Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 3800 lumen, 'and the Lord said……..'
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

this is getting silly?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3800Lm-3x-CREE-XML-XM-L-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-18650-/190572267649?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item2c5efe0881

How long before we have 7.6k Lm going for a fiver?

Yet, I’m feeling a stiring 😳 🙄

shaxi
    Free Member

you make me feel confused ! 😆

althepal

Deary me.. This is getting out of hand now..
    Will wait for one of the “light fantastics” to get hold of it and take it to bits I think!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trout
    Free Member

well that will be me out of the lighting business soon the way the chinese are swamping the world
    with grossly exagerated lumened lights for a bowl of rice.

woo woo my Dominator. is now instantly upgraded to. 3800 lumens just need to screw the machine shop
    down to £ 0.50 per housing and get batteries off smudge for. £1 each. and should be on a winner.

Luminous
    Free Member

well that will be me out of the lighting business soon the way the chinese are swamping the world
    with grossly exagerated lumened lights for a bowl of rice.

woo woo my Dominator. is now instantly upgraded to. 3800 lumens just need to screw the machine shop
    down to £ 0.50 per housing and get batteries off smudge for. £1 each. and should be on a winner.

Yeap, the Chinese steam roller marches relentlessly onward.

Keep the faith Trout.
    😉

Wally

Runtime with those 2 Ultrapants will be about 20 mins, not 1 1/2 hours. I would not give up yet Trout, it’s a silly length and runs on a daft small amount of batteries.
    My new bodgeit and co Triple XML build at 2.8amps is running off 8 18650’s, 2 packs of 4 in parallel and I still reckon I might just get about 2.5 hours on full.

chriswilk
    Free Member

complete bollocks on the spec.
    The theoretical max of the XML is ~1.2k lumen. This is in ideal conditions with no lensing, active cooling, etc.
    In reality, in a well made unit with good heatsinking and a decent lens/reflector the max achieved is about 950 lumen.
    The torch in question is too small to have good heat sinking, and for sure hasn’t a decent refelctor and lens. I’d give it 2.5k lumen max.

And as said above, the battery will last about 20 mins.

cooie

Chris, don’t ever give up. There will always be people who want lights like yours. Good quality, that will last years. Keep on keeping on:-)

Edit: and Luminous too.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Ooooow don’t take me out of context peeps, I was pointing this out for it’s humorous content only; in light of the above mentioned performance issues.

+1 for Troutie not giving up…quality products made by a cyclist as opposed to being thrown together in an eastern sweat shop 8O.

I’m aiming for a DD-Spidy eyes combo mainly because I really like both products in their own right; prob not use them together tbh – it’s kind of got the Tracey Emin factor….collectable….if you catch my drift?

chriswilk
    Free Member

Love Tubs – not out of context, just pointing out the flaws before the STW massive bulk buy then run out of juice half way down spooky wood on the first outing.

I’ve used a DD and spider eyes together. Also a Luminous 601 and Lib together. All these lights are more than enough on their own, but together really mad.
    I now use a lib on the bars and a single XML on the head and feel under lit without them both on fast and twisty stuff.
    On the climbs I’m teh opposite, seeing how long I can go without any light at all

DezB
    Free Member

That’s not silly!

THIS IS SILLY!

jedi

😯 how much

wrecker
    Free Member

£850?!?! for a light? Lupine need to climb out of their arse.
    Who buys this stuff?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Lupine…..and you are ❓

DezB
    Free Member

Who buys this stuff?

Exactly! While idiots pay those prices MTB industry keeps churning them out… I almost cancelled my MBR subscription when they gave that 9 out of 10. So VALUE means nothing these days?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Does anyone actually know of folks who’ve purchased one. I mean, even if I had won the lotto I’d not buy one….it’s a no brainer, surely??

molgrips
    Free Member

Trout, I emailed you about lights, you’re not gonna sell much if you don’t reply to mails 🙂

singletrackmind

I own a triple xml torch the same as the one above .
    It is stupid bright . Ok its probably only 2000lms , but its got a good throw and spread .
    The runtimes are way more than 1 hour , toggling between high and medium. Its brighter than my car headlights on full chat . The heatsink is massive , but this is reflected in the weight at 450gms.
    It is long but is not an issue when mounted on the bars.
    Does get warm on full power but certainly not too hot to handle , although i was constantly moving.
    Got a single XML U2 bin torch as a headlight as well . Bit daft actually , so much light your eyes adjust and after a while they dont seem bright , and light coloured tree trunks bounce so much light back it becomes blinding ,up close and personal like.

flashes
    Free Member

I was asked to move nearer the front of our group with Chris’s Spidereyes on my hat on last night’s ride. It reflected off the guy in front’s handlebars and created such shadows no one could see their own lights…it’s brill and that was on the lowest setting…..

coffeeking
    Free Member

bahhh humbug – I hate bright lights on night rides, totally takes away the point for me.

Northwind

I’d assumed the 3XML torch would instantly overheat but apparently it does work. Sort of tempted to get one to replace my old P7 torch/battery pack combo, even though it obviously doesn’t make 3600 lumens.

smudge
    Free Member

I don’t mind, as I get loads of duff batteries to try and fix or sell a better quality one – that costs more than the whole light they’ve just bought!!! But they can’t understand “how much! but the light only cost me £30”!

There will always be a market for the Trouties & Luminous’s lights to name a couple. So don’t give up 8)

Besides every year Troutie tells me this is his last year!

pegglet
    Free Member

Capt.trout will not be packing it in until i,v saved up for my Dominator and he,s upgraded my hope 4 to mega lumens. thankyou………

cooie

I didn’t think Troutie could do a Hope Vision 4.

trout
    Free Member

i have been sent one to play with
    looking to slot 4 xmls in and a lflex when they arrive
    when i had a go at the first one none off these new thingies existed so its hope four revisited

roblane65
    Free Member

So what your all saying is my £3.99 light set from t k max doesn’t cut the mustard 🙄

cooie

Oooh! I await the outcome 🙂
    Would a new battery be needed, Chris?

nicko74

Question for y’all, and apologies for the noobness, but while we’re talking about it…

If I wanted a torch-cum*-makeshift biking light in a bright, cheap format, where would I start and what would I look for? I have gathered that 3800Lm ebay torches are not the best place to start… 😉

*-no

mrelectric

i have been sent one to play with
    looking to slot 4 xmls in and a lflex when they arrive
    when i had a go at the first one none off these new thingies existed so its hope four revisited

Hi, I posted on an other post:
    Hope Vision 4 upgrade
    I know this is Hope 2 thread but I couldn’t find one for the Vision 4 upgrade. I have 2008 model with rev 3 PCB and what I think are SSC P7. I’ve ordered some Cree XM-L T6 and a U2 from Cutter on a 10mm MPC. I’m pretty sure I can get this to work as straight swap with same current and optics with a increase of 960 lm to about 1500.

Does anyone have a schematic to share so I can look at boosting the current slightly? I’d want to check the series I sense resitor value and the FET etc ratings for safe operating area. I’ve got the Linear Tech v reg datasheet but any other knowledge gratefully received.

Happy to swap experience! BTW, I am an electronics engineer as well as a MTBr.
    Regards, David Sturge

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘3800 lumen, 'and the Lord said……..'’ is closed to new replies.