Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 36 ring for road bike -is it possible??
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted a 36 tooth rear cassette to a road bike? My bike has sram red on at the moment and i am not getting enough rides in to build up any fitness – only used it 3 times this year 🙁 got a few big rides coming up and am seriously considering fitting as big a ring as possible. I know sram do the wifli kit with the 32 tooth ring, but is this as easy a gear that can be fitted?

jmenorton
    Free Member

Ive got 11-36 on road/cx bike (in touring mode), although mines shimano, 105 10 speed shifters and XT 9 speed Derailleur. Any bigger than a 32 and i think your looking a derailleur change.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Am expecting to change mech, chain and cassette

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

I’m only (a little bit familiar) with Shimano and have read of MTB cassettes being fitted, depends on rear derailleur capacity I believe.

Not sure if SRAM works on similar principles…

seanbolton
    Free Member

You probably need a longer cage rear derailleur. Also look at changing your chainrings. You can at least get down to 33 on a compact 110BCD chainset, possibly smaller.

Sean

federalski
    Free Member

Are there not new longer cage either Apex or Rival rear mech’s that a 34 or 36 can be fitted ?

fisha
    Free Member

If it were a shimano 10spd road setup with shimano STI levers:

A 10spd MTB cassette would fit onto a 10spd road wheel no problem ( i.e. 10spd XT stuff )
    You would need a normal or shadow style 9 speed mtb rear mech to reach across a 32t mtb cassette.
    You would need a shadow style 9 speed mtb rear mech to reach a 36t mtb cassette.
    A 10spd rear mech has a different cable pull ratio and would not work with the 10spd STI

I have a 32t XT cassette with an XTR rear mech and 10spd Dura Ace shifters. Works very well.

I think SRAM has a different cable pull ratio, so the shimano rear mechs are out of the questions. I think the Apex range can accommodate 36t cassettes. I think Apex rear mechs have a longer cage anyhow so that may not be an issue.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

yes you can fit a longer cage mtb mech all mech/shifters can be inter mixed. all work on the same pull.

nick1962
    Free Member

Big road rides needing a 36 tooth rear cassette 😯
    Where ?
    What’s your chainset? If it’s a compact 50/34 then do you really think you need a 36 rear? If you’re unfit I can’t see how that can help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘36 ring for road bike -is it possible??’ is closed to new replies.