Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 30's house – chimney drilling – metal / liner ?
  • fubar
    Free Member

I’m attempting to mount a tv on the upstairs chimney breast and broken 2 new drill bits (‘wing’ smooth)….I’m wondering if what I’m trying to drill into isn’t brick / stone….any chance there would be metal in the chimney breast of a 30’s house ? One hole went in pretty easy…the 2nd two come to a halt after a centimetre or two (instructions to drill to 2 inches * 6 bolts)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hidden safe??

wwaswas

Probably a metal lintel in there. Get a pipe detector (or magnet) on it to see.

fubar
    Free Member

Hidden safe??

LOL (is that ‘common’ ?)…well I know of one safe already (sadly empty)…but I’m not ruling anything out. If I already had a 10mm metal drill bit I’d have given it a go (but the last one cost a fiver from the local hardware store). I do have a very large magnet in the garage so I’ll dig that out tomorrow.

fubar
    Free Member

I’d ruled out the lintel option mainly because all the window lintels are stone so assumed it would be the same throughout the house…but perhaps not…

option 2..Pollyfilla, paint and the tv goes on top of a cabinet

shakers
    Free Member

Ate you sure it’s not engineering brick meets cheap drill bits?

fubar
    Free Member

well 1st drill was unbranded…2nd was a Rawlplug branded ‘heavy duty’…it was new today and didn’t last long 🙁

sharkbait
    Free Member

Look into the hole…. If its shines it’s a steel lintel

kevj
    Free Member

Possibly engineering brick. You will need a sds drill on hammer and a good shatter proof / impact tungsten carbide drill bit.

iain1775
    Free Member

Our 30’s bricks eat drill bits for breakfast
    Doesn’t matter whereabouts your drilling the bricks are solid
    Had a new boiler flue put in and even the diamond tipped core drill thing struggled

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘30's house – chimney drilling – metal / liner ?’ is closed to new replies.