• This topic has 90 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • £300 for 6.5 litres of oil and a filter..
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Op, have you tried using https://www.bmw-service.co.uk to book your service as the official price is usually cheaper than the dealers.

prettygreenparrot

Sounds like a bargain compared to some Mercedes services. You do have a fancy small BMW, they come with sometimes surprising maintenance charges. £300 doesn’t sound bad considering the likely courtesy car, labour, premium oil, disposal, and coffee and biscuits. Oh, and the list of extras that will be recommended with a ‘free’ car health check.

prettygreenparrot

@wilburt

The fantasy income from doing a £30 oil change and calling it a £300 service is ome reason no one is rushing to electric.

not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

tthew

With respect to the BMW service video, my boss showed me his, it was a bit of a novelty as the first one he’d had. CV joint boots, check. From the front, visible side. Didn’t put his hand round the back to check the back seam wasn’t spit. 😆 🙄

bigyinn
    Free Member

It means they make LOTS of profit from overcharging on oil and filter replacements etc.
    Electric cars have much fewer things to service, hence manufacturers lose out on servicing profits etc.

wilburt
    Free Member

Changing oil, cambelts and brake pads is very profitable and not needed on electric vehicles.

I’m certain there will inspection plans for electric vehicles that will replace some but not all of that income (and jobs).

So its going to be a hole in several business plans.

silverneedle
    Free Member

YGM

trail_rat
    Free Member

Electric cars still have brake pads. Anyway it’ll be batteries and electrodes in charging points that are profitable in the future.

As for dealer servicing.

Parents evoque piece of shit has been religiously dealer services since new. Imagine their surprise when an oil filter was produced dated with pretty much the sale date 5 years ago and an air filter that was the colour of coal when we did it at home

Apparently it’s like a different car to drive now.

Not like the dealer was cheap either.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had a mate who worked briefly as a mechanic at a Ford garage. Standard practice was to wipe the oil filter with and oily rag to clean it and just drain the oil and replace it.
    He didn’t stay long.
    This is why I don’t trust my car to a garage full stop. If I need anything big doing I might take to an indie.
    With dealer servicing you DON’T get what you pay for.

johnners
    Free Member

Op, have you tried using https://www.bmw-service.co.uk to book your service as the official price is usually cheaper than the dealers.

Some of those prices are not too outrageous for a main dealer but it’s still £139 for an oil and filter change. Scheduled work according to the website is
    Engine oil is removed
    Oil filter is removed
    Genuine BMW oil filter is fitted
    Engine is filled with BMW approved oil
    Oil and removed parts are environmentally disposed of
    Exterior is washed
    Interior is vacuumed
    BMW Service history is updated
    I did an oil and filter change on mine yesterday, granted I missed out the washing and vacuuming but I can do without those for a £100 saving.

Add microfilter, air and fuel filter (OK, not BMW prices but £80 the lot at ECP) to the job and the price leaps to a staggering £343! That’s a lot for swapping out easily accessible parts with no special tools involved.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. A lot of main dealers are crooks. Mine are good though (Sinclair VW of Cardiff).

trail_rat
    Free Member

I wouldn’t tar all with same brush however equally the number of people I trust to work on my car and do a good job equals the same as get to go near my bike.

Any time I’ve trusted others to do the work I’ve been disappointed – and it’s not because of high standards it’s due to poor quality of work /rush job/corners cut.

joefm

Mines £230 through dealers. £160 at a local indie.
    4L of Castrol 0-60 for M cars is nearly £50. I keep an eye out for offers at Euro car parts and change the oil between services.

Inspections 1 and 2 are good ones. £700 and £900 to shine a torch in places.

johndoh
    Free Member

Christ on a bike – this thread is making me think that the £1600 I was quoted by Audi to replace a faulty coolant level sensor on my A6 was reasonable.

legend
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Mine are good though (Sinclair VW of Cardiff).

Based on anything in particular?

molgrips
    Free Member

Customer service
    Jobs get done
    Willingness to talk tech even though it doesn’t necessarily result in a sale
    Showing me VW tech bulletins (that they aren’t supposed to do) to help me out
    Taking pity on me and waiving diagnostic charges even though I didn’t have work done
    Being quite well priced
    Not leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth

craigxxl
    Free Member

BMW Service history is updated
    I did an oil and filter change on mine yesterday, granted I missed out the washing and vacuuming but I can do without those for a £100 saving.

I could do my own servicing cheaper too but it is my time that I can’t afford at the moment and £100 is still a bargain for someone else to do the work compared to me doing it after getting the parts and disposing of the used oil. I wouldn’t be able to update the BMW service history either which is all electronic now as will be the OP’s.

I have been using the main dealers (Stratstone, Leeds) for a while now but booking through BMW Service and saving money that way for both our 1 and 3 series. We had previously used Cramag independent BMW at Yeadon as they were cheaper than direct with the dealers. They had also missed out updating the service records for brake fluid changes which when brought to our attention ended up such a farce that it was easier and just as cheap to have the fluid changed again by the dealer. Finding we could get the servicing done cheaper than an independent by booking through the service through the BMW Service website made it a no brainer.
    The only downside is the sales pitch you get to change cars when using the dealer after they’ve tempted you with a courtesy car for the day.

johnners
    Free Member

I could do my own servicing cheaper too but it is my time that I can’t afford at the moment and £100 is still a bargain for someone else to do the work compared to me doing it after getting the parts and disposing of the used oil. I wouldn’t be able to update the BMW service history either which is all electronic now as will be the OP’s.

All valid points. I’ve got more time than money and an 8 year old car.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Self servicing and not paying for warrenty is what currently is preventing me getting out of a diesel car.

Seems my only way way is to buy brand new car as it seems every one of of the type of vehicle that suits our needs and is between 4-6 years old was bought with a dv6 diesel engine (the 1.6turbo unit that’s in most fords/Peugeot’s/Citroen’s)

That then ties me in to garage servicing and such to take advantage of the warrenty I’d be paying for.

So it’ll most likely be a new gearbox for the old jalopy

geetee1972
    Free Member

OP can I just say, a 3.5l petrol in a 1-series! 😀 My Skoda Superb has a 3.6l V6 and goes like stink but that’s a barge compared to the 1-series.

How do you keep it on the road? (or maybe you don’t now you’ve seen the service bill!)

willow1212
    Free Member

135 is a 3litre engine I believe. But yes still pretty sprightly.

legend
    Free Member

How do you keep it on the road?

iirc it comes with a full suite of tyres, pedals and a steering wheel 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

Electric cars still have brake pads

Hardly used due to regen. You could add other stuff to the list too, exhausts, air filters.

Electric cars will be to the motor industry what streaming was to music unless they come up some new wheeze ” lube your electrodes sir”?

wilburt
    Free Member

It’ll cost £40 – 50 + time and muck to do it yourself so I think £100 – 130 is about right for someone else to change the oil and filter in a car.

£300 is profiteering unless its a seriously more difficult.

johndoh
    Free Member

unless they come up some new wheeze ” lube your electrodes sir”?

Unidirectional gold plated wiring loom upgrades?

bigyinn
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

Electric cars still have brake pads

Hardly used due to regen. You could add other stuff to the list too, exhausts, air filters.

Electric cars will be to the motor industry what streaming was to music unless they come up some new wheeze ” lube your electrodes sir”?
    The purchase price will just go up inordinately once they become the standard.

greavo

I have the upmost sympathy with the OP.

I have the same engine (35i) but in a Z4. BMW Williams “look after” my car. Absolute cartel in Greater Manchester so they can basically do what they want.

Every single time I go into Williams Manchester I come out raging, 30 minutes is normal just to take the key off you and the same to get them back and pay. I have never seen incompetence like it. They actually think you want to sit there for 30 minutes having a cappucino! GET SOME F*CKING WORK DONE!

I tell them exactly what I think of them every time I sit down in front of them. Sign and stamp the book that’s all I’m here for as I do NOT trust you to do the work and I will check. I tell them the parts have been marked – that’s how much I hate them.

Looking at craigxxl’s https://www.bmw-service.co.uk my next service is £361 booked through the site – which I recall Williams telling me will be £500ish + vat so go figure!!!!

The prices reflect the fact that 6 or 8 bays have to pay for about 30 staff in the servicing team. What are they all doing!!!!

Local RRG Toyota have 3 staff keeping 6 technicians going and your keys are taken instantly and you get them back instantly.

BMW Williams are really putting me off buying another bimmer. If I recall correctly Mercedes had dealer problems 10 years ago and they took it all in house. BMW need to do something similar. Won’t be getting my custom in future.

Rant over!

twinw4ll
    Free Member

In another universe, i bought a car off ebay unseen for £800 two years ago, i have spent nothing on it apart from fuel and a pair of wiper blades.
    I did check the oil about six months ago and it was still sparkly golden, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

mmannerr

In third universe I have bought cars from main dealers and had them serviced there too. The service prices have been fairly high but they haven’t been cheating on jobs and have also done all mfgrs running updates to cars.

flange
    Free Member

I also have a 135i and I’ve got an M6 currently being rebuilt in part due to having had the wrong oil put in it by an indie.

Whilst my 1’er is out of warranty now, I still take it to BMW more for the piece of mind than anything else. I called BMW when the M6 went pop and had it been serviced at a main dealer they’d have been more amenable to meeting me half way on the rebuild costs. As it was they didn’t want to know and I’m stumping up the £14k for the rebuild costs.

What I have found is that BMW cars in general are very particular about the oil you run them on. More so the M models. I’d rather pay a premium and have an ‘expert’ stick the right oil in than saving a few £ with an indie and be waiting for the ‘ticking’ noise to start. The 135i is slightly different to other models with the 3 litre engine and as such are a bit more highly strung, hence the higher cost of oil. Making 320bhp and being expected to last 100k+ miles it needs the good stuff and not whatever is on sale at Unipart..

Cooper Tunbridge Wells are pretty good (they even gave me a lift to the station and picked me up). Cooper BMW Ipswich are dreadful…

Edukator
    Free Member

Electric cars still have brake pads.

That are likely to last the life of the car if you drive smoothly and don’t brake hard enough to get beyond the braking provided by energy recovery until less than 5kmh

nwilko
    Free Member

Main stealers well known for using low grade oil, ok spec for fixed 12month intervals on vehicles configured for long life service intervals but charging customer for the expensive long life spec. Well know rip off in VAG networks. Given increasing uptake of pcp deals and customers getting rid of car sooner the dealer knows the engine will last the warranty period and they get to cream some extra profit from a duped customer. Next owner pays out a few years later by then outside dealer network.
    Brakes of full electric smaller in size than combustion engine equiv so wear still a problem, equally given Joe public drive like morons and won’t ever drive smoothly in case someone pulls in front of the the braking events will be as large as today’s cars.
    Dealerships pay a premium for their franchise, yet pay the service guys a pittance regardless of brand, anyone happy enough to justify cost of new car is fair game for extortion it could be argued I guess.

CountZero

I hadn’t considered the fact that I don’t seem to have a hardcopy service log.. cheers for the heads up. I guess the first question is, does my indie even have the gadget for logging the service at all..

It’s not unusual for me to pick up a car and find the service book is just a manual on getting the car serviced regularly, with no stamps or dates in.
    More the higher-end cars, though, cars like the Focus and Corsa I drove today still have a proper service book with stamps in.
    Re the electric car servicing, this is interesting, a car hire company in California has just had its Tesla S hit 300,000 miles:
    http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-happens-when-you-put-300-000-miles-on-a-te-1798662230
    There’s some particularly interesting info about the batteries and firmware updates in it.

prettygreenparrot

Electric cars still have brake pads.

electric cars have regenerative braking. This means that much of their braking force is turned into electrical energy rather than heat. Brake pads apparently last a lot longer on EVs than on ICEVs.

mmannerr

Re the electric car servicing, this is interesting, a car hire company in California has just had its Tesla S hit 300,000 miles:

There was a news story about Helsinki taxi Tesla which had just hit 400 000km in 4 years and was still running well. The vehicle was driven something like 400km per day which is fairly impressive. There had been few issues with battery and motors but they were all taken care under 8 year warranty.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Lucky enough to have just sat in my local BMW dealers for the last hour and a bit waiting on a car to be scanned on their diagnostics machine (strangely cheaper that the indi @ £33!)

I can see where all the extra money goes on the dealers quotes now – stupid amounts of staff walking around and chatting, free coffee, plush carpets and toilets etc. Lovely if you’re into that type of thing – myself I just want to drop the car off, get it fixed /serviced as cheaply as possible using quality parts.

For example I have recently just had a set of rear brakes done for £150.00 using Brembo discs and pads – BMW wanted £379.99 using inferior OEM parts – a £220.00 saving which could of paid for the dealers toilet perfume!!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Makes you wonder where the money goes if the independent isn’t much cheaper than using a main dealer when there is no fancy waiting room

timba
    Free Member

BMW wanted £379.99 using inferior OEM parts

I doubt that they’re inferior, particularly as the BMW name rests on the parts used
    Brembo supply BMW with OEM parts

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you think main dealers do more, you’re deluded. They happily rip you a new one to pay for their fancy showrooms. Look around you. That’s what you’re paying for, the designer sofa and the brand image.
    This was a bit of a hot topic in the motorcycle world a few years ago and eventually they thrashed it out that warranty was still valid no matter who did the servicing…… This was becaus in general motorcyclists are more hands on than car drivers and bike are easier to work on, so lots more bikers do their own servicing. Dealers were trying to say this invalidated the warranty but it doesn’t.
    A few examples – My Honda is about £340 a service at a Honda dealer, I’ve just had it done at an independent for £410 including £220 worth of tyres. I do every other service myself as I’m crap at vale clearences, and the air filter is a pig to get to.
    Last service I bought spark plugs, which were something like £24 each from Honda and about £9 each off eBay. That’s the same plugs, same make, same code, identical.
    An OE chain and sprockets which might do 15,000 miles is well over £150 from Honda
    A better quality set which should do over 20k (with a gold chain) is £95 from Busters.

It’s the same for cars. Don’t be taken in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lotta fake spark plugs on eBay/Amazon . Big business.

As for warranties being valid. That may be so but the good will if something big shits it’s self just outside warranty is gone.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘£300 for 6.5 litres of oil and a filter..’ is closed to new replies.