Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 3×9 to 2×10 – what do I need
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Wanting to upgrade the gearing on my Bizango on the cheap..

Know I definitely need a new chain, cassette, rear mech and rear shifter… I think!

How do I go about converting my existing 9spd triple crank to 10spd double, and if I limit my front mech high stop will that just force my front shifter to a double??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Set the front mech up right, just don’t over shift.
    Front rings are more important (not the cheap way…) You can go something like 24/38or39 on a double with a normal 10sp Front Mech. This gives you most of the range of the triple. If you add a bash to the big ring side it will also stop you over shifting.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I find a double front so awkward as i never feel like I’m in the right chainring and end up using the cassette extremes constantly. For me a single ring 32t makes much more sense. If going double I’d be tempted by 36/24 and an 11-32 cassette

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’d go 1×10 with an 11-36 and spend a few quid on one of these…

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/xpr-expander-ring.htm

smurfly13
    Free Member

I’d go 1×10 with an 11-36 and spend a few quid on one of these…

That looks interesting!! Only ride trail centre stuff and nothing extreme so 11-4 on a 1×10 might work…… its just more expense as always!

Could I make a triple crank work with a 1 x 10 speed??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Could I make a triple crank work with a 1 x 10 speed??

why not, just put a bash ring on the outside and take the ring of the inside.

If you are going with an expander you might want to consider moving one of the BB spacers from the drive side to the non-drive side so the chain line to the expanded ring will be less extreme.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve ridden for years with an expander mate, yeah you can convert to SS. Works best with a clutch mech but as long as you get a narrow wide chainring you should avoid any chain drop.

By the way I love the Bizango.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Looking like 1×10 is the way to go.

Thinking a staged process, fit a bash guard on my triples, it reduces that to 32/22, with the intention of sticking just to the 32 9 speed ring, with new 10 speed clutch mech, 11-36 cassette and chain.

Then 2nd wave – narrow wide 32t chainring and 40t expander.

That should work right? 9 speed chainrings on a 10 speed chain initially??

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Id get the 32t n/w to begin with, it makes a huge difference

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a bash ring at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you could also look at those oval n/w rings that chainreaction have, they are pretty cheap and you wouldn’t have the possible issue with a 10 speed chain being tight on the 9 speed rings.

nickc

I’ve got a 32t Hope N/W on a XT triple crankset, works just fine as 1×10

smatkins1
    Free Member

Only ride trail centre stuff and nothing extreme

1×10 should suffice then, it’ll be good for the legs too 🙂

If I were you and trying to keep costs down I’d be buying:

A deore clutch (shadow +) medium cage mech
    A deore 10 speed RH shifter
    A Shimano 11-36t cassette in budget (I’m not sure if you can get the deore one in 11-36t, the SLX ones are very closely priced. Although I think you’ll have to go with an XT one if you want to run an extender ring)
    I personally avoid Shimano chains as I see a lot breaking, so I’d pick a KMC one in the permanent CRC sale.
    I’d also get a narrow wide ring from Superstar. I’d be putting a 34t on, but you might want a 32t until you get used to the reduced range of gears. You might need some shorter bolts for attaching a single ring to your existing cranks and perhaps a few small spacers to perfect the chainline.

I wouldn’t bother with an extender ring first of all. See how you find things. Then if you feel you really really need one you could fit one later.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Agree with every single word of what smatkins1 is saying mate, KMC chains, Deore gear is brilliant apart from I’d get a Zee shifter (I think it’s the best Shimano shifter) and it’s only £16

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-zee-sl-m640-shifter/aid:591961?gclid=CMrjt96a3ccCFeoJwwodaiEKaQ

smurfly13
    Free Member

Excellent cheers for the advice.

1×10 it is! You are right, to run the expander it needs to be a XT cassette – will keep an eye on the for sale and hopefully big the bits up 2nd hand!!

sboardman

Super timing, my rear mech has just died horribly. Perfect excuse for upgrade-o-clock!

Not to hijack the thread too much…

Any thoughts whether its worth spending the extra £1.50 to get the zee (wide range) rear mech?

sboardman

Actually scratch that. I think that if I want to (eventually) run a cassette expander the short cage on the zee mech isn’t ideal. I shall keep my £1.50 thank you kindly.

Superstar are also doing 25% off during September. Code is BTS25FB

Poopscoop

If that superstar expander isnt widened at the bottom (like some brands state they are) wont it dig the heck out of a Hope (for instance) alloy freewheel?

Sorry for hijack!

cookeaa

Superstar are also doing 25% off during September. Code is BTS25FB

Ta muchley!

New N/W ring and expander ordered for £42 bargain…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘3×9 to 2×10 – what do I need’ is closed to new replies.