3×9 to 2×9 using 2×10 chainset??

Home Forum Bike Forum 3×9 to 2×9 using 2×10 chainset??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 3×9 to 2×9 using 2×10 chainset??
  • timb34

My drivetrain is in the “can’t believe it’s still working” stage of wear, so I was looking at replacing chain, cassette, jockey wheels and chainset (seems cheaper to buy a Deore chainset than 3 chainrings!)

I’m tempted to just get a full SLX 2×10 groupset, but that’s quite expensive.

I need to replace the cassette and chain anyway, but I’m wondering if I could install an SLX 2×10 chainset to go to 2×9. Keeping 11-34 out back (with the same RD) and going from 44 32 22 to 40 28 on the front.

I’m pretty sure the chainrings would work with a 9 speed chain, and I THINK the chainring spacing is the same, but could I use the current 9 speed FD, just by setting the limit screws?

Anyone done this?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

You can, but do they do an SLX double with those ratios? Thought the SLX doubles were more ‘trail’ ratios rather than ‘race’?

You can just stick some TA chainrings on your existing cranks too, will still work when you go 10 speed. 40/28’s a good choice.

timb34

I was looking at this one:
    http://www.alltricks.fr/vtt/pedaliers-boitiers/pedaliers-manivelles-10v/shimano-2013-pedalier-slx-m675-double-40-x-28-175mm-10-vitesses-boitier-161-134263.html

I started off looking at chainrings, but two Spécialités TA rings come to the same price as a full Deore chainset with HT BB (currently on M442 chainset with Octalink BB, so looking at changing).

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Yep looks great. For some reason assumed you had SLX already. Go nuts.

timb34

Woo… Cheers njee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘3×9 to 2×9 using 2×10 chainset??’ is closed to new replies.