Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 4 inch fuss suss wanted – because 4 is the new 6 :)
  • Alex

Everyone knows that apparently. Anyway very happy with my HT, and my big fat FS but I’m starting to think about (another, I’ve had a few!) short travel FS. The old back isn’t what it was and after doing Whytes, Penhyd and then two laps of Cwmcarn last Sunday, I’m thinking about a light, fast FS.

Don’t want a race bike, not really sure what’s out there now.

Orange ST4
    Giant Anthem X

Er, what else is worth trying?

njee20
    Free Member

Frankly the race bikes of old with really steep angles and twitchy handling are more or less gone, I’d add the Epic and the Trek Top Fuel to your list.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m selling my 4″ travel Maverick ML7.2 in the classifieds…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-maverick-ml72-frame-duc-forks-various-other-bits-and-pieces

You don’t have to use a DUC fork on it either, they’re probably better balanced with a 4-5″ fork on than with the DUC to tell the truth… It’s in excellent condition, and the Maverick frame design is such that you have all the sprinting capabilites you do on a hardtail, but with 4″ of plushness added in for going over the bumps!

darrell
    Free Member

santa cruz blur

clubber
    Free Member

If you can, try a rocky mountain element. Simple suspension but somehow it’s the best riding (all round ride, not just the suspension action) full susser i’ve been on (and i’ve been on lots…). I still can’t work out why.

mikey74
    Free Member

Blur 4x?

steve_b77
    Free Member

to be honest I don;t see the point of the ST4, it’s hardly lighter than a 5, and doesn’t ride any better IMHO

druidh
    Free Member

Blur
    Commencal Super 4

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the anthem is very steep, but also blindlingly fast!

hora
    Free Member

Blur 4x?

Why?

Alex

Hmm some interesting choices there. I shall go investigate. I want a built up bike, and will probably wait until there are some end of season bargains.

Apparently the new Carbon Blur’s are very nice indeed. But at £2300 FOR THE FRAME, they’d have to be!

Not interested in a Maverick thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

Carbon Super 4 will be out later this year too. Prices should be available next month.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Alex – what about a SC Superlight? Nice 4″ at the back, lightish and more than capable of slugging it out with the longer travel all day bikes. Not too twitchy at the front either.

Just might have a young medium frame going begging if you’re at all interested…

Andy

SC Superlight

Titus Racer X (frames on offer at Fat Treads)

Andy

😆 GTTH beat me to it! I have a Superlight by the way and love it!

z1ppy

Being as I’ve just replaced my 4inch fullsusser with a 5.5inch, I’d beg to differ about the stated OP! But I really enjoyed riding a m8’s superlight for a couple of weeks, and wondered if a c’dale rush might have been a better choice for me. Blur’s seem to eat too many bearing and I’ve decided I prefer the single pivot suspension feel after trying the superlight & buying a prophet (do you know they made a 120mm SL version of the prophet). I still have my marin mount vision (06) and would even throughly recommend one of those if you like the 4 bar suspension feel, they’re very light and capable (if you can live with the saddles & beard comments), mine is muchlighter than the Superlight I borrowed, with the same level of kit (the Superlight moniker is very misleading IMO, though that doesn’t stop it being a great frame). WhatMtb have just made the giant anthem x their bike of the year and going by the review and ppl’s comments on here it should definitely be considered (I’m not sure the new [shock moved] anthem is the all out racer the first gen was). So much choice… I love mtb-ing!

Alex

Had one of the early (2001) superlight. Nice bike. Quite like single pivot, simple, works, not much to go wrong. Don’t like the (older) Marins, too hight, too supple somehow.

With my aging reactions, steep head angle might not be ideal 😉

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Mine’s never felt too steep – responsive, certainly but never wanted to chop me over the front! I bought it for the same reasons you like your old one – simple, works very well – more than proven by now! – and minimal maintenance required.

walleater

Mikey74 has already mentioned the Blur 4X, and I agree that a 4X bike is a surprisingly good all-round bike. The frames are stiff / strong enough to give a good beating, but the limited travel makes the bike easy to throw around and launch off stuff, like a hardtail. This is my only ride for ’09 and it gets ridden on the sickest trails on the planet, maybe even the universe (though the trails on Pluto are f*cking rad):

njee20
    Free Member

the sickest trails on the planet, maybe even the universe (though the trails on Pluto are f*cking rad

Oh dear.

walleater

Heh heh…..

Although in all seriousness it got down Boundary fine last night which is beyond double black and that’s North Shore double black, not Llandingdong.

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/maps/MapOfFromme.pdf

AB
    Free Member

Bought my 2008 Trance 1 for the same reasons as the OP. 4″ travel in the rear, with a 100-130mm uturn Revelation up front. ’tis the perfect trail centre bike IMO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I soooooooooooooooooooo want one of those brodies!

alwyn
    Free Member

Turner Flux DW

ummmmmm.

onewheelgood

I’ve got an Anthem X1 – lovely bike. My mate bought a Yeti ASR about the same time – an extremely lovely bike. The Marin guys at Mayhem said the Alchemist will finally arrive in the next 4-6 weeks too. So much choice.

Digimap
    Free Member

Light + fast without being a race bike. Something with a bit of quirk perhaps. How about one of these… 😉

LordJingles
    Free Member

Alex.. didnt you have one of those Voodoo FS bikes? Roger no?

I’m still running the S-Works FSR Carbon as my FS bike (although 5″ travel with brainy thing) as I am selling the Intense 6.6. Am running with Reba 120 Maxle, Elixirs, Crossmax Sx’s and it weighs in at about 27lbs.

How light do you want it?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I knew that if I kept my 2007 Giant Trance long enough it’d become ‘in’ again. 😉

dropoff

walleater, you’ve just got to let us know what that frame is. i suppose it was obvious that the perfect UK bike would come from Canada

Digimap
    Free Member

If I remember right Alex’s voodoo was very similar only in “manly purple”.

LordJingles
    Free Member

Ah yes, thats right Manly Purple!

Not girly Pink… No, No, No.. !

🙂

Swalsey
    Free Member

I think the current 5″ bikes are probably up your street – Trance, Stumpjumpers etc. My 4″ Stumpy has the same geometry as the current 5″ model and the 5″ is much lighter…

Alex

Manly Purple. No discussion 🙂 I did like it but it was a bit short in the TT.

My HT (Hummer) is about 26lbs, Pace is about 32 with the big fat tyres and DH tubes and I don’t want to remove any of that as it’s set up for the peaks and such like. So something 27ish would be nice, but it’s not just the weight, it’s a kind of HT ride with a bit of plush!

And the moon on a stick, obviously.

Can’t afford a Turner 🙁

Spesh’s don’t fit, shame as I liked the epic I tried. Rode a trance, didn’t do much for me, dunno why. New Trek’s look nice (I’ve said it now) but maybe a bit pricey.

Might look 2nd hand as well.

thefettler
    Free Member

I’ve just got a pivot mach 5

very nice!!

chorscroft
    Free Member

Scott Spark?

pjbarton
    Free Member

Cannondale Rush. Much underated. Bomb proof.
    Loves being pushed. Just wished mine was lighter. Mines probably 28.

dicky
    Free Member

Trek Fuel EX. Five inches rather than four but feel very responsive to ride. The EX9 is about 27lbs. Stiff frame, loads of tyre clearance, lots of fun to ride. Can’t fault it really.

walleater

dropoff – Member

walleater, you’ve just got to let us know what that frame is. i suppose it was obvious that the perfect UK bike would come from Canada

Who you are defines what the perfect bike is, not where you are. If I was back in the UK and was looking for a do-it-all bike then I’d chose something similar. It’s great on technical climbs due to being low and short (it’s easy to throw up and over rocks and roots), and is a blast on the downs for the same reasons plus is really stiff. I can’t think of anywhere in the UK that it’d be useless…well maybe Thetford but who the **** wants to ride there? 😉

dropoff

Walleater, Yeah I agree, but what is it ? I can’t find it on the Brodie site, and the only other thing thats close is the transition double (too much money)

walleater

Ah, I thought you were taking the piss! It’s a Brodie Dissident. I’ve just had a look on the site but I can’t see anything similar (mine’s a 2007 model).

http://brodiebikes.com/2007/2007_bikes/dissident.php

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘4 inch fuss suss wanted – because 4 is the new 6 :)’ is closed to new replies.