Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 3D printing axle end caps? Will I die?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got some old QR wheels which have 15mm ID bearings in them, with a spacer between the bearings so they go into a 15mm fork with a little bit of faffing getting the inner spacer lined up.

Would plastic end caps work? They’re not a moving part, and they’re not hugely loaded?

tjagain

All they do is control end float so they will be in compression – you won’t die but they might squish a bit and leave a wobbly wheel

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Be interesting to see how much they squish by. Suppose at least if they do I’ll have the right CAD file to get some machined!

Or I could find some 15mmID tube machined to length and just 3d print the seal part of the end cap…..

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I reckon you will be ok, whilst waiting for my new wheeels, i used some plastic tubing to form spacers so i could run my non boost wheels in boost forks. It worked out fne, just a bit of a faff puttng the wheel on and off.

igm

Print in wax and have a go at casting end caps?

(How hard can it be?)

Murray

Investment casting. When my dad trained as a dentist in the early 1950s they had to produce a cast of s fly.

damascus
    Free Member

A friend of mine recently took a pair of Hope end caps and cut them down to fit a set of Alex hubs.

Daffy

I 3D printed* some adjusters for a 130mm disc hub to allow it to run at 135mm. They worked fine and still do, I believe.

* the were made to aerospace standards and from aerospace aluminium as that’s when was being printed at the time, so that’s what they got smuggled into.

thepodge
    Free Member

I did some to fit a 15 front and 12 rear in a qr wheel truing jig, used PLA and it was pretty tough, can’t see it squishing myself, cracking and breaking maybe but I think its unlikely.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘3D printing axle end caps? Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.