• This topic has 31 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 3k endurance road bike with hydros?
  • davosaurusrex

Currently have a 2016 Defy advanced with hydros and full Ultegra, very nice and all but my knackered wrists would like some more front end compliance. I would also like Di2 and through axles in an ideal world. How much actual difference in ride quality can I expect between my Defy and a 2020 bike? I imagine the differences are more pronounced with bikes like the Roubaix which actually have some suspension.

Don’t think a bike with hydros and Di2 exists at that budget although Orro get close at 3.2k, happy to be proven wrong though

3k figure comes from the fact that work have just upped the C2W limit and Cycle Solutions now let you order from a large number of bike shops, not everything will be available (no Ribble for example) but most brands seem to be. Dunno if you can top up. All pie in the sky as we need a new bathroom but I’m just idly wondering if I can get a grand for the Defy then it’s a relatively cheap route to upgrade, doesn’t mean its worthwhile though if not that much difference

anagallis_arvensis

Are you running the widest tyres you can on the defy? A Roubaix will be more comfortable on the hands but its not a cheap bike. I have the Diverge with Future shock and it works really well on and off road. I cant see other 2020 bikes being more compliant unless you can add bigger tyres.

alialiali
    Free Member

I can squeeze a 28c tyre in the front of my 2016 Defy. If you haven’t gone that wide yet it might be worth a go. Tubeless could help a little too.

More importantly a proper bike fit and adjust to take some of the load off of your arms might be what you’re really after. If you’ve noticeably lost flexibility in the last few years it could be worthwhile.

If you want something new, by all means do it, but it’s a road bike at the end of the day, there’s no magic comfort solution aside from it fitting you well.

davosaurusrex

Been on 28s for a few years. It fits well, got a 230mm head tube so not much more weight to come off the wrists! You’re both echoing what I’m thinking that the difference won’t be that marked. Plenty of life left in the Defy

MoreCashThanDash

I’m picking up my new Scott Addict 10 tomorrow, will let you know….

enmac
    Free Member

I have a Canyon Endurace which is a great bike. The CF SL 8.0 comes with hydros and DI2 for £3049. Not sure if you can get it through C2W though.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

More front end compliance? I take it you mean road vibrations being transmitted through your hands on the bars. One of the guys out with us today was complaining about numb hands. I suggested to him he needs to improve core strength. Your hands should be holding the bars like a concert pianist deftly moves his hands over the keyboard. No need to grip tight or put any weight on them. There’s a good book on core strength called Core Advantage by Tom Danielson/Alison Westfahl.

I have weak wrists too (old fractures from bike accidents) but have no issues on my hands or wrists during long rides. I reckon it’s because I do a few core sessions a week.

anagallis_arvensis

I hit a pothole hard in the dark a few years ago had an issue with my right hand ever since. Double wrap tape or gel inserts under tape and Spesh body geometry mitts help. My road bike maes out at 25mm tyres and has double wrapped tape on bars, it all fine.

qwerty
    Free Member

2020 Defy Advanced can fit 35c!!!

aP
    Free Member

The Mason Resolution **just** makes your budget?

damascus
    Free Member

If your wrists are that bad with 28mm tyres it sounds like you should put flat bars on it, proper ergo grips, hydraulic brakes and di2 shifting?

I’ve had some problems with the palms of my hands. Last year I bought some tri bars with 2 blocks to raise them (I’m 6ft3)

When I’m on the tri bars my head and shoulders are in almost the same position as when I’m on the drops but all the weight is on my elbows. I sometimes ride with my fingers holding the pads where my elbows go.

I rarely use the drops now unless it’s very windy. I keep toying with the idea of changing the bars.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you wanna upgrade, and if secondhand prices are still a bit nuts, then it would be a good time to make the switch to something like the new Defy.

I know other bikes have suspension wotsits or whatever, but bigger volume tyres will be the most obvious fix for you, surely?

Saying that, I’ve just moved to 28mm from 25mm and I’m loving it. Might double wrap my bars too, as they feel too skinny as is.

llama

Forget di2 and get a mason resolution/definition

Take 30mm tyres with full guards

baddddad
    Free Member

Forget di2 and get a mason resolution/definition

Take 30mm tyres with full guards

Very much this. Definition is a fantastic bike, seriously quick despite being classed as “endurance”. Very comfortable on longer rides and can take a gravel tire.

If you can find a deal on a di2 group you might just hit your budget with a rolling chassis form mason

felltop

Or get a Fairlight Strael.

davosaurusrex

Had a look on Ebay and some 2016 Defys with lower spec than mine have sold for really strong money, in some ways it doesn’t make sense not to upgrade now. Behold my man maths! Someone explain this to my wife please….
    Left wrist isn’t great but it isn’t that bad (badly healed broken scaphoid 28 years back, Christ that makes me feel old), starts getting a bit sore after an hour but did a century a couple of years back. Down on mileage lately though and changing on the front really fatigues it after a while so would really like Di2. Lots to think about, best not to delay too long whilst second hand prices are still up, need to find something decent in stock or not too long a lead time. Saturday night new bike research, wheeee!

stevious

As some others have said, core strength and good bike fit are likely to have more effect on the strain on your wrists than a new bike.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t get a new bike, obvs. But the Tom Danielson book and a couple of hours with a good fitter will likely make your life better all round.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Di2 is a good option. I have a fractured scaphoid on my left wrist (it’s healed now but not good for twisting motion) and the difference di2 makes is phenomenal.

davosaurusrex

My word that Definition looks and sounds good. Only just round the corner from me as well, in fact I pretty much pass by every time I go out on the roadie, had never realised!

I know what a difference Di2 makes to my left wrist, same as you aberdeenlune. I haven’t really kept up with road bikes, so much choice. Thing is I know what I want from an MTB and have bought plenty blind but road bike geo I’m not so clued up on. Defo going to see if Mason have demo bikes.

Hear what’s been said about core strength and that though, turned 46 this week so am back on the Joe Wickes program. Fundamentally I’m lazy so having someone telling me what to do and for how long is ideal.

TiRed

If your wrists are sore, it’s your position not your bike. I have a plate in my right wrist after breaking it in three planes through the joint surfaces. I know what knackered feels like. But I ride a defy with 25c, I don’t put much weight on my wrists but still manage a 7cm saddle to bar drop. And I can ride on the drops. I’d suspect saddle position is causing too much weight forward. Either tilted slightly or too far back.

It’s nothing to do with core strength. It’s weight taken through the legs based on saddle position relative to bottom bracket. Those audax riders don’t do it on core strength.

davosaurusrex

Turns out it’s true what everyone is saying – there’s next to sod all available to buy! Listed my Defy last night and even though it’s got loads of folk following it and requests to send it to Holland etc think I’m going to have to pull the auction, otherwise I risk ending up with no bike.

So then, Di2 and wheel upgrade on C2W? Form a queue to tell me I’m immoral for even considering it.

ransos
    Free Member

My word that Definition looks and sounds good. Only just round the corner from me as well, in fact I pretty much pass by every time I go out on the roadie, had never realised!

I bought mine in 2015 and it still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I’ve banged out fast centuries, long audaxes, toured in Europe, club runs, overnight rides, and it’s felt completely at home in all those situations.

davosaurusrex

Have been in touch with Mason today as it goes but no Definition demos in my size. Also waiting to hear back on lead times.
    Anyone South East got a 60cm Definition I could have a quick go on?

tpbiker
    Free Member

A defy with 28mm tyres should be pretty comfy already. What about a redshift stem if you are desperate for some suspension. And if you are thinking flex stem.. Read the reviews before you dismiss!

davosaurusrex

Had already looked at those. Unfortunately mine has the oversized steerer so not an option

TiRed

Well in the absence of a new bike, how about an online fit to help relieve the wrist pain? Based on you looking for a 60cm frame, I presume you are 6ft or more and ride a large Defy? What are the following dimensions?

Centre of BB to top of saddle
    Saddle nose to BB set back – drop vertical from nose down to crank (and saddle brand)
    Saddle nose to middle of handle bar clamp
    Saddle top drop to handle bars

(Some people like reach and stack, but these are easier to measure and set up)

And of course your Height and inseam without shoes and whether you are taller or shorter than your arm span.

PM me if you wish, I do this for our club and have the badges to show for it.

davosaurusrex

Thanks for the offer TiRed, is this something you charge for?

Just under 6’4″ and XL Defy, I like the stack as in addition to dodgy wrist I have chronic slipped discs in lower back and broke my neck a couple of years ago so looking up for extended periods is a bit of an issue. The reach however feels a bit long, 90mm stem, compact bars but have had to put the Prologo Kappa Evo saddle right forward on the rails. Hydro brakes though which I think add about 10mm. Have ridden my brother’s 58cm Rose a fair bit and prefer the handling, feels livelier but did get a bit of toe overlap.

I realise a lot of the above isn’t that helpful so will do some measuring and PM you

TiRed

No it’s just a hobby. I have a day job 😉

Even though you are tall, the XL sounds like it is a bit large. Do you have long legs and a shorter body perchance? Measure those four dimensions. And your inseam without shoes.

jonba
    Free Member

Rose bikes as an option. Just placed an order for an X-lite 4 Di2 disc. Basic spec is nearly in budget and apparently in stock.

I rate them. I own an older model of the x-lite.

davosaurusrex

I am thinking that might be the case TiRed. Was riding last night and although I have very little weight on my hands I nevertheless wanted to move my hands back towards me on the bars a couple of cm.

jonba – yes my Brother’s Xeon Di2 was very nice but not a C2W option unfortunately

davosaurusrex

Sent you a pm @TiRed – sure it’s not top of your to do list but thought I’d mention it as I never seem to get pm notifications from here

TiRed

Sorry I missed it. Replied with a suggestion.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘3k endurance road bike with hydros?’ is closed to new replies.