3 weeks away I know but these GWR cyclo cross evening races in Swindon…

Home Forum Bike Forum 3 weeks away I know but these GWR cyclo cross evening races in Swindon…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 3 weeks away I know but these GWR cyclo cross evening races in Swindon…
  • matt lewis

I’m guessing that we need lights. Are bits of it floodlit? It doesn’t bother me either way. I’m just being curious and looking forward to them. Also anyone want a lift share from the better side of the Severn? I’m based in Monmouth so happy to meet anywhere. Cut cost etc.

Cheers,

Matt Lewis

matt lewis

Any cross racers out there?

richardk

Got a link to the races?

I’m also hoping to do these (based in Bristol) but can’t make the 1st two races

matt lewis

Sorry buddy no. It’s just in the calendar on the British cycling website. I’m not sure if they’re a new thing for this year. I spied them when I was eyeing the dates for the Welsh series.

Matt

matt lewis

Cheers Tricky disco but I can’t open that for some reason due to the filter at work. What does it say?!

matt lewis

Does it say anything about lights? A brilliant way to spend an evening. Back in time for Question time too!

It’s a shortcut link to the british cycling calendar only showing the GWR races

seanbolton

Yes you need lights. A rear light, and a front light. A helmet light would be a good idea as well.

The start/finish is partly floodlit but the main circuit is dark.

If you prefer riding in the daylight try the Wessex Cyclo-Cross League races. 🙂

Sean

seanbolton

And here is a short video from 2010 which should give you an idea what to expect.

GWR Cyclo-Cross Video

A rear light is compulsory and a front light for when it starts to get darker as the woods at the far end don’t get any light.

A front light was more relevant last year as it was a longer series. This year it only seems to be 4 rounds. 😥

For those that haven’t raced there and are think about it then I would highly recommend it. A great series which is well supported and a fantastic little course.

I could be interesting when they have the Wessex round there though as it’s quite a short lap compared to other venues so it could get a bit congested especially through the singletrack sections.

Premier Icon techsmechs
    Subscriber

Look out for the Western League too.

Mostly Bristol/Gloucester/Cheltenham based

Bigface0_0

Taking my daughter (10yrs) a long to the Wessex races so she can have a crack at them for the first time, Do you get many younger kids at these races???

matt lewis

Thanks for all of your replies. Sounds great. I’ll be racing in the Welsh league but I am based just over the Bridge so am tempted by coming over and racing as many as I can mid week.

Matt Lewis

hedml

Are there any requirements for the bike components other than lights?

seanbolton

Do you get many younger kids at these races???

The Swindon RC event had about 60 riders in the Under 12’s last year.

Generally there is a good turnout for the Under 12’s although numbers for all age groups tend to drop off later in the season (and if the weather is bad).

Can these be done on an mtb? Never done cyclocross before but this is only about 2 miles from where i live so might check it out. Never even knew they ran events there.

seanbolton

Can these be done on an mtb?

Yes. Although generally the cyclo-cross specific bikes have an advantage the difference is not great. Riding your MTB is a fine way of seeing if you like cyclo-cross. If you are local also look out for the Swindon RC Cyclo-Cross race in Lydiard Park on 23rd Sept (enter on the day) and also GWR will have a daylight cross race at Supermarine in October.

Check out the Wessex Cyclo-Cross League for more info.

Sean

Bigface0_0

The Swindon RC event had about 60 riders in the Under 12’s last year!!!
    That sounds good may try those

seanbolton

The Swindon RC event gets a good Under 12’s turn out due to it’s Go-Ride program, location is good too as Lydiard Park is popular with parents/kids generally.

Other Wessex League races generally get fewer riders but there are enough to make the experience worthwhile and enjoyable for this age group.

Sean

What do you reckon is the youngest that kids can have a go at this?

Bigface0_0

I’ve got my daughter (10) and a mates one who just 8 riding.

seanbolton

What do you reckon is the youngest that kids can have a go at this?

Within reason any age. At the Swindon event some parents push/help the younger riders round, which is fine. The emphasis on this age group ‘race’ is on having fun and taking part.

Great, so my 5 year old would be OK? He’s pretty good on his bike (has ridden round the Croft trail a couple of times). Roughly how long is the course for the Under 12s? Also are we talking for the Lydiard event or the GWR one?

Races tend to be on a small section of the track, never the full lap.

For the GWR evening race everyone starts at the same time and is only for Juniors upwards.

seanbolton

Great, so my 5 year old would be OK? He’s pretty good on his bike (has ridden round the Croft trail a couple of times). Roughly how long is the course for the Under 12s? Also are we talking for the Lydiard event or the GWR one?

Yes a 5 year old will be fine, if they can get round Croft Trail they will have no problems with the relatively flat and even circuit on Lydiard Park.

Sorry, I am talking about the Swindon RC Wessex League event in Lydiard Park. I am not sure about Under 12’s in the GWR Floodlit evening races, I don’t think there is an U12s event at these.

In the Wessex League the Under 12s usually ride a modified (shorter, simpler) version of the main course. Usually 2 or 3 laps, lasting about 10 to 15 minutes for most riders. It varies a bit depending on course and race organiser.

Sean

Sounds good, thanks. Unfortunately I just realised that we’re not around for the Lydiard event. Thanks for the info. Do you know if Swindon RC have any events or groups for young kids?

Sorry about the thread hijack!

seanbolton

Swindon RC have another open cyclo-cross race on Sunday 28th October but this is held in the grounds of the Rutherford Labs at Harwell near Abingdon.

All the Wessex League events have an Under 12s race, check the Wessex League website for details of venues and race times.

GWR Team will host a race at Supermarine Sports Ground in Swindon on Sunday 14th October.

The Oxford and Reading races are easy to get to from Swindon.

Hope to see you there, cyclo-cross is a great way for kids to try out cycle racing.

Sean

p.s. Swindon RC also has a Go-Ride Cyclo-Cross training for kids in Lydiard Park every Thursday evening at 18:30 until the end of September. In the events field just past the visitors centre and play area. Pete Moore runs the training, which is cycle skills type stuff, all ages and abilities turn up, usually 20+ kids. Just bring a bike and helmet and join in.

Thanks Sean, really appreciate the info and help. Will get my lad down to Lydiard as soon as we can! Might even have a go at that cross race myself in October 🙂

seanbolton

Might even have a go at that cross race myself in October

Definitely worth having a go at. It is good fun and a good workout.

Reading CC have my favorite course. A great mix of parkland, some tricky off-camber bits, some climby bits, and some woodland singletrack bits.

I will be riding most of the Wessex League (Vets) so say hello if you come along.

Sean

It’s on the calender and we definitely plan to be there in October. I’ll be riding my bright yellow C456 so you should spot me 🙂 My name’s Allan, I’ll see you there!

Bigface0_0

I’ve just taken my Daughter to her first cyclocross training session at Southampton sports center with Dave from British Cycling and she loved it. Really looking forward to heading to the Wessex series now.

It was great to see the fast chaps flying round and everyone was brilliant with the little ones so thanks for that.

Took junior along to the training group at Lydiard last night. It was great, he loved it! He was the youngest one there but was fine, definitely coming back. Thanks for the tip Sean.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘3 weeks away I know but these GWR cyclo cross evening races in Swindon…’ is closed to new replies.