Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 4 days in Belgium
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have some time free in Belgium after visiting leffeboy in Brussels and wondering how to spend it. WW site visits look most interesing, seen a bit already, 2nd appeals more (Bastogne museum shut when I went 4 years ago). Might take a Brompton, get a train to that area and tour a bit, ending back in Charleroi for flight home.

Seem reasonable? Will I get bored? Not sure how much there is to see and places to stay/eat in the small towns Id pass through.

Caher

Waterloo – it’s near Braine not Waterloo.

JulianA
    Free Member

The museums at the Cinquantenaire look very interesting.

The tram museum is on my list of places to go (but not WW related, obviously!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any more?

leffeboy

Ah, if only the underpants museum hadn’t closed 🙁
    How about http://www.museeherge.com
    Or Brompton up the Paterberg?
    A wee hunt for some Westvleteren?

Think there are three new sorts of Leffe since you last passed through

bruneep

looking for midgets?

Marge
    Free Member

when’s the trip?
    We are getting mighty close to the start of the cyclo-cross season :))
    The war museum at cinquantenaire is indeed not bad (& it’s free)

if you are heading east you could sample a decent beer…
    Lachouffe brewery visit

ironnigel
    Free Member

Beer and chocolate.

ourmaninthenorth

Ah, those were the days…. A single trip in November 2008 still stands out as one of the best long weekends I’ve ever spent away with friends.

We stayed in Gent. Can’t remember where – cheapo hotel.
    We rode our bikes lots. Panniers up the Koppenberg and all that.
    I met Freddy Maertens
    Watched Superprestige cyclocross with 13000 drunk fans in the snow.
    Got smashed every night at the Six Days, leaping up and down in the track centre to filthy Dutch pop music
    Rode back to Zeebrugge and the group got split up. Realised my friend had my passport in her bag and we nearly missed the ferry.

Loved it.

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3250/3061866682_782fa9025c_b.jpg[/img]

ourmaninthenorth

Helpful post:

Gent, Antwerp and Brugge all worth a visit. Driving between them is easy – Belgium’s small. Brussel’s less attractive TBH.

Head to the Centrum RVV (Tour of Flanders Museum) in Oudenaarde

Eat Waterzooi

JulianA
    Free Member

The motor racing museum at Stavelot is worth your while if you are anywhere near…

el_boufador

Some surprisingly good mtbing around the Spa area. Did some good xc and also look up Malmedy Apollinaire dh, spent a full morning on the dh trails there, they were really rather ace. One of those places I know I’ll never return to (because:no reason) but I am really quite sad about that.

JulianA
    Free Member

el_boufador – Member
    Some surprisingly good mtbing around the Spa area. Did some good xc and also look up Malmedy Apollinaire dh, spent a full morning on the dh trails there, they were really rather ace. One of those places I know I’ll never return to (because:no reason) but I am really quite sad about that.

Plenty of reasons to go to Spa! Some nice hotels, good walking in the woods above the town, Monschau is not far, the Falls of Coo are lovely (and Plopsa Coo is right next door), Stavelot Abbey is a great place to visit, some excellent restaurants, Aachen is not far.

We love Spa – have stayed three times so far and trying to figure out when next we can get there!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘4 days in Belgium’ is closed to new replies.