Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 3D printing of a bike part.
  • shredder
    Free Member

Does anybody have any recommendations as to where I could get a part printed. I have the file ready to send/use.
    Many thanks

convert

what are you wanting to print and in what material?

shredder
    Free Member

Its a small seat tube mounted mud guard thing, designed specifically for the frame I have. Material some sort of hard wearing/rigid plastic.

convert

Maybe in tpu then…

I normally recommend 3D people UK, mainly because it was founded by a couple of my ex students. But they have moved on a bit and might not be into one off quite like they were.

richmars

If you’ve got a step file just upload to, eg, Protolabs, and you’ll get an immediate quote, and you can select what material. I’ve used them for years and always good results, but I don’t have to pay myself!

cheers_drive

For that application I’d recommend SLS or MJF PA12 Nylon. We don’t print one offs for individuals but there are a few instant quote bureaus that will although there is often a minimum order value.

bikesandboots

I used SGD 3D to print a few of these Shimano derailleur cage locks – https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4668717

Nothing else came close for an efficient part for a small quantity – many had a high setup charge, minimum order value, or expensive delivery.

shredder
    Free Member

Thank you all.

stumpy01

@shredder

PM me and I’ll see what I can do.
    It will be PLA so probably won’t be massively tough, but I’ll take a look at the model & make an assessment.
    I could probably rattle it off without too much bother, perhaps just postage to pay and a donation to a Ukrainian aid fund…

If I look at the model and think it won’t be tough enough to bother with I’ll let you know.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Might be worth trying polycarb, bit tougher than some. For SLS, you’ll probably have high startup costs (from experience of trying to get a quote and now working with SlS parts)

Also have a look on 3D hubs, you’ll be able to find a local company that can print or post your part, or at very least, give you a quote

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Try your local library? Several in Perthshire have 3d printers you can use for a nominal charge.

cookeaa

‘Protolabs’ or ‘imaterialise’ are both good for 3D printing.

DickBarton

I was going to suggest local library as well – my local one has just been updated and renovated and now has a technology room with 2 (or 3) 3d printers…I’ve no idea how to use them yet as I can’t work out what I’m wanting to try and print, but from what I understand is you book time on the printer and you get on with it.

thenorthwind

Have a look for a local maker space too, you might find the membership fee less than the cost of a one off part, and a group of people who are often willing to help.

richmars

I guess you don’t want to spend too much so you need to find someone to help. FYI, Protolabs will charge £129 for one in ABS. (Probably not the material you want but an indication of how much a company will charge.)

stewmur

I’ve used https://www.rigidprints.co.uk who didn’t have daft set up costs.

takisawa2

We have a couple at work. It’s only a basic nylon they use but if you send me the step file I can ask them to run one off for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘3D printing of a bike part.’ is closed to new replies.