• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Sui.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 4 bike towball carrier
  • acidchunks

First world problem in that my new enduro barge is too long to fit on my old btwin rack so I’ve been looking around for a new one.

Seems to be a lot of options out there so Im hoping you folks could share some recommendations.

New bike is 123cm wheel base which rules out a lot of options, it’s carbon too so needs good quality clamps for the frame

I need to be able to carry 4 bikes ( 3 with the ability to add a 4th is fine too)

Whilst not out of my price range I’m reluctant to consider any of the Thule options.. ideally I’d like to spend no more than £500

Some options I’ve considered:

Buzz rack e-hornet

Only takes 3 bikes, it would do for now but once the youngest moves to a bike that can’t be slung in the boot I’d have to upgrade again.

Buzzrack eazzy 4

Really like the design of this but max wheelbase is 114cm, the rest of the buzzrack line range is much the same

Peruzzo pure instinct

Max wheel base is listed as 120cm, unclear if that’s with or without the optional rail extenders

Atera STRADA DL 3

Max wheelbase is just under what I need but I’d rather not take any chances.

Yakima JustClick 3

Max wheel base is wide enough, the additional rail for 4 bikes takes it over budget but I could buy that at a later date…

Atera STRADA EVO

Looks shit hot but again it’s over budget. Spacing between bikes not as wide as the Yakima. Getting close to Thule prices

Thanks in advance 😀

susepic

Loads of towbar rack threads on here…..

This one just 2 weeks ago…

Tow bar racks – bike gap question

mrchrispy

I’ve a strada 3+1 I’m going probably going to sell, if you dont mind 2nd hand and you are manchester based you are welcome to come and check it out and do a try before you buy type thing.

alaric

Why not Thule? I get that they aren’t cheap, but the quality is excellent. I just bought my second after nearly 10 years – the old one was still in perfectly servieable condition, just not long enough for modern bikes.

I now have the EasyFold XT3, my Kona with a wheelbase of 1258mm fits with no issue, to get my Nicolai on I needed the additional extra long straps to accommodate the 1363mm wheelbase.

Not really trying to convince you to change to Thule if you don’t want to, but at least that should give you some idea on the length that they will accommodate.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I need to be able to carry 4 bikes

What are the other three bikes? Unless they are kids bikes or old, or not MTB then don’t buy a strada 3 +1.
    ( or if you do, buy mine so I can get something not shit) 😛

Ours worked fine ( still a PITA, but got the job done) until we got rid of the Trek EX Junior and bought a Trance 29er medium.
    Now none of the 4 bikes fits in the first rail without the handlebar fouling the rear windscreen. ( VwT5)

The hubs foul each other too so you need to offset the bikes.
    Which is tricky given that even the small stumpy is nearly too long.

My bike now goes in the van and we just put three on the rack.

chevychase

Thule.

Thule thule thule.

Thule.

acidchunks

I’ve a strada 3+1 I’m going probably going to sell, if you dont mind 2nd hand and you are manchester based you are welcome to come and check it out and do a try before you buy type thing.

Took a look at this but the spec suggested the wheel supports wouldn’t accommodate the new bike. Thanks anyway though.

acidchunks

Why not Thule? I get that they aren’t cheap, but the quality is excellent.

I’ve looked at the velo compact but they’re too much cash for what you get. I’ve used a friend’s and the quality doesn’t match the price imo. Spacing wasn’t great with boost sized dropouts. XT model is definitely way beyond budget.

Thule.

Thule thule thule

You can Thule me once but you won’t Thule me thrice..

acidchunks

What are the other three bikes? Unless they are kids bikes or old, or not MTB then don’t buy a strada 3 +1.

Small HT and two kids bikes (currently frog 52 and 48)

Potential to be used for trips with a car full of mates though, especially given the price of fuel!

Fat-boy-fat

Can definitely recommend the Yakima. That is my latest rack and a definite step up from my previous Altera racks.

hatter

+1 for 2nd hand Thule Velospace XT, good spares support so you’re unlikely to get caught out buying 2nd hand.

Sui
    Free Member

What about the Pendle racks? A touch agricultural, but they’re very versatile so I’m told..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.