£4-5K to spend on a "modern classic" convertible, what would you buy?

Home Forum Chat Forum £4-5K to spend on a "modern classic" convertible, what would you buy?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • £4-5K to spend on a "modern classic" convertible, what would you buy?
  • FunkyDunc

In the BMW you will look like a non successfull drug dealer.

I don’t think any 4 seater soft tops hold their value, as generally they are rubbish, apart from the BM, but then see point above.

You should also wait until the middle of winter to buy one, will be about £1k cheaper… unless its just an impulse buy because the UK is having 1 week if good weather?

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Aren’t all 4 seater convertibles a bit

Edric 64

Or an A4 convertible .The very unsuccessful drug dealers car!

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

Not necessarily to everybody’s taste, but I liked my classic Saab 900 turbo convertible. Went well, solid build quality, a bit flexible, but to be expected with a 4-seater convertible.

Cheers, Rich

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

You’ll end up looking like Hitler, or Hitlers chauffeur.

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

I’d buy a CLK 55AMG convertible. I reckon that they have just about reached as low as they are going to go. Robust and quick. Just watch out for rust.

cbmotorsport

Saab 900 Turbo is a good shout.

ac505

Thinking on picking up a convertible, looking for something that will not drop like a brick in value, ie a future classic. Considering an old 89-02 Merc SL or possibly 3 Series BMW. Needs to be reasonably quick, 4 seats so no 2 seat roadsters. What would you go for?

willard

The insistance on four seats is a tricky one, if it was just a two seater I would have said the Honda S2000. Lots for that money and they seem to stay there.

Four seats? Land rover? Sink a V8 in it and it will be fun.

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Everyone I know who’s had a convertible has got rid of it PDQ. Usually after the first winter.

ohnohesback

Yes, remember the UK winters, cold and wet and windy, then buy a proper car with a proper roof.

joeegg

A friend has just bought a Jaguar XK convertible 2003 to sit for years on his driveway.No idea of what he paid.

lodious

Yes, remember the Uk winters, cold and wet and windy

Same goes for normal British summer too…the weather ain’t typical at the moment 😉

tinsy

Hard to fault the SL, but the age your talking about takes a bit of luck getting the right car & they are expensive to sort out, how about a CLK? I like the old shape up to 2002 ones, but your budget gets the later shape too which can be found in diesel & are economical.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Everyone I know who’s had a convertible has got rid of it PDQ. Usually after the first winter.

Roof down on a frosty night with the heaters on full blast. Absolutely awesome fun. Ran a soft top for years through winters with no problems.

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

I don’t know you so my statement still stands. 8)

MGB

For £5k you should get one without rust. They’re appreciating pretty quickly at the moment, and there’s plenty of scope to make it as quick as you like. With a bit of tickling the V8’s will do 250+ bhp.

The back seats are only good for kids under about 12 though.

They’re as reliable as you make them though, leave it on the driveway and never investigate those rattles, squeaks, missfires or underseal it and it’ll unceramoniously leave you stranded miles from anywhere or reward you with big welding bills come MOT time. Wield a sympathetic spanner on it once in a while* and I commuted daily in my Midget and the only breakdown was running out of petrol when the guage stuck!

*like bikes, there’ll always be something that need tweaking after every big drive/week commuting and you’ll keep a running list in the back of your mind of things to service/replace/upgrade.

ac505

What ever I go for will be occasional use only so fuel,consumption/handling winter etc is not a consideration. Always thought the CLK as a bit jelly mould ish, lines just seemed a little bland to my eye.

If it was a 2 sweater, it
    would be a s2000 without doubt, unfortunately we would rather 4 so the nippers can enjoy the ride too (mind you the back seat of a convertible is never a particularly nice place to be!!)

Premier Icon goslow
    Subscriber

I’ll go with BoardInBob. The convertibles I’ve had have all had good insulated roofs that fit well and are very weatherproof. I also drive with the roof down in winter, the heater works well. Just means I have to ignore various hand signals and comments!
    The Saabs, Mercedes and Audis should be equally good in winter as summer.

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Golf Mk1?

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

I’m with BoardinBb on this, I once drove all the way from Edinburgh to London with the roof down one Christmas time, nice and toasty, especially with the heated seats too 🙂

This was my Saab

Actually the only car I ever made money on when selling!

Cheers, Rich

edlong

Dunno if them Volvos (C70?) are any good, but they have four seats and can be picked up cheap enough.

Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

Not sure if this fits in your price bracket…

Moses

Saab 9-3. Nice.

+1 on the Volvo .
    They appear on the screen price to be very good value for money just now.
    I used to run Saab 900 T16’s and the convertables were one of the lowest depreciating ‘affordable’ cars. Not sure on the newer shape ’91 – GM floor pan ones. They look very nice though.
    Audi 80 / A4 would tick the boxes .
    If you could find an XKR that would be awesome fun, rear seats are tiny though.

PJM1974

Modern classic? Either an old MX5 or an S2000.

If it were my £4k? It’d be a Mk2 Golf 16v but it’s neither a convertible nor rear wheel drive.

edlong

Modern classic? Either an old MX5 or an S2000.

Last time I checked they were somewhat deficient in the rear seat department. To the tune of any…

PJM1974

Last time I checked they were somewhat deficient in the rear seat department. To the tune of any…

Ah heck, I didn’t read the last sentence. Sorry.

MX5 and a bus pass?

Or an eminently sensible Saab 900?

beefheart

Get a divorce and a caterham 7.

andeh

You could get an Audi TT/MX5, though you’d probably have to buy hair salon and a shit load of Abba CDs to go with it.

toby1

645CI – V8, sounds great, looks camp as all soft tops. I heard one start up the other day and I’ve been hunting one ever since!

chojin

My personal favourite and a car I’ve always wanted is a Lotus Elan.

Beautiful 🙂

*edit oh well, it’s a 2 seater. Never mind, it’s still an awesome looking car!

Did the pre 89 merc SL have four seats?

645CI – V8, sounds great, looks camp as all soft tops. I heard one start up the other day and I’ve been hunting one ever since!

Dont think you will find one that doesn’t need alot of work for £4.5k.
    Shame as they are lovely looking and realistically over £7kish

Premier Icon parkesie
    Subscriber

The 205 would be a hoot and cheap to buy and run.

unovolo

Your budget should get you a tidy one and they dont seem to be losing any money at the moment.

marvincooper

How about a Beetle?

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

It would be hard not to have one of these on your list, surprisingly affordable and the Saabs I had did ome pretty high mile ages without any unexpected problems.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘£4-5K to spend on a "modern classic" convertible, what would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.