Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • £30 fine for crossing traffic lights on bike
  • g5604
    Free Member

Is this true? Had a very irrate man stop me mid crossing to inform me I was breaking the law. I was coming from a bike lane if that matters.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What colour were the lights?

cookeaa

Was it a pedestrian crossing or a shared ped/bike crossing?

nixie

Do you mean jumping the lights or crossing the crossing?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was he shouting at his own reflection in shop windows?

martinhutch

If it’s just a pedestrian crossing, you should be off and pushing.

Highway Code, Rules for Cyclists 79 Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

If it’s a ‘toucan’ crossing, you can ride across. In these, the green man will be a green man and green bike signal.

Not sure I’d get into an argument in the middle of the street if you were heading across at walking speed and being considerate. But strictly speaking he’s right.

g5604
    Free Member

I was not arguing, genuinely bemused. I guess it was a pelican crossing (no green bike light) but is very wide and only him and me crossing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep so as a rule you were in the wrong and could be fined.
    If that matters or not is another matter.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What puzzles me is, why do people think it’s okay to comments to cyclists? Would they stick their oar in if it was a pedestrian or car driver? Something about cycling seems to attract uninvited comment.

g5604
    Free Member

We held up traffic for a bit while he stood in front of me.

g5604
    Free Member

What is the thinking behind this? I take up less room on the bike then off.

Also he quoted a minimum width , I think 3m

psycorp
    Free Member

Rule number 1 – Don’t be a dick. Assuming you were following rule number 1 then he wasn’t.

Ignore, move on.

martinhutch

Don’t be a Dick rule applies in the absence of anyone with the ability to fine you. I think your pedestrian may fall foul of that.

EDIT: Snap!

And you can bet that if he was in a car behind you as you fought across three lanes of traffic to turn right, he would be frothing about that, too.

kerley
    Free Member

Look at is as riding across a pedestrian crossing being the same as riding along a (pedestrian) pavement

hodgynd
    Free Member

Either way right or wrong ..I think if anyone was having a go at me in the middle of a crossing I would tell him to get in touch with himself ..the arrogant arsehole

hopefiendboy

patriotpro
    Free Member

Your only crime is letting him live

The Highway Code is not the law, so the only thing they could do you for is dangerous cycling.

Tell him to write a stern letter to the editor of the Daily Mail.

DezB
    Free Member

My son was told off for crossing a dual carriageway on his bike using the pedestrian crossing. Going to school, in his uniform. On a bike. Across a busy dual carriageway. On his bike. Going to school.
    I definitely would have killed the person who did this if I’d known who it was. Killed them dead. Death would actually be too good for them. A few years of torture first maybe.

diawl2
    Free Member

The greater crime here is using ‘then’ when you mean ‘than’.

deviant
    Free Member

It works both ways guys, if as a group ‘we’ want to be taken seriously and not just seen as road tax avoiding, congestion causing menaces (i believe that’s the common misconception among anti cycling mouth breathers)…then we have to ride to a decent standard, jumping red lights is a no no despite what people think…just because you think it only affects you if it goes wrong is irrelevant, I used to ride my motorbike like a ****, if I got it wrong nobody but me paid the price but that’s not how the public and the law see it.

Good news if traffic wardens and coppers start dishing out fines to nob’ead cyclists.

g5604
    Free Member

this has nothing to do with jumping red lights.

DezB
    Free Member

Still time to edit, deviant. 😆

oldnpastit

jumping red lights is a no no despite what people think.

Which is why no car driver ever in the entire history of this country has ever done so….

ossify

this has nothing to do with jumping red lights.

Point still stands, though.

Which is why no car driver ever in the entire history of this country has ever done so….

Point still stands, though 😉

In this case however I agree the pedestrian was more in the wrong 😛

crazy-legs

It works both ways guys, if as a group ‘we’ want to be taken seriously and not just seen as road tax avoiding, congestion causing menaces (i believe that’s the common misconception among anti cycling mouth breathers)…then we have to ride to a decent standard, jumping red lights is a no no despite what people think..

Oh DO **** off with that collective responsibility bollocks.

I could write a letter to every household owning a bicycle asking them all if they’d mind awfully not jumping any lights and it would make ****-all difference. I could stop, dismount and doff my cap to every driver passing me and that too would make ****-all difference.

I’ll ride based on my safety and convenience, the safety and convenience of other road users and then the law.
    If it’s safer for me to cross a road or to duck around / through a junction to get away from traffic (which by the way also helps the “traffic” as I get out of the way) then I’ll do it.

There is no collective repsonsibility so PLEASE stop propogating that bullshit.

DezB
    Free Member

There is no collective repsonsibility so PLEASE stop propogating that bullshit.

+1

richmtb

+ 1 Well said

wilburt
    Free Member

Zombies dont need a reason to hate, they just hate.

ransos
    Free Member

If it’s just a pedestrian crossing, you should be off and pushing.

If there is a shared use path either side of the crossing, it’s not illegal to cycle on a zebra crossing.

Bez

To the best of my knowledge you can’t get a fine for riding across the carriageway. Pedal cycles are freely allowed on it.

You can, however, be fined for cycling on a footway, so the legal issue with riding across a crossing is dependent on what’s either side of it: if it’s footway, it’s illegal to ride on, but if it’s a shared foot-/cyclepath then it’s legal.

The Highway Code is not law: you can’t be fined for contravening its rules. So this…

Yep so as a rule you were in the wrong and could be fined.

…is wrong. The crossing is not a footway, it is part of the carriageway.

The “don’t be a dick” rule applies in up to three ways here, depending on the actual context:

1. Don’t be a dick by cycling in a way which poses risk to others.
    2. Don’t be a dick by making up things about £30 fines to have a go at people who aren’t posing a risk to others.
    3. Most importantly of all, don’t be a dick by creating crap infrastructure where people on bikes face few pragmatic choices other than to use pedestrian routes (or to never bother taking a bike out of the house) or where small gaps in fragmented cycling infrastructure cause inevitable conflicts such as this.

As for this…

if as a group ‘we’ want to be taken seriously and…

…fetch me these:

ransos
    Free Member

Anyway, the OP’s pedestrian was also breaking the law.

Pedestrians not to delay on crossings

19. No pedestrian shall remain on the carriageway within the limits of a crossing longer than is necessary for that pedestrian to pass over the crossing with reasonable despatch.

The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997

Bez

There’s no “also” about it. There is actually a law (that really **** one that can **** off) about dawdling on a crossing, but there isn’t one about riding a pedal cycle on a crossing.

Ironically, if you remember the viral video of the pedestrian walking backwards into a cyclist on a zebra crossing, the pedestrian was potentially breaking two laws (the above plus assault) and the cyclist was breaking none (though, like the pedestrian, was still being a dick). But, y’know… where’s the headline in that, eh?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I think Onzadog got it right about 6 posts in.

g5604
    Free Member

Shared use one side, I was crossing to get on road as cycle lane had run out.

Love the law that he was breaking.

Bez

Then your problems here are:

a) people who think they know the law but don’t, and
    b) people who think they can design infrastructure but can’t.

Crack on, you’re fine; just being a bit cheeky with no harm done, like crossing at a toucan when there’s a red man and nothing coming: entirely legal, perfectly harmless in the right context, just disadvised by the Highway Code.

If people want to start imagining laws that don’t exist, there’s not much you can do about it.

kerley
    Free Member

If people want to start imagining laws that don’t exist, there’s not much you can do about it.

There certainly is something you can do about it. You can citizens arrest them for breaking the law on making up laws

greyspoke
    Free Member

Riding across a crossing is pretty good evidence that you had just, and were just about to, ride on the pavement. Although you could have ridden along the road, stopped in the gutter at one end of the crossing etc.

Bez

Riding across a crossing is pretty good evidence that you had just, and were just about to, ride on the pavement.

The OP says that it’s a shared path up to the crossing; in which case, probably not.

(Streetview link?)

deviant
    Free Member

I’ll ride based on my safety and convenience, the safety and convenience of other road users and then the law.

Good luck with that….the law comes first and it can be an inflexible bastard, it rarely gives two hoots about your convenience.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘£30 fine for crossing traffic lights on bike’ is closed to new replies.