Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 4 crashes in 2 rides
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Solo – I can only do headstands at the moment… my knee don’t bend.

Solo
    Free Member

my knee don’t bend

Eh ?.

Don’t tell me you’re injured too ??.

*hesitates*

What have you been upto ?.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve been crashing 🙂

I have a differnet attitude though, as soon as I can ride I’m going to go and do the very thing I crashed doing. I don’t know why… maybe because I want to beat the thing that’s beaten me! Maybe I’m just a little stupid.

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve been crashing

I have a differnet attitude though, as soon as I can ride I’m going to go and do the very thing I crashed doing. I don’t know why… maybe because I want to beat the thing that’s beaten me! Maybe I’m just a little stupid.

Right, so this year, the latest fashion, is to crash.

Strangely, I know exactly what you mean about going back to beat that which initially beat you.
    I have the same attitude.
    Perhaps we’re stupid together then.

I hope you’re injuries aren’t too serious and I wish you a speedy return to two wheels.
    😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’ve ridden everything i’v crashed on apart from one particular hill, but that was the hill that i was on a spinal board for 4-5hours on so i’m in no rush to look down it again!

at least none of us are this guy!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know you have Phil… use the day to confirm what you did wrong… berate your stupidity, because it’s not incompetence if you know what you did… go and attack it like an angry badger!

emsz
    Free Member

EDIT: Speaking of rubbish, I’ve just spent 35 minutes trying to work out how to change the pedals on Susan the Commencal

SUSAN!!!!

you call your bike susan! really? Do you introduce ‘her’ to people?

I ride very slowly and I still fall off. 😳

Solo
    Free Member

i’ve ridden everything i’v crashed on apart from one particular hill, but that was the hill that i was on a spinal board for 4-5hours on so i’m in no rush to look down it again!

😯

Eerrr. No. We’ll let you off that one.
    Don’t go killin yourself dude.

go and attack it like an angry badger!
    The mind boggles.
    🙂

Solo
    Free Member

I ride very slowly and I still fall off.

If you have to fall off. then going slow at the time is probably a good strategy.
    😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

last nights surprise drop will be ridden again but on the FS (after i’ve slammed that stem yeti, dont worry) in daylight, after i’ve walked that section and firmly placed in my mind what i need to do to clear it cleanly 🙂

something i learnt when i used to own classic minis… never name something you rely on for transport a girls name, they’re bound to break down once a month for no reason! a mode of transport with a chaps name is much more reliable 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Or learn to roll..

jwt
    Free Member

I think it was either Jason McRoy or Rob Warner who said,
    “how do you know where your limits are if you never find them”
    It sounds like your quite analytical about your reasons for crashing, so you should be able to sort out the problems and compensate.
    As others have said, ride well within yourself for a while, until you feel happy about pushing harder again.
    Again as mentioned, it supposed to be fun
    😀

camo16
    Free Member

EDIT: Speaking of rubbish, I’ve just spent 35 minutes trying to work out how to change the pedals on Susan the Commencal

SUSAN!!!!

you call your bike susan! really? Do you introduce ‘her’ to people?

Ahem…

Well I might sometimes call her… Susan… 😳

She knows I’m punching way above my weight with her, so she demands regular shiny bits to keep her happy… 8)

cinnamon_girl

TSY – no better then? What’s the prognosis? What happened and was it road or mtb?

Love the girlie names for blokes bikes. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Little bit better thanks C_G. Inter-muscular haematoma… aka a really big bruise… mtfu etc. It was mtb and happened on some northshore.

How are you?

cinnamon_girl

I guess you just have to be positive – you rode brilliantly at the TP and what an achievement to complete it. Has your haematoma been changing colour daily? Any idea how long you’ll be out of action for?

I’m OK thanks. Scabs have just about all dropped off, apart from my face! Been quoted 3-4 months wait for surgery. 😯

Still intending to ride a bike again. 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

3-4 months??!! Blimey, what a nightmare. I was hoping to be riding by the weekend but going to work on Monday (not having my leg in the air) has definitely set me back!

The colour moves up and down my leg depending on how / what angle it’s being rested at. My aim now is to be back in the pool, gym (and at work) on Monday then riding next weekend.

The irony is that I picked my Dad up from the hospital on Saturday and gloated that it was normally the other way round and that I hadn’t seen the inside of A&E for at least 2 years 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phil commiserations and I hope that you get your mojo back soon. FWIW, I am relatively knew to mtb and am currently on a 100% crash track record, plus cut/grazed shins every ride.

I quickly find myself on ground that is beyond my technique and experience – hence probably time for some skills coaching. Then I could buy a nice bike.

But isn’t mtb meant to be painful?!?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

90% of my crashes are when I wimp out on something technical – hence the need for proper advice on technique so that I can build confidence to let it rip.

Tight bombholes, rooty lips and off-camber wet roots – trouble ahead!!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – where are you based? I know a man…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’d definitely recommend the skills coaching, i know exactly what i did wrong each time its gone wrong and as a relatively new rider myself i’m very glad i went to see jedi before i learnt loadsa bad techniques that would be hard to mentally step away from after years of riding!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Southern Yeti – Surrey Hills are where I do most of my riding. There are two well known companies there, I think but happy to take recommendations, thanks.

I recently watched a video of mtb techniques and then went for a ride on Leith Hill. There was a mini berm and I thought hard about foot position and pushing into the corner, only to miss the hidden root. CRASH and mega painful bruise/dead leg 🙁

I think spd’s are an issue because they add to the slight trepidation on steep stuff. I have a terrible habit of unclipping and then I am really in trouble. Plus the bloody spd eats my shins for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Go and see Jedi.

cinnamon_girl

TSY – blimey, I bet you’re like a bear with a sore head not being able to exercise! Do hope it’s not for much longer and you’ll be back getting your fix. 😉

Another vote for jedi. 8) Frankly, after all the money I’ve spent on bikes over the years would have been put to better use having regular coaching with jedi.

spd’s are not compulsory – I ditched them and am so much more relaxed on flats.

DezB
    Free Member

I used to crash a lot!

Er, but that was because I liked crashing.

Busted neck put paid to that, now I try to stay on.

Maybe you like it really eh Phil?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont like crashing 🙁 it hurts!

if you’re suggested i’m some kind of weird sex pervert then i’m offended.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noTjI3CloYk[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G – apparently I’m gonig a little crazy, not angry crazy but sort of delirious… little things are funny. Oh and the fact that it’s 25% off on 6 or more bottles of wine at Waitrose is helping. That’s 1.5 bottles free you know, a lot of little things seem really funny when you drink the free part 🙂

cinnamon_girl

TSY – did you have a head injury as well??!! Alcohol is an essential part of the recovery process but unfortunately due to my having been concussed and stupid, I was drinking beer whilst swallowing super-strong painkillers. What a bimbo. 😳

PS Anything decent at Waitrose?

jedi

i know exactly what i did wrong each time its gone wrong

phil, you answer your own question. crashes happen. confidence or lack of can be effected by our own actions and our equipment . when i tried new brakes i hated them (esp when due to not doing the caliper up it locked my front wheel in the air) i went back to my lovely v2’s and all is well again 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

OHHHH YEAH. a bad workman always blames his tools 😛

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘4 crashes in 2 rides’ is closed to new replies.