Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 4-7 day backpacking adventure ideas please..
  • Alex

.. Need inspiration for a trip next year. After the Welsh C2C in July me and a mate fancy doing something similar. The plan was part of the ‘Wild Atlantic Way’ but logistics for Ireland aren’t that easy.

So looking for 4-7 days

– quiet roads, gravel tracks, bit of off road fine
    – 70km-100km per day
    – Don’t mind if it’s hilly
    – B&B not camping so needs to be somewhere we can find places to stay (hence wild Scotland probably out)
    – Good views and big skies!

Any ideas? Ta.

kynasf
    Free Member

Have you had a look at the stuff on Komoot? This one for example, caught my eye the other week and might be an option for me next year.

TomB

C2c Whitehaven to Newcastle then return via the Reivers way along Hadrians wall? 4 or 5 days would be a pretty mellow pace, about 120 miles each way IIRC.

Alex

Thanks both. I seemed to struggle with Komoot. I’ll have to have another go>.

@kyansf – can you post the link. Nothing in your original post

@tomB
    – I’ll take a look, might not be long enough…

aP
    Free Member

We did this https://bikepacking.com/routes/ardennes-arbalete/ earlier this year. It would definitely suit 4 days. Plenty of towns to drop in and out of and some really remote.

stumpy01
    Alex

@aP – I like the look of that. I was browsing a site with all of the routes near the channel crossing a while back, but with the Eurostar to Brussels, that one is still a flyer. Looks a great route

@stumpy01
    – bit too close to the Welsh C2C and we’ve done the Trans Cambrian on MTBs so kind of done with that bit of Wales for now.

jameso

https://www.secondcitydivide.cc/ – 600km, Glasgow to Mcr, light MTB or fat tyre gravel bike sort of thing

Alex

Hmm @jameso – not sure I’m man enough for that. I like riding through forests. That looks pretty bleak!

The Belgium one looks fab. Could add a night in Brussels on way home to sample ‘local produce’ 🙂

kcal

Badger Divide.
    Scottish Coast to Coast.

Have a look at HT550 route (ah, probably out for the wild bit).

This .. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49541621

Abroad — Turin – Nice.

kynasf
    Free Member

https://www.komoot.com/collection/447/bikepacking-along-the-coast-of-northern-spain

Not sure why I can’t post a link, but text is above. There’s loads of inspiration on Komoot – still fairly new to it myself, but I’ve discovered lots of ideas

Alex

Callum – I think the HT550 also fits into the ‘I’m a bit nesh for that’ category. I’ll check out the other ones tho. I love riding in Scotland except for a) midges and b) rain 🙂

I’ll take a look at Kamoot as well. Lots of detail in that link.

jimdubleyou

There are places to stay along the Badger Divide so you don’t have to camp. Killin / Loch Ossian / Fort Augustus splits it into roughly 100km days.

jaminb
    Free Member

I also rode the Ardennes Arbalete earlier this year – really good and easy to get to Liege by Eurostar and train from Brussels.

The previous year I rode the The Traversée du Massif Vosgien more mountainous, harder and longer ride than the Arbalete but not as easy logistically. I could not get to Strasbourg by train in a day so ended up driving and parking in Strasbourg airport longstay. From Strasbourg very easy to get to the start and back using local trains but you will could lose a couple of days in logistics.

Transcambrian Way double? I loved our single attempt it took us 3 days but I had a couple of mates slowing me down! We did it in October so not enough light for longer days riding and we spent alot of time in the pub!

kcal

One route I thought of was getting ferry to Arran, over Arran, then to Campbeltown and do the Caledonian Way, ending up in Inverness. Sustrans route 78. You could extend that to get back further south, or head a little northwards still to the vastness of Easter Ross and Sutherland – fill your boots for gravel routes up there.

— rain. From the man who rides in Wales..

kcal

— there must be other more exciting stuff around as well — we went for a week’s walking holiday in the Grenoble / Vercors region, and the number of ‘white roads’ and bikes around was incredible. Should be able to stitch together either a loop of point to point with train transfer. Chat up @macpuppy?

jameso

@Alex
    Ha.. on a nice day it’d be beautiful but I know what you mean. Desolate. Sections of it might be worth looking at for a plan-your-own trip if the general area works for you.

As someone mentioned, the Turin-Nice route maybe,if >16,000m climbing isn’t off-putting. Landscapes are worth it.

Info-
    https://torino-nice.weebly.com/
    routes –
    https://www.komoot.com/collection/887927/-the-torino-nice-rally

Can be adapted to suit 5-7 days. Logistics a bit trickier as it’s point to point but a direct road ride over the Col Lombarde joins Nice and Turin in ‘only’ ~320km or so if you wanted to make a loop of a chunk of it. You can cut out the 1st day big climb also. Mail me via the TNR site if you want more info.

jameso

Grenoble / Vercors region

Oh yes … incredible roads there. Not explored much gravel or forest roads but there are the most jaw-dropping sections of balcony road, fairly short sections, but stop-in-your-tracks stunning.

Alex

The thing with riding in Scotland (other than the rain and yes I am used to it, but it doesn’t mean I go hunting for it!) is it’s about as quick to get to the continent. Especially on the train where the UK railways seem to actively discriminate against bikes.

I will have a look at those two tho. I do like the idea of a ‘wild’ ride. As long as there’s a nice B&B at the end of every day

Kind of feel like I’ve done the TC now. I know Phill who guides up there has done it in a day, but that’s just madness. Spending time in the pub is a pre-requisite of our rides!

Useful stuff all. Ta.

Alex

oooh @jameso that looks the kind of thing. I shall take a proper look at that later- thanks a lot.

Callum- that’s a good idea re: Grenoble.

Some happy exploring on google earth to do I think!

Chew
    Free Member

We had a great week riding this in late September
    Route

You can adapt it as you want, and if you have good Spanish you’ll be able to find accommodation each night.
    Theres a few short sections when a mountain bike may be useful, but its mostly gravel roads.

aP
    Free Member

Last year we had a week in the Cévennes and had a mildly ambitious 4 day route planned until I pulled my back the day before we went so just did day rides instead. There’s some great riding out there.
    This September we had a week in the Vosges for a 4 day road tour. It’s not a busy area so the roads are good.
    Next spring we’re going to Avalon to ride into the Morvan National Park.

macpuppy
    Free Member

oh hello Singletrack … it’s been a while my old friends !
    did someone call ?

Hi Alex ( waves )
    yeah, Grenoble, as you know I’ve chosen to live here twice so far in my life and expect that if ever business calls me away again I’ll comeback for a 3rd time – there are endless riding opportunities around here to string together days & days of riding in the Vercors [ pm me and I’ll fill your boots / come riding if you like ], Chartreuse and over there ( points SE-ish ) in the Alps

oh and Torino-Nice … I took part in this years edition, yawdroppingly awesome & it’s going to be massively oversubscribed again next year as a result of all the +ve feedback flying around. Thankfully James has posted the route so you can use all or part of it in your own adventure plans

longsider
    Free Member

Anyone know wherevai could get a gpx file for the Welsh gravel route that @stumpy1 linked further up this post. That looks a great first proper long gravel ride for the summer

Cheers

Marin
    Free Member

Is it easy to just jump on a train back from Nice to Turin without booking a bike on does anyone know? I quite fancy this route for a potential holiday next year.

jameso

^ it’s not difficult but it could be a bit disjointed between regional and national lines and Italy and France, depends on the route. Look up the route out of Ventimiglia (rideable distance from Nice) via Tende to Cuneo then Cuneo-Turin. Both are ‘regionale’ trains with bike sections, get an extra bike ticket for 3.50 euros. Don’t think you need to book in advance. Some more info on the TNR site from our helper in Turin if you search on the Updates page.

DavidB
    Free Member

Southern way from Lands End to Exeter. But there’s hills, lot’s of hills

tall_martin

I did a week round central Sweden on backroads and gravel in 2004 staying in Yha’s.

It was ace!

Tip tips
    Book the Yha near lakes in summer well in advance. Who knew accommodation near lakes in perfect swimming season would be booked at the weekend! Not me and I had to do 100 miles then 150 miles the bed day because of it.

Don’t leave your bike outside in small cities. You might come back to the rear of a bike with no handle bars or forks! Grrr!

Also, I was invited to hang out with some folk because “ we don’t have enough men in our party”!!! However they were about 15 so I had to decline the offer.

Sweden, gravel backroads and lakes 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a couple of routes in Sweden on bikepacking.com, both in the area around Stockholm:

https://bikepacking.com/routes/swedish-safari-300/

https://bikepacking.com/routes/wilder-stockholm/

In fact there’s a good selection from Europe – https://bikepacking.com/locations/europe/

Edit: should mention that the number of days given by bikepacking.com tends to be generous, IME they are typically about 50% more than a steady pace would achieve.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Come to Cataluna. There’s dozens of bikepacking trips available and it’s not too remote to build a route around B&B’s or hostals. We run just such a B&B from which you can do multi day loops or linear routes.
    Here’s our website Casa Tomillo I run a trip in the Spring that goes from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic coast, write up here
    SC2C
    It’s a fabulous unspoilt area, we can organise airport transfer, Reus is very cheap to get to, and store your stuff or guide you if you want. Spring is perfect weather wise, long sunny days but not too hot.

Alex

Thanks again. Some fantastic looking trips here. I’ve not had time to have a proper look yet but will do this weekend.

Marin
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso I’m struggling to choose between several countries and bikepacking or just plain old mtbing. Apparently I do suffer first world problems.

BoardinBob

Hebridean Way

Did it in June. Hammered it over 3 days but 4-5 would be more enjoyable

Blackflag
    Free Member

I asked a similar question the other week and have settled on doing the Hebridean Way in June next year. Take a look at that.

thenorthwind

C2c Whitehaven to Newcastle then return via the Reivers way

I’ve done exactly this, over 4 days, using the off-road bits of the C2C, on gravel bikes. Total mileage was about 340 miles, and though I’m pretty endurance fit (do plenty of audaxes, bikepacking ITTs, done C2C in a day) I found it fairly tough going. Stayed at Skiddaw House one night, as an out and back from the north – obviously adds a big off-road climb but worth it. Might be worth another look – I’d do it again.

Edit: just noticed this thread is a year old! I wondered why no-one was mentioning that accommodation might not be available etc. 😆 Them were the days!

Marin
    Free Member

My hopeful posts of foreign jaunts turned into Lakeland 200 and Cairngorms Loop for this year. Hebredian Way next year whilst waiting for the world to sort itself out. Good luck world.

Elbows

If Germany appeals, and travel allows, look at either Bodensee to Berchtesgaden or the Bayerischewald tour.
    A group of us are planning to do the Bayerischewald tour. Contact the Tourist information and they send an info pack with gpx and accommodation.
    We did Bodensee to Berchtesgaden and it was great, despite the Covid constraints

scotroutes

Spam Alert. Necro thread.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘4-7 day backpacking adventure ideas please..’ is closed to new replies.