anyway – is sand going to get into the bearings? The local soil is full of sand and even finer particles and it gets splashed all over my FS bikes every ride, and the bearings seem to hold up fine.

Beaches tend to be near a lot of salt water which is the actual problem 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

For the bearings or the rest of the frame?

Water of any kind in bearings is bad. Plus, I’d assume I’d be avoiding salty water as a general principle..?

40mpg

Molgrips, you get a lot of salt spray on the beach. It gets in everything, rots disk brake backings, seizes cables etc. I pack all my bearings (BB and hubs) with waterproof grease but rear hub and BB still seize regularly. I wouldnt fancy running suspension bushings/bearings in those conditions a lot.

Riding on beaches is great from time to time though, you can get places you never knew existed but are right on your doorstep. Although dull if thats all you’ve got. I’m lucky* to have a lot of different beaches, sandy sloppy muddy forest and claggy downs close to home.

*er, I guess

Edit – or what Stato said

bedmaker

I’m a Bud/Bud user. I prefer the big tyres for the extra cush when riding rough terrain, they allow more speed to be carried. The float is a side benefit for the occasional time my bike sees very soft terrain, but even on soft winter mud/cut up grassy surfaces they roll so much easier.

I know four people running Bud tubeless on 80m rims in a Bluto with no issues.

molgrips
    Free Member

I pack all my bearings (BB and hubs) with waterproof grease but rear hub and BB still seize regularly. I wouldnt fancy running suspension bushings/bearings in those conditions a lot.

Yeah ok – but my point is that a FS fatbike isn’t going to rule out the odd beach ride, is it?

EDIT had a quick check, from what I can tell the bearings on their FS bikes are sealed cartridge jobs, but the shock bushes are of course just shock bushes.

Sanny
    Free Member

Soooooo – I have an ICT with Bud and Lou. Currently testing a Bluto and the Bud fits, even with a fender! It’s right tight but it works even in think mud.

For chunk and gnarr, the extra width and weight give the truck a brilliantly planted feel. I rode the boulder field on MacDui on it. It really is that good.

I also have a Fat Caad 1 and it is a different beast. Very quick and responsive. The Jumbo Jims lack the grip of the Surly tyres and pinch flat easily. Early days but I really like it……A LOT! 😀

Don’t get hung up on geometry. Just test ride and see which one you like best.

bedmaker

I rode the boulder field on MacDui on it. It really is that good.

Funny you should say that, I rode Macdui first years ago and riding the boulder field was out of the question.
    I was back there last summer. Rolling off the top of Macdui on my Shand, I kept hitting steps and lumps and expected to get a wee bit down before pushing the bike through. I just kept rolling through it though, then down the huuuge snow banks to Loch Etchacahn and onwards, all the way to Braemar 🙂 Happy, happy memories.
    I’ll be back this summer to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I’m running 4.8s on my first ever fatbike. I’ve never ridding anything smaller and I can’t really think why I would? I’m really not sure what I’d gain. If I wanted all out speed, I wouldn’t be on that bike anyway. My biggest issue to date is the downright terrifying floatiness when hitting a patch of mud. I’m sure that float is great on sand or snow at 2mph but at speed it’s just scary as hell! I doubt a 4″ tyre would be much different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘4" vs 5" Fatbikes’ is closed to new replies.