Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)
  • 30% flat tax rate?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m with TJ on this one.

You’ve got to look at taxation as a whole too, including VAT, Fuel Duty etc. Do that and the poor pay more than the rich.

And where do the rich get there money from? They don’t just create it out of thin air, its money transferred from other people in society. If they’ve got none to spend, the economy collapses. You can’t stimulate the economy with tax cuts to the rich at the expense of the poor. Can you??

loum
    Free Member

If you want to boost grow, reduce VAT to 15% and take a serious relook at the construction market and homes building.

There is no growth to boost. We’re in a recession, and need to prevent further contraction first.
    You’re right about construction though, the 4.8% reduction in that sector over the last quarter put us here. I’ve posted it before, but there’s an interesting article with more detail on this sector.
    http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/05/11/how-spending-cuts-delivered-the-double-dip/

Private housing was actually up in the last Q, but massive drops in public housing and infrastructure dragged the overall figure down.
    Would it be possible to reverse that whist still cutting taxes as the report suggests?

woody74

For a small business all the various taxes are a complete pain in the arse. Its not like we actually spend NI on pensions, road tax on the roads. In reality it all just goes into one big pot. The tax system in this country is so bloody complicated that it allows people to find all the loop holes and skip paying tax. Personally I think that it should be simplified into one flat rate or at least far fewer taxes as they are used for more than just collecting money they are also used to control habits.

Also why should the rich pay a higher %. They pay more anyway as they earn more. If you work bloody hard and are successful why should you then have to pay so much tax. I don’t think you should pay less like in some countries where the more you earn the less % you pay. Granted there are some rich people we all hate and we want to pay lots of tax but in reality there aren’t many rich people that have just lucked out, they usually have worked bloody hard for it or have taken lots or personal risks.

The first thing we need to do is stop throwing so much bloody money down the drain. An article in the Telegraph last week said there were 30K people in council houses that were earning over £60,000 and the subsidy was costing the country £120 million. WHAT!!!!! Bloody hell kick them out. My household income is far below that and I don’t expect to get cheap housing from the government. If this is just one example god only knows where else we waste money.

I have nothing against people getting money from the state if they need it but it hacks me off when people who really need the money get hardly anything, when at the same time we pay for people on massive incomes to live in council houses, and all because we want to have some lefty policy that says once someone has a council house they can have it for life and in some cases they can also pass it on to their children. When you need subsidized housing then you should get it and when you don’t need it you should have to move out and battle on like the rest of us. That life!!

GrahamS

You’ve got to look at taxation as a whole too, including VAT, Fuel Duty etc. Do that and the poor pay more than the rich.

Based on what? Actual tax amount paid or percentage of income or percentage of net wealth?

I don’t think it is surprising that the rich have more disposable income than the poor. Isn’t that kind of the definition of rich?

Income tax: staggered, so the rich pay more.
    VAT: no applicable to essentials like food. Rich and poor pay the same rate.
    Fuel duty: rich and poor pay the same rate (though the rich are more likely to be driving a gas guzzler).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Woody – the rich usually have got their money thru abuse of power not from hard work.

COEs of listed companies remuneration has gone up 50% over the last few years despite the profits and values of the companies falling.

Does anyone need or deserve and income that is multimillions a year?

GrahamS

Its not like we actually spend NI on pensions, road tax on the roads.

*ahem*car tax

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does anyone need or deserve and income that is multimillions a year?

Yep. Me.

loum
    Free Member

tonyg
    You are the only one talking about a “boom”, no-one else.
    There is a shortage of housing in this country, that is why prices are artificially high. Why not build some more?

Junkyard
    Free Member

road tax on the roads

what road tax 🙄

f you work bloody hard and are successful why should you then have to pay so much tax

yes the only way you can be rich is to work hard and if you are poor it is because you are lazy TRUE DAT INNIT

Nice attempt to rant at poor people “fleecing ” the system when it is about rich people avoiding tax.
    You are cptFlash and I claim My 5 whatever country he claims to be in this week currency

Yep. Me.

If you shut the **** up I am on board with this 😉

emsz
    Free Member

TJ in my “I’ve won the lottery” fantasy I spend millions 🙂 LOL

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you shut the **** up I am on board with this

It’d only take a small annual donation from all STWers and I’d **** off forever.

woody74

When I am talking about rich I mean anyone earning say over £100K

I think that its a load of rubbish to say “the rich usually have got their money thru abuse of power not from hard work.”

Yes there are some people that abuse power to get rich in the same way there are some poor people that abuse the benefits system and never work.

The pay of CEOs of listed companies is a problem for the shareholders that allow it to happen. Why do I care if the chairman of British Airways earns £1m or £10m. Granted when you get issues such as the banking crisis where people were getting massive bonuses for high risk taking that turns out has a larger impact on society then things need to be done to control that behavior. But thats where better banking regulation should step in.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Woody – the rich usually have got their money thru abuse of power not from hard work

I think you’ge just nailed your colours to the mast for pretty much any realistic debate on economics TJ

mk1fan
    Free Member

It all comes down to what meaning is intended for the word ‘fair’.

If the meaning is ‘unbiased’ then everyone should have the same tax allowance and everyone pay the same percentage.

It also depends what is meant by ‘more’. Percentages are constant. 10% will always be 10%. However, values vary. 10% of £1,000 is £100. 10% of £100,000 is £10,000. Both are 10% but one is clearly ‘more’ than the other.

Personally, I would welcome a simplified single rate tax system without NI and a higher allowance.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

the rich usually have got their money thru abuse of power not from hard work.

Says mr-two-houses

GrahamS

the rich usually have got their money thru abuse of power not from hard work.

Superb TJ. 😀

For balance I think I’ll counter for the “other side” by saying:
    “the poor usually don’t have money thru sheer laziness and ineptitude”*

😉

* (Note: this is clearly not true, but then neither is the first statement)

coffeeking
    Free Member

This may be a bit revolutionary, but has it occurred to you that the brain surgeon does his job, because he actually enjoys it? Possibly the money is just a bonus?

Not everyone is a heartless mercenary looking to get paid as much as possible. Unlike those in the city.

You ever met a surgeon apart from being on the other side of the desk at hospital? 😀

Personally if I’d been told I was going to get paid the same as everyone else I’d still have studied the same things but then afterwards I’d have been a lumberjack and used my spare time and cash to do the stuff I enjoy in my spare time.

binners

Jesus!This level of debate would feel nicely at home in a sixth form common room 😆

woody74

JunkYard

I never said that poor people are poor because they are lazy and I am not ranting about poor people fleecing the system. I actually think that if you need benefits then you should get far far more. What annoys me is people getting benefits who don’t needed it. Someone on £60K can afford to buy or rent a home like the rest of us. Why should I have to pay for them to have subsidised housing. And why should the cancer patient be told they can’t have a certain drug as it is to expensive when there’s money to pay someones rent who could easily afford it themselves.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Anyone watched this?
    http://theflawmovie.com/

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What annoys me is people getting benefits who don’t needed it.

It annoys everyone but its not the massive problem or cost its made out to be by the right wing press like The Telegraph, so calm down.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jesus!This level of debate would feel nicely at home in a sixth form common room

*tries to lift Binners’ skirt with a ruler*

tonyg2003

tonyg
    You are the only one talking about a “boom”, no-one else.
    There is a shortage of housing in this country, that is why prices are artificially high. Why not build some more?

Sorry I was being a bit sarcastic….It’s just that we are in a massive recession (possibly double dip) due to housing boom and bust in many economies. Hence we have to be very careful to control housing. I’m not against having more houses built in a reasonable way, but we have to be extremely careful how the housing market is controlled.

However lets face it for large parts of the UK we have a high population denisty and that alone will keep house prices high. Supply and demand.

binners

*slaps Yeti’s hand, then nips outside for a spliff*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Twos on that…

woody74

HoratioHufnagel

Yes it is a massive problem. Are you saying £120m isn’t insignificant?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well JY – A level economics starts this week with Paper 1 with lots of short answers and I am sure that there will be questions of taxation. If students want to write that a flat of tax with minimum threshold is not progressive and score a big fat zero, then good luck to them.

I am surprised given that you usually are keen to talk about facts when others aren’t. But so be it. At least the A level students will be better prepared.

And a simple question – under the current tax system are there times when people earning more than others actually play lower marginal rats of tax?

There is a strict economic definition of progressivity. A tax is said to be progressive when the average tax rate rises as the tax base rises. So an income tax is progressive when the average tax rate rises as income rises. (We usually think in terms of annual income, though lifetime income may be the better base against which to assess progressivity.) This is the case when the marginal tax rate (the proportion of an additional pound of income paid in tax) is higher than the average tax rate (the proportion of total income paid in tax). In effect, the higher marginal tax rate pulls the average rate up towards it.

The simplest way to achieve progressivity in an income tax is to have a tax-free allowance before tax starts being payable. To see this, suppose the first £10,000 of income is free of tax and all further income is taxed at 20%. Someone earning £20,000 has a marginal tax rate of 20%. Their average tax rate is 10%.a Someone earning £100,000 would still face a marginal rate of 20%, but their average rate would be 18%. Thus a flat tax—an income tax charged at a single constant rate above a tax- free allowance—is progressive, as long as there is a tax-free allowance. This income tax can be made more progressive by (i) increasing the tax-free allowance, (ii) increasing the single rate of tax, or (iii) introducing one or more higher marginal tax rates on higher incomes. Progressivity does not, however, require that the marginal
    tax rate keeps on increasing as incomes rise.

Mirrlees Review, Chapter 2, Page 24 (if facts are at all relevant?)

br
    Free Member

Woody – the rich usually have got their money thru abuse of power not from hard work.

TJ is Pol Pot in disguise!

While I normally disagree with you TJ, but can normally see your POV – this time 😯 Especially since in previous posts’ you’ve indicated that ‘rich’ is anyone who pays 40% tax – just what planet are you on?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BR – Meaning the superrich – those earning millions – they get their money from abuse of power. There is no link with how effective they are in their role or anything else. Top execs of listed companies have seen their remuneration go up 50% in the last few years despite the recession for one example of this

As for the other comment – its the 50% taxpayers who are rich – they are in the top 10% of the nations earners that makes them rich – but not superrich.

poly
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Poly – why not simply remove the loopholes in our current system?

Because (1) Most of the loopholes were created with good intent, so shutting them may be damaging. e.g. would you want to see childcare vouchers, bike to work, season ticket loans, or tax exemption on pension contributions scrapped? How about schemes which encourage high net worth individuals to invest in small early stage companies etc? Or is it only the loopholes you don’t agree with you want closed?
    (2) if all those who “should” pay 50% tax actually had to many of them would relocate (losing all their tax) and some of them would take jobs with them; new investors would be put off investing in the UK and the less scrupulous high earners would go from legitimate avoidance to illegal evasion.
    (3) We don’t actually need that much tax!
    (4) The current system is massively complex, and therefore inefficient. It costs approx £4 BN a year to run HMRC.
    (5) Pretty much everyone seems to agree that the more you earn the more you should pay; but not everyone agrees that should be disproportionately more. I’ve never heard anyone give a sensible explanation why someone on 60k a year should pay twice (in percentage terms) what someone on 15k should on their earnings; and certainly never heard why a couple on 15k each should pay about £5k less in tax than a couple with a single income earner on 30k. The proposal doesn’t necessarily completely address that (by not being pure flat tax) but goes someway.

donsimon
    Free Member

BR – Meaning the superrich – those earning millions – they get their money from abuse of power.

That’s a very strong charge to be making. Can you support this claim of “abuse” with facts? Having your coffee break reduced from 15mins to 10 does not constitute an abuse.

There is no link with how effective they are in their role or anything else

What exactly do you think these people actually do?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

TeeJ – have you ever worked in a commercial organisation and witnessed or attempted to measure the impact that a high paid exec can have on the business…

Have you worked alongside any of these ‘super-rich’ who’ve abused their power..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

2) if all those who “should” pay 50% tax actually had to many of them would relocate (losing all their tax) and some of them would take jobs with them; new investors would be put off investing in the UK and the less scrupulous high earners would go from legitimate avoidance to illegal evasion.

Tehr is absolutely no evidence of this in any meaningful way at all. Its one of those right wing myths put about.

(3) We don’t actually need that much tax!

Ah right – so you want massive cuts in services then.

GrahamS

its the 50% taxpayers who are rich – they are in the top 10% of the nations earners that makes them rich

Even though, as I demonstrated to you last time you came out with this, a 40% taxpayer may still have an overall household income that is BELOW the national average (median).

Ninja Edit: oooh hang-on I see now you switched tack from last time and are now saying 50% (Additional Rate), not just 40% (Higher Rate Payers). Sneaky!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whixh is simply incorrect as you know.

a 50% taxpayer may still have an overall household income that is BELOW the national average (median).

Utter utter bullshit

there is no dispute – if you earn enough to get into the top tax band youa re one of the richest 10%

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A few % of the country have the majority of its income and the vast majority of its wealth.

loum
    Free Member

high earners would go from legitimate avoidance to illegal evasion.

As an excuse for not closing tax loopholes. You couldn’t make it up. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brilliant isn’t it loum

donsimon
    Free Member

there is no dispute

Apparently there is?
    TSY has a good and still unanswered question TJ. Have you ever worked alongside these captains of industry that you accuse of abuse?

GrahamS

there is no dispute – if you earn enough to get into the top tax band youa re one of the richest 10%

Edited my response as I didn’t spot your change of argument from last time. There was me thinking you were a man of constants! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 253 total)

The topic ‘30% flat tax rate?’ is closed to new replies.