Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 4 days in Wales…. must do to do list….
  • alpin
    Free Member

i’ve a meeting next week near Preston and have a few days to kill before then.

thinking of chucking the bike in the van tomorrow and making my way across country.

i know the weather doesn’t look too hot, but i’ve got waterproofs and guess it is all part and parcel of riding in Wales. 😉

wouldn’t mind riding up Snowdon. would like to ride one or two trail centres for ease of navigation (only ridden Llandegla, which was ok, but a little meh…. guessing there is better).

so what do you recommend i should do? used to big alpine riding and not afraid of a climb.

cheers!

therag
    Free Member

I rode the mbr trail at c.y.b on the weekend but headed back to to the top to add in the dragons back descent too, made a really good loop. Also did the Marin, a lot of forest road but a good mid section and an amazing finish.

martinhutch

Snowdon is still covered by the voluntary ban until the weekend.

Cadair Idris, weather permitting? That’s in the same neck of the woods as CYB, which is worth visiting if you’ve not been before. Beast is only 18 miles or so if you cut off the pointless fire road loop at the top of Dragon’s Back.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m going up snowdon with a couple of mates on friday morning (early before the cut off).

molgrips
    Free Member

Come down South and I’ll take you out for a ride.

But if that’s too far then I’d recommend a trail center such as CyB (and the others) given lack of prep and time. Just turn up and follow the markers, you’ll have a blast.

There’s also the bike park place.. Antur Stiniog.. any others? Not sure what they are like.

Also maybe download a gpx of the famous Pont Scethin loop. Typically 18 miles but you’re a fit lad so try this longer one

http://www.ibikeride.com/gps-routes/viewtrack/44-the-mawddach-estuary-and-pont-scethin-mtb-gpx-route

Not ridden it but know the area a bit and it’s stunning – really want to do it myself.

Also this, another Welsh classic – Doethie Valley

Doethie Valley, Wales route

jambalaya
    Free Member

Given you are in Preston would say Snowden and CyB. Bike ban means no riding 9-5 but you can walk/push up and ride down at Levi’s (501 🙂 ).

Lakes and Yorkshire Dales are close too – longer drive up if you are coming from South. Lakes worth it.

senorj

Road trip…
    I would travel to Afan first , then head north towards Nant yr Arian and probably to Aberystwyth for chips.
    A bit of Machynlleth maybe …then onto Coed y Brenin and all the many options near there…
    Finish off with a spin around Llandegla…

Or drive 5 hours to Cumbria.

Hope you have good weather.

Mackem

A leg of lamb.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If it has to be Wales, I’d say Snowdon & whichever trail centres you fancy (Antur Stiniog, Revolution, etc).

But if “from Preston” is the main criteria, I’d say go to Lakes instead.
    I live near Preston and my Lakes:Wales riding destination split is probably 95:5
    Much less weather dependent and so much more to go at.

nickc

Snowdon is only worth as a “I’ve done Snowdon” tick box TBH the riding/pushing is a bit mleh, and the thousands of walkers make it a PITA.

Marin, CYB, Penmachno (if you’re a bit masochistic) are much more better

alpin
    Free Member

Thanks people….
    Yes, it’s kinda got to be Wales. I’m coming over from Essex and I was up in Northumberland last week, albeit without without the bike. Can’t be doing with the A1 again!

Will set off this afternoon.

molgrips
    Free Member

You won’t regret those two natural loops I posted.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you enduro bro?

If so check out Eastridge Woods, it has a trail centre loop but the main draw is some excellent downhill runs which are just superb for enduro bikes. It’s a stone’s throw from Wales and could be en route from Essex, perfect for a half-dayer to break up the drive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Post a photo or two 🙂

Might be a bit late now but you could stop off at Long Myndd ?

Stevet1
    Free Member

If you are near Preston with your bike and fancy taking a look at a few jumps I’ve built around lunchtime then drop me an email (preferably a few days before so I can get organised).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Depends what kind of bike you have and how much gnar you want! But personally, I’d go straight to the Black Mountains cycle centre.

alpin
    Free Member

I love this place!

Thanks moly…. That Doethie route sounds right up my street…

What do I use for viewing the path (the gpx? file) on a map?

I have maps.me and have already downloaded Wales. No elevation lines, but detail is good.

Photos will follow!

molgrips
    Free Member

Using your phone? Not sure. On a computer you can go to wheresthepath.googlepages.com or bikehike.co.uk and upload the gpx to view it.

Following it on a phone could be tricky without real OS maps. You could just buy the paper ones for simplicity’s sake.

IdleJon

Won’t Doethie be horribly wet? It was horribly wet when I last rode it, after three weeks of sunshine!

Must-do things in Wales –

Eat Welshcakes.
    Eat laverbread.
    Eat corned beef pasties.
    Eat Joes ice-cream.
    Visit castles. Lots of.
    Embrace the all encompassing rain.

There’s good riding everywhere. (Except Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire.)

jambalaya
    Free Member

ViewRanger is ok for phone gpx viewing.

If you email me any gpx I can put them on a os map send send you back a jpg file

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The Slaters Arms in Corris.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘4 days in Wales…. must do to do list….’ is closed to new replies.