Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 4 new pillows ~£60?
  • mattyfez

Hi all
    Bought some cheap wilcos pillows about a year ago and they have lost thier shape and are a bit rubbish.

I have a £50 John Lewis voucher so was looking at feather (not down, bit pricey) or synthetic – as someone who knows sod all about pillows, what should I get?
    Need 4 so could potentially get 2 cheaper ones for underneath, and some slightly better ones for on top?

fingerbang
    Free Member

My personal set up is one good quality down one, from John Lewis actually, for face and head interface and them 2 cheapo synthetic ones underneath for ballast.

But I’m sure theres some STW handmade using purpose bred Pyrenean duck feathers suggestions on the way

ajantom

Feather or down always make me sneeze.

My current fav pillow is a £20 synthetic job from Ikea.
    Very comfy 🛌

mattyfez

Can’t remember what I paid for the ones I want rid of, but they were the cheapest ones at the time, about £6 or £10 each I think.

mattyfez

or the current ones are so flat and limp, I could possibly bung 2 in each pillow case and then but some nicer top ones?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Synthetic FTW.
    the properties that make down excellent for sleeping bags make them rubbish for pillows.

bigginge

I’ve had one of these for about the last six or seven years now. Cant say that it’s noticeably changed shape or texture (if that’s the right word) since I first bought it. Might be a bit of a marmite thing though as MsGinge tried it and didn’t get on with it (and now has a £60 John Lewis latex job that she doesn’t like either but won’t replace because it cost so much money).

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Owl down ftw. It’s got to be the correct breed of owl though. None of the rubbishy ones…

allanoleary
    Free Member

Unicorn skin stuffed with dodo down. Nothing else compares

PiknMix
    Free Member

A Dunelm temperature reactive memory foam pillow has changed my life, I replaced 4 not exactly cheap feather pillows with 2 of these (£32 each if I remember correctly) and it was money very well spent.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Stuffed with wool, from john lewis. Keeps its shape, but you can remove wool if too hard…
    You spend a third of your life with your head on a pillow: why wouldn’t you get the best you can?

jeffl

I sleep on my side. Found a contoured pillow from IKEA excellent. It basically supports your neck so allows you to sleep with a straight spine.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rosenskaerm-ergonomic-pillow-side-back-sleeper-30444369/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-tWv_7Li7QIVWO3tCh22UwK5EAQYAiABEgKolfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Rich_s

Owl down ftw. It’s got to be the correct breed of owl though.

Teet? Or are they too common?

grahamt1980

Dunelm synthetic ones here.
    Got a firm and a soft version so I can choose which one I want at night

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Teet? Or are they too common?

A teet is my go-to owl, tbf.
    #predictable

i_like_food

I got some pucker expensive ones from John Lewis with housewarming vouchers family gave me (I never would have stumped up so much for them without the vouchers). It’s not exaggerating to say they changed my life!

I’ll never skimp on pillows again (or a mattress or bed linen).

As far as I’m concerned the feeling after a good night’s sleep has to be one of the best, plus the extra amount if stuff I can do when I’ve slept well compared to when I’ve slept badly means I can justifiably see anything like that as ‘an investment in my personal productivity’ 🤣

Spend the money. Sleep well.

petrieboy

IKEA memory foam things with gel topper for some weird reason. Very comfortable on their own. We have one each then a couple of cheap ones that are actual pillow shaped which make the bed look nice but spend the evening on the floor. Looking-at pillows if you will.

TiRed

You spend at least a quarter of your life resting your head on something. And how much do you think you should spend?

Tempur normal shaped pillow with a down addition for me. Don’t skimp.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Memory foam or similar for a thin under pillow and then the best feather down on top assuming you are not allergic.

If you want to add to be heaven get a mattress topper. We use this place and the quality and service are excellent. Get a descent and reasonably firm mattress and a new topper very couple of years and it is bed bliss : https://www.soakandsleep.com/

mattyfez

SO ive gone with 2 of these:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-synthetic-collection-breathable-microfibre-standard-pillow-medium-firm/p635107#product

Hope they are good, they can’t be any worse than my surrent ones lol

finbar
    Free Member

Stuffed with wool, from john lewis. Keeps its shape, but you can remove wool if too hard…

Snap (albeit Baavet). I find down ones distinctly limp and unsatisfying.

I don’t want my face pressed against a synthetic pillow for eight hours a night for the same reason I don’t wear polyester shirts or socks.

hugo
    Free Member

A lot depends on the stack height you need!

I find 1.5 pillows the annoying optimum amount so go for 1 decent synthetic and one rubbish one for the half. Also had success with a folded towel instead of the cheap one.

I also use an Ikea pillow cover on the top one to avoid mankiness.

Gunz
    Free Member

Contoured pillow for the head, cheaper pillow between the legs (I sleep on my side) for straight spine nirvana.

mattyfez

Who’d have thought… Stack height and head angle can also apply to pillows!

austy
    Free Member

I had two very old limp pillows and replaced with a single memory foam pillow from dunelm Mill, what a revelation that was. Lovely and firm.
    gutted when I left on holidy a few years back.
    Replaced it and it still has its shape years later unlike the mass of cheap pillows the wife buys.

They are so good the wife got one and the 10 year old daughter wants one.

Cougar

I was bullied into buying two Tempur pillows at £100 when I bought a new bed recently.

It might be because I almost passed out from the cost, but I’ve had the best nights’ sleep I’ve had in years. People* throw around phrases like “game changer” because they’ve discovered Jaffa Cake gin, but it’s hard to overstate just how much better they are than ‘normal’ ones. You spend a third of your life in bed, never again am I buying TX Maxx specials.

(* – well, me at least)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘4 new pillows ~£60?’ is closed to new replies.