• This topic has 90 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • £300 for 6.5 litres of oil and a filter..
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Having worked in the motor trade for over 20yrs and experiencing Ford, Iveco, Volkswagen, Mercedes I would say that there is an absolute load of bullshit spouted on here that is pretty easy to counter in nearly every situation.

Ok, if you don’t like dealership business model, don’t use them. If you do then work the system to suit yourself. But those trying to convince themselves that the motor dealers are basically out and out fraudsters are pathetic. You do realise that the dealers cant fart without the franchise threatening to take it off them. You do realise that everything is target related and that parts is probably 10x more important than the actual vehicle sales targets. Imagine the uproar when a dealership who has x number of services to carry out every month only uses a 10th of the appropriate oil for it but is using shit loads of the cheap stuff. Imagine when the dealer principle asks the part/service manager why have they carried out 200 services but only used 10 new oil filters.

Absolutely everything is computer driven now for stock and replacement and this is the kind of info a manufacturer and dealer principle can pull up in seconds. Yep it may have happened to a friend of a friend who fell out with the service manager because he didn’t wipe your friends backside but come on, if you buy a new car, it pays to take it to a main dealer.

You would be better off having a discussion of how to make the most of main dealers. Things like price matching, service contracts, how they will have up to date info on your car ecu etc etc. Yep you pay for that shiny facility but if you can get them to charge similar to the backstreet garage, why complain?

I don’t work in service dept but for example you can get Mercedes commercial main dealer servicing for a Vito (T5 type motor)for £15 per month. That includes A & B services, all labour, filters & parts. It also includes full breakdown cover for another 12mths following the service. This is a subsidised price for new vehicles but it gives an example.

butcher

The fantasy income from doing a £30 oil change and calling it a £300 service is ome reason no one is rushing to electric.

You could pay closer to £100 for 7 litres of decent synthetic oil, to be fair.

That would be the upper-end though, and it’s defo not £200 worth of labour! It’s a 10 minute job for dealer.

bails

Imagine when the dealer principle asks the part/service manager why have they carried out 200 services but only used 10 new oil filters.

that’s an easy one to avoid, every time you do an oil change, you have to remember to steal a filter to sell on eBay later. 😀

teasel
    Free Member

You do realise that the dealers cant fart without the franchise threatening to take it off them.

Makes you wonder what the franchiser is actually doing with all those farts…

Edukator
    Free Member

Brakes of full electric smaller in size than combustion engine equiv so wear still a problem

Same vented front discs and rear drums as on the Clio on the Zoé. Why do people keep posting false information about electric cars without checking?

People adapt to a car’s characteristics. I’ve noted people pull away quicker than they would in a normal car as that’s what happens without the normal penalty of lots of noise and spinning wheels. Check out the front tyres on Zoé/leaf, they’re often more worn than you’d expect for the mileage. However, the energy recovery braking works so well that the road brakes only bite when something goes not to plan, when a car continues around a roundabout when you were expecting it to pull off, for example.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

For example I have recently just had a set of rear brakes done for £150.00 using Brembo discs and pads – BMW wanted £379.99 using inferior OEM parts – a £220.00 saving which could of paid for the dealers toilet perfume!!

I used to use Brembo discs and pads from Eurocarparts on my Subarus. One day I compared the OE pads with the Brembos. To my horror the Brembos had only about 2/3 the area of pad material the Subaru pads had.
    Which probably explains why the Brembo discs kept warping.

I can’t understand the mentality of someone buying an expensive, daft, flash car and then moaning about spending a few quid to have it looked after properly…

prawny

Just booked my car in a my local BMW place for a service and sort some warranty stuff out. They said it’ll probably be in for a while because of the stuff that needs looking at, but they don’t do courtesy cars on a Saturday. WTF, seriously considering going back to a Hyundai next, the service from a main dealer is shyte.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can concur that brembos from ecp are not the same as genuine

My van has brembos on. And the genuine pads are branded brembos inside an iveco box. They are 10 pound more expensive than ecp brembos pads.

Genuine brembo pads I’ve worked with in the past all have the rubber type anti squeel backing on . None of the ecp ones I’ve used have those

nickewen
    Free Member

Thank you for the responses all. The points made re. goodwill should something big go pop just outside warranty are really important and not something I’d really considered, cheers.

Also – Turns out the £297.50 also includes a pollen filter.. Bargain eh?! Anyway, a bit of negotiating on the phone got the price down to a slightly more palatable £250.. so it’s all booked in at the dealer I bought it from.

To respond on the posts on the previous page, yes 322bhp does tend to shove you down the road at a good rate in a 1 series! There’s an older fella (in his 70’s I think) on Youtube running one with 560bhp 😯

It has methanol injection, some turbo stuff, a heavy handed remap and some sticky wide tyres.. other than that I think it’s stock! (brakes, engine internals, ZF box, etc.)

pj11
    Free Member

Have a look at Opie oils on line, my BMW takes 7.5l of oil . Oil and filter costs £65 delivered. My local garage charges me £25 to swap it over.

sbob
    Free Member

Another vote for Opie oils.
    I joined a single marque club to get a discount with them as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘£300 for 6.5 litres of oil and a filter..’ is closed to new replies.