Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • £30 for a 12.5 mile ride – WTF?
  • spacemonkey

Just came across these guys on a random search for some trail names.

Distance 20km/12½ miles
    Time 3½ hours
    Grade ? Blue (moderate)
    Fitness Challenging

All for £30! How the heck can you justify that, seeing as there are loads of free club/group rides in the area.

And 12.5 miles in 3.5 hours – eh?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Surrey Hills sems like their ideal market!

headfirst
    Free Member

How the heck can you justify that

A lot of surrey folk* pay for a cleaner, pay for a gardener, pay for an ironing lady,etc, so they probably just assume they’ve got to pay someone to show them round some trails they could ride round themselves.

*generalisation alert! 😉

spacemonkey

Yep, probably.

IanMunro
    Free Member

And 12.5 miles in 3.5 hours – eh?

I’d have thought red socks and walking poles would be more appropriate at that rate of progress.

spacemonkey

And there’s another one here for £25! The mind boggles.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“life on mars” “Red, white and rose”

Cringe worthy trail names, no mountains or proper tracks and £30 to ride there, that spot doesnt do any favours for the image of mountain biking. I’d refuse to ride those trails even if it was free.

I prefer to ride in the lake district free of charge.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lots of lovely advertising for them 🙄

spacemonkey

I’d have thought red socks and walking poles would be more appropriate at that rate of progress.

Totally.

And yet they also say “There’ll usually be time for a short break to sample the fantastic cakes sold from the National Trust shop at the top of Box Hill.” 🙂

I’m sure they’re decent folk and all they’re doing is tapping into what must be a paying market.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If people are daft enough to spend their money that’s up to them…

grum
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem tbh. Not everyone wants to nerd around on bike forums finding routes.

The trail names are very cringey though. 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Was just pushing off at the start of Follow The Dog yesterday afternoon while a guide was briefing a family of four.

“We’ll do the first bit and if you like it we can do some more’

lol

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem either. Going on a ‘free’ ride with a local group is ok if you’re a decent MTBer to start with, but these groups aren’t designed for leading beginners round. You’re expected to be able to keep up (within reason). I’ve been out with a local groups a few times and theres been people who turn back early on and never come out again.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Some people like the comfort of paying someone else to show them where to ride. If they are happy to do it then fine. If you are paying them and you don’t like the trails you can tell them to take you somewhere else rather than having to continue because your ‘mate’ who said he would show you some trails likes climbing steep hills that reduce you to pushing.

As for silly trail names : ‘Follow the Dog’ is so much better for a trail name than ‘Life on Mars’

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nah man, its all cool.

Although you must be a bit of a nugget to pay £30 to ride your bike, when you could just ride your bike for free instead.

Dancake
    Free Member

Good luck to them, I say.

t_i_m
    Free Member

I know the area well and recognise quite a few of those trail names, which include a number of bridleways, footpaths and at least one trail on private land. Nice.

I should start charging!

spacemonkey

@HH maybe these are aimed at the slower/beginner types. Fairy muff. But still damn expensive.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Although you must be a bit of a nugget to pay £30 to ride your bike, when you could just ride your bike for free instead.

I’ve heard it said that there are some people who pay good money each month to a ‘gym’. They go there in the car and then run on a treadmill or ride on a fixed bike for an hour or so before going back home in the car.

One day I’ll share my profit making idea with them, on a 50/50 basis. It goes something like this: don’t pay the monthly fees, simple run or ride to the gym, turn around and go back home!

I’m on to a winner there.

MSP

If you get an average group size of 3, then its only 90 quid for half a days work, its not really a lot of money when looking at it as earning a wage.

spacemonkey

If you get an average group size of 3, then its only 90 quid for half a days work, its not really a lot of money when looking at it as earning a wage.

But if you get 6-8 then £180-£240 isn’t to be sniffed at.

And like rocketman said, if there are families of four paying the best part of £120 then they must be bonkers.

MSP

I doubt you would get group sizes that large.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I used to run a bike guiding business about 20 years ago.

Used to charge £10 for half a day including bike hire, which seemed like a lot at the time.

On the days that I made £200 it was great, but on the days (most days) that I made £0 it wasn’t.

Didn’t do it for very long.

rocketman
    Free Member

if there are families of four paying the best part of £120 then they must be bonkers.

Never thought of it that way I just assumed it was £30 or whatever to be shown round

I love my family to bits but the prospect of going on a bike ride with them is mortifying 🙂

D0NK

Sometimes wish I’d had someone to show me round my local trails when I started biking, hmm actually I still do like to be shown round new places, fortunatley there’s quite a few people on here will do it for free 🙂 £30 seems steep but if you’ve got a loaded client base why not. I like andrews business plan, I’ll give you a quid for a 40% share! Interested in the legal implications if they are using FPs and private land. Cheeky is just haggling over ROWs, does charging to take people on FPs change things?

3.5 hours? I did a 12 mile ride with a few friends last month, 6 hours it took us, it was a lot of fun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dunno……………

Driving an hour and a half is going to be circa £30 in petrol.

Going on a MTB holliday, is say £50/day (+transport, so a £200 flights).

£30 doesn’t seem too bad!

grum
    Free Member

But if you get 6-8 then £180-£240 isn’t to be sniffed at.

It’s not to be sniffed at but it’s hardly excessive profiteering, it’s actually pretty standard for a days freelance work – not that amazing when you take into account all the costs, time spent organising it, answering phone calls/emails about it, filling in tax returns yada yada yada.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I did a 12 mile ride with a few friends last month, 6 hours it took us, it was a lot of fun

It was the hottest day of the year involved a pub stop and a swim though.
    I am not sure riding up or down Walna scar classes as moderate though.
    If they can make money then fair enough I say what do they say about fools and money.

rewski
    Free Member

Good luck to them, you can’t blame them for being enterprising, looks like a professional outfit, what’s the problem?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Last year I paid £15 for the ‘privilege’ of a days riding (way-marked route with food stops) around Hope/Edale in the Peaks.

These were the same trails that I ride for free the rest of the year as I’m relatively local to the area.

I didn’t mind the cost as it was a day spent riding with a bunch of mates that don’t get together very often, blazing sunshine, plus the camaraderie & banter with loads of other riders. Plus the £15 went to local causes, not somebody’s wages.

£30 for a 3.5 hour guided ride sounds a lot, but some people are happy to pay purely for the convenience of just turning up with a bike and riding… no faffing around working out where the routes are etc etc

Plus, I expect there’s insurance implications for the guide team, therefore the cost of this will be passed on to the punters.

hilldodger
    Free Member

£30, so about half an hours worth of time for the stereotypical stw-er then………

mudshark
    Free Member

All for £30! How the heck can you justify that

They don’t need to. If they get people paying that then they may stay in business, if not then they won’t. That’s business.

sharki
    Free Member

My recent ponderings to set up a walking/riding guiding company has found me trying to justify charging a certain amount for something people can do for free.

However, it’s been pointed out to me that people WILL pay for a few hrs walking or riding. Local knowledge of trails and tales for some is better than going out and potentially not seeing/experiencing the best on offer, or a specific type of experience in the outdoors.

Fear of getting lost, de-motivates some people as does constant looking at maps, etc… A good guide will encourage and support others, offering rests and alterations during planned route to adapt to circumstances. Money in the right place will make an outdoors experience a positive thing, thus encouraging people to do it again, whether paying for it or doing it alone.

People buy, TV’s, DVD’s, electronic games, etc all to provide entertainment, and i today’s society of waste and laziness £30 is nothing for a few hours enjoyment.

Some people happily spaff £30 on a night out, most of them regret the waste and lose the next day to a hang over.
    I could go on..

Agreed 12.5 miles and 3hrs isn’t a long distance or time for some, but for others it’s a way of them getting out of what may be a enclosed life, devoid of little meaning, that 3 hrs maybe the best 3hrs of their year, a few hrs to change their lives…For them that’s a boody good investment..

ahwiles
    Free Member

one of the best ways to get the most out your annual alps-trip, is to hire a guide for a day or 2.

it’ll save you hours of rolling down fire sorry, gravel roads looking for the trails that drop off the side. Some of which may be worth riding/rideable.

highly recommended.

this is the same thing, but in surrey.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d refuse to ride those trails even if it was free

Surrey Hills = good trails. Fact.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I know both companies / organisations. They’re a good bunch.
    Insurance for guided riding is quite expensive, as is the training for the guides. There is a market for this – London is on the doorstep, and there are lots of people who have limited time but slightly less limited wallets.

Both of those companies are involved in supporting mountain bike riding in the area, by the way.

Bearing in mind £30 will just about buy you a decent tyre these days, I’m quite surprised people are, well, surprised.

<edit> Oh, and there are no good trails here. Those trails that do exist have lame names, of course, and are not worth riding. Nothing to see here…</edit>

IdleJon

I wonder how padded the mandatory padded cycling gloves have to be though?

Mine haven’t got any padding in at all.

And sometimes I dare to ride with mitts, or even bare handed!

Would I be allowed to ride?

(Good luck to them btw. People spend money on much sillier things.)

ampthill

But paying for someone to point out where the trails are in Alps makes total sense

Its better than them charging a £5 and over loading the trails

crikey
    Free Member

Ahem, how much do people pay to be taught how to ride that £2-3000 mountain bike, dressed in £200-£300 of kit?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘£30 for a 12.5 mile ride – WTF?’ is closed to new replies.