Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 30 Albums That Made 1995 A Vintage Year For Music
  • CountZero

Discuss:
    http://www.nme.com/photos/30-albums-that-made-1995-a-vintage-year-for-music/368425
    FWIW, there’s only a few I really know, and rate, Elastica, Garbage, Björk, Tricky and Radiohead predominantly, but I know there’s many on here who’ll have their own opinions! 😀

cheers_drive

1994 wasn’t to shabby either:

Still love the music from the era, maybe a time and a place as I was lucky to be at uni then.

llama

Leftfield leftism?

Its great when you’re straight is good

As is tricky

95 wasn’t that great, but hey, I was past it by then

psychobiker
    Free Member

Smashing Pumpkins and Supergrass were ace albums.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have not heard of most of the bands never mind the albums

bigblackshed

TBH the list is compiled by the NME, so it will have only one objective, to rave about THE latest band you’ve never heard of and how they will take the real music scene by storm and become living legends. It has always been the music journal for music snobs.

Although some of the list have made their mark and stood the test of time. Others will sound very of the time, rather than timeless which great music will always do.

Northwind

Good year that…

bearnecessities

Ah, exit planet dust 😀

[video]https://youtu.be/ns9pEUNm0hk[/video]

..and SP with probably the best song that would epitomise my early yoof (before I discovered trance/hardcore/dance etc). A fabulous song though.

[video]https://youtu.be/xmUZ6nCFNoU[/video]

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Lifer
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDD7Rzi-x7c[/video]

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Other cracking albums from 1995 included;
    Faith No More – King for a Day
    No Doubt – Tragic Kingdom
    Rocket from the Crypt – Scream Dracula Scream
    Slash’s Snakepit – Its Five o Clock somewhere
    Pennywise – About Time
    Everclear – Sparkle and Fade
    Foo Fighters – S/T
    NOFX – I Heard They Suck Live

And indeed THE GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL SODDING TIME!….

I was sixteen in 1995 and had the use of an older brother who would drive me to all these gigs. Annoyingly he was at Uni in South Wales and got to see Dub War in some tiny venues where they just bounced off walls and ceilings. Bristol, Newport, Cardiff etc had so many good venues pretty much every band big at the time passed through.

tang
    Free Member

lifer, i have that album signed with a personal message finished off with ‘lots and lots of love Polly’. The only CD I’ll ever keep. 94/95 good years for music.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

30 Albums That Made 1995 A Vintage Year For People With A Really Narrow View Of Music

kimbers

cfh +1

chemical bros, RZA, radiohead, tricky, massive attack, goldie even bjork good albums, but not even their best and mosly its all quite meh

OmarLittle
    Free Member

1994 stands up pretty good. I dont think its just looking back with rose tinted specs either as i was a bit young to fully appreciate most of this at the time.

Nas – Illmatic
    Jeff Buckley – Grace
    Manic Street Preachers – Holy Bible
    Oasis – Definitely Maybe
    Nirvana – MTV unplugged
    Johnny Cash – American 1
    Biggie – Ready to Die
    Beastie Boys – Ill Communication
    The Prodigy – Jilted Generation
    Portishead – Dummy
    Greenday – Dookie
    Beck – Mellow Gold
    Nine Inch Nails – Downward Spiral

anagallis_arvensis

Coldcut journeys by dj is double plus awesome.

bearnecessities

Sod the miserable buggers up there ^ , but agree that ’94 stands out more in my memory.

DezB
    Free Member

30 Albums That Made 1995 A Vintage Year For People With A Really Narrow View Of Music

What, as opposed to people who just listen to rock?

There’s rap, indie, soul, trip-hop, electro, ambient, dub, drum n bass and pop in that NME list. IF that’s narrow, I’d like to know your eclectic.

Good list of what was going on back then. But I don’t see the point in nostalgia, personally.

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for CFH here – 1991-95 were my uni years and the time when I was most getting into music. I slavishly followed the NME and Melody Maker buying all the indie guitar band stuff and these days, I listen to very little of it – I think it was very parochial and hasn’t really stood the test of time…

Where was the era’s Beatles, Stones, Bowie etc?

I’m spending a lot more time these days listening to blues, and all the stuff from 60’s and 70’s which was a truly ground-breaking era for pop music.
    I’ve got one of Brian Wilson’s solo albums on Spotify now (from 2008) and in the quality of the tunes and depth of lyrics it’s totally on another plane to mid-nineties…

Most of the 90’s stuff was looking back to 60s/70s era for its inspiration rather than progressing to anything really new.

IMO even though it wasn’t my thing, dance music in 90’s and noughties was more progressive than all the indie stuff – a genuinely new form of music.

Of those artists above, Radiohead are one of the few who really went on to produce anything really original… although there were some great tunes in the Pulp album and Leftfield was pretty ground-breaking for its time.

And let’s not forget that Liam Ghallagher can’t even sing in tune and somehow he’s one of the most-celebrated ‘artists’ of the era!

bearnecessities

Before this gets all a bit highbrow, 2008 is where it’s all at.

Yes, you do like it 🙂

[video]https://youtu.be/JNhTNGC9vTo[/video]

athgray
    Free Member

Quite a varied list. I would add
    The Verve, A Northern Soul
    Ol Dirty Bastard, Return to the 36 Chambers

DezB
    Free Member

Liam Ghallagher can’t even sing in tune and somehow he’s one of the most-celebrated ‘artists’ of the era!

Er, yes he can and no he’s not. What’s singing “in tune” got to do with anything anyway. He’s got a distinctive voice is the reason people like him. (I don’t, btw)
    Don’t really get what you’re saying though – because you like listening to old music CFH is right in saying it’s a narrow view of music? Huh?

mefty
    Free Member

But I don’t see the point in nostalgia, personally.

+1, it is certainly not what it used to be.

gordimhor

Grand Prix and Maxinquaye both classics that’s better than most years

zinaru
    Free Member

This thread got me thinking about 1995 but i reckon 1996 was a much better year as far as my ears/mind were concerned…

Two albums from that year are still very much in my all-time list are –

Millions Now Living Will Never Die by Tortoise
    Upgrade and Afterlife by Gastr Del Sol

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thik I own 17 of them, 10 I reckon still get a play.

Trying not to sound old but they did know how to make albums back then.

bigjim

that was the year I started uni, I had a lot of those albums! good times. no autotune in sight.

CountZero

DezB – Member

What, as opposed to people who just listen to rock?

There’s rap, indie, soul, trip-hop, electro, ambient, dub, drum n bass and pop in that NME list. IF that’s narrow, I’d like to know your eclectic.
    Absolutely, that’s a pretty wide sampling of musical genres, hardly narrow.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘30 Albums That Made 1995 A Vintage Year For Music’ is closed to new replies.