Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 36 grip 2 vs Lyrik RC2 – real world impressions?
  • sofaboy73

Looking at getting some new forks to replace some 2016 36’s that I’ve never been completely happy with. Narrowed it down to the new 36 with grip2 damper and the new Lyrik RC2

Has anyone got any feedback on either or ideally compared to each other haven ridden both? The reviews seem to be fairly consistent in that both great forks but the lyriks are slightly better on small bump chatter off the top and the 36’s slightly more composed on repeated big hits.

As a heavier rider (100kg) I’m leaning towards the fox for more adjustability, but won’t get a chance to test either so any feedback appreciated

Onzadog

If it were me, I’d look at getting an Avalanche open damper to put in the existing fork.

samuelr

Disclaimer – I have never ridden a Lyrik rc2.
    I have the 2019 36 grip2. I like the 36 but sometimes more dials aren’t better. Its taken a lot of tweaking and fiddling to set it up. I serviced it after 2 rides as it wasn’t as supple as I expected when new. There was a tub of grease in the fork. I cleaned it out and put a light smear on the seals. This has made the fork plush of the top. The mid support is excellent. I have purchased a shockwiz to play around with to see what it recommends. I would be surprised if it improves on my settings but curiosity got the better me.

sofaboy73

If it were me, I’d look at getting an Avalanche open damper to put in the existing fork

Thought about switching out dampers, including retro fitting a grip 2 as already modified the air spring with a luftkappe which made a big difference, but as options range from £250-£400, it’s pretty much as cheap to get a deal on some forks and sell my old ones as it is to keep modifying them. Would also like a slightly long steerer tube after getting a longer frame (don’t get on with higher rise bars)

Most reviews have them equal or Lyrik a bit ahead. I’m happy with my Lyrik Ultimate so far but it’s early days.

The price though
    .. 723 Euro for the Ultimate in r2-bike.com is about half the price of a Fox. Makes it a no brainer.

Never ridden the current 36 but I have a 2019 Lyrik RC2 (29” 160mm) and it’s a fantastic fork and remarkably easy to tune. Far more intuitive than the DBair shock I had on my previous bike.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Not ridden a recent lyrik, but have a Grip 2 36, like it so much my next build will have one also. Didn’t take much setting up over and above factory settings either, which is a plus.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I have the 2019 Lyrik RC2, was riding it today.

Would buy again without hesitation – brilliant fork and as above the price difference makes it a no-brainer.

jimmy748

I have 2018 36 Grip 2 with a luftkappe at 180mm and am very happy with them, good small bump sensitivity, plenty of mid stroke support and soaks up the big hits.

sofaboy73

I have 2018 36 Grip 2 with a luftkappe at 180mm and am very happy with them, good small bump sensitivity, plenty of mid stroke support and soaks up the big hits.

@jimmy748 interested to hear why you’re running a luftkappe on the newer fork, as I thought the newer Evol air spring removed the issue of small negative chamber and poor small bump?

jimmy748

It was fitted when I bought them.

Premier Icon jler1985
    Subscriber

Winstanleys had some decent prices on 2019 fox forks.
    I’m a heavier rider and went for the fox 36, it’s a fantastic fork. It replaced a cane creek helm which I couldn’t get to feel ‘right’ for me no matter what I changed/adjusted.

mboy

Apologies for slightly wordy response… My 2penneth of the Fox 36 GRIP2 damper…

Not been a fan of Fox dampers for a while, even though I’m above (just) average weight, I’ve always found that Fox dampers (FIT4, RC2 etc.) seem to be designed for fat Americans, or cage fighter build EWS racers, and sod everyone else. The GRIP2 damper came with a lot of hype its fair to say, and had a lot of customers to win back!

Well what can I say, the GRIP2 damper is simply miles better than anything that has gone before from Fox! It’s not perfect, I’m running compression damping almost all the way open and rebound still approx 3/4 of the way open, but I have a setup that works for me. I’m told that there’s a (Chris Porter developed) mod for the compression piston that makes the range of adjustment even more useful for most people, and dropping to a 2.5 or 3W oil in the damper rather than the stock 5W also makes things even better too, but as it is I have a pretty good setup that works better than anything I’ve ridden before.

Now the bad bits… Fox aren’t as supple off the top as Rockshox. There’s just no getting away from it. The EVOL air spring may be better than what went before from Fox, but it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of small bump sensitivity. Well, it does if you’re running few enough tokens to actually get anywhere near full travel… Which leads me to my next criticism… The volume tokens are too big for any kind of fine tuning. I’m running a 29er fork @ 150mm of travel, I found with 2 tokens in that it was too progressive (approx 75psi and 33% sag and I still couldn’t achieve full travel!), so I took one out. With one token I had to run approx 95psi, down to 25% sag, and increase the compression damping a click or two, otherwise it bottomed out too frequently. I was going to experiment with making a half token to see how that went so I could run 1.5. But in the end, on the advice of a friend who’s been running one for a while, I bought one of these… The Runt has allowed me to drop down to 65psi in the main chamber with awesome small bump performance, even more mid stroke support (somewhere the Fox was already much better than equivalent Rockshox) and a fully tuneable bottom out too, for only a 20g weight penalty and half the price of a PUSH coil setup!

I haven’t experimented with a Luftkappe myself, but have heard good reports from people who have. Even the EVOL negative chamber isn’t really big enough (and usually there’s way too much grease in from the factory, so it’s worth removing the air shaft to clean it up on any new fork), Running a Luftkappe seems to allow for the user to take a token or two out without losing any small bump sensitivity whilst allowing for more frequent use of the travel available, or you could keep the same number of tokens you’re currently running and benefit from awesome small bump sensitivity. It seems to work better on shorter travel applications from what I hear though, where you’re already running a few tokens. In 160-180mm travel applications where you’ll be running maybe 2 or less tokens, there’s less room for improvement. I have a 2019 Fox 34 on my Hardtail right now, set @ 130mm travel, and it suffers the same problem. I’m probably going to try a Luftkappe in that (Runt isn’t yet available for a 34) to see if I can get away with removing a token or so as currently with 3 tokens in it ramps up a bit much at the end of its stroke, and with 2 tokens in it’s pretty harsh off the top.

So errr yeah… It’s a load of money, and it’s not perfect! But I’m certain the Fox 36 GRIP2 is the best fork Fox has offered yet, for most people. There’s still extra potential to be had from it with some aftermarket tuning, but if you don’t value small bump sensitivity too much and/or you only ever ride at race pace, you will be pleasantly surprised happy with how the fork feels out of the box compared to old Fox dampers, and you’ll love how much support and tunability the GRIP2 damper gives you over and above offerings from Fox’s rivals!

sofaboy73

@mboy

Thanks for the detailed response, plenty of food for thought. Sounds as if the fork is still a little over damped, but I tend to favour the mid stroke / big hit support for the oh shit moments over ultimate small bump compliance. I suppose I could transfer my current luftkappe onto new fork. Not seen those runts before

Premier Icon Rick Draper
    Subscriber

The 2018 and onwards luftkappe is different to the one in the 2015-7 fork.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I weigh 20kg less than you, but the lyrik has really impressed me with how it takes big unexpected hits.

Yesterday I thought I was gonna crash twice but escaped with just a sore ankle and battered Gooch (following a ballride) – and rode it out.

sofaboy73

@rick draper – thanks for the heads up, I did not know that

Any heavier & more aggressive riders on the Lyrik? As 25% heavier than the ‘average rider’ the forks tend to be designed around, interesting to see how they perform for you on repeated big hits or when things get a little out of control?

Hob Nob

Got a few friends on the current Lyrik who are pretty savage on a bike. They have spent a lot of time trying to get the setup right, but like them now. Ironically, they feel fairly similar to my Grip2 36 😆

I don’t have a preference to either, I can get Fox kit cheaper so I have run them for the last couple of years. No complaints on the damping, but then I push on a bit so like the support they offer. My biggest issue is going through CSU’s. I’m on my 3rd now (160mm 29 fork). Both the above have gone through a few Lyriks as well. But, the strive for light weight & performance means something, somewhere will give. Still, it’s a free service every 6 months!

“My biggest issue is going through CSU’s. I’m on my 3rd now (160mm 29 fork). Both the above have gone through a few Lyriks as well. But, the strive for light weight & performance means something, somewhere will give.”

Dual crowns on enduro bikes has to happen soon, surely?!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.