Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 3 Series Touring vs. A4 Avant – Boot size!
  • ssmith1979
    Free Member

So… Not exactly bike related, but knowing the STW car ownership profile – would anyone be kind enough to run a tape measure around the boot of their 3 Series Touring or A4 Avant please?

I am looking at previous 2007/2008/2009 ish models rather than the current versions.

All I really need are length x width of the boot floor with the rear seats up. Please?

Any help gratefully received!

Thank you!

mrblobby
    Free Member

3 series touring is 94 deep and 95 wide. There is a wider bit near the opening but then it narrows to 95 because of the wheel arches. Don’t know how it compares to the a4 but it’s not a massive boot for an estate.

alpin
    Free Member

i was disappointed when my mate turned up with his 3 series to take three of us riding.
    made him buy a roof rack.

iainc

I had a 2010 3 series touring – boot space was pathetic, nice car though. Since March have had a 5 Touring (still a Company Car) which has much more space, but the boot is well smaller than a Mondeo Estate

mrblobby
    Free Member

Passat has a massive boot too.

LenHankie

3 series touring is 94 deep and 95 wide.

94 what?

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Thank you! Really helpful. As expected the 3 series boot does seem to come up a little small…

So – who’s out there with an A4 Avant? Please?

mrblobby
    Free Member

94 what?

Kippers.

Bregante

Inches obviously. The 3 series boot is almost 8 ft wide!

garage-dweller

If you are considering these cars and are worried about boot size then you are considering the wrong two cars!

Metasequoia

I’ve got an A4 (allroad, but had a normal one before that) it’s bigger than a 3 series, I tried both with bikes. A4 hasn’t changed since 58 plate, new 3 series is bigger but still only about the same as the current A4. A4 is smaller than Passat etc but a much better car.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Back in 2005 I test drove a 320d touring and an A4 avant. I bought the Beemer.

Beemer probably had the smaller boot of the two – can’t remember – but the Audi seemed to have NO suspension. Harshest ride I’ve ever experience

iainc

The Audi has offset pedals which I found a bit odd when I test drove them both. I went for the bmw as nicer to be in, but I think the Audi looks smarter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Test rode the Beemer, Audi, Passat, Accord and a Mazda 3 (I think). The Passat, Honda and Mazda were massive estates, loads of room, but I didn’t really enjoy driving them. The Audi was ok, but by far the nicest to drive was the Beemer.

Edit: Boot on the beemer can be a pain though, it always seems to be just a little too small for a lot of things you try and put in it (mostly baby stuff… parms, travel cots, etc.) Don’t regret getting it though. Easy to chuck a bike in the back though.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Thanks to all for their replies – really helpful.

So just for comparison purposes is there an A4 owner out there with a tape measure? Please?

Thank you…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You could google “A4 Avant Dimensions” and something like this could be found: 🙂

EDIT: Oops, now realise you meant the last model. I think this changed around the 08/58 plates. So 09 models would be the new one (I think, unless the Allroad ran for another year or thereabouts).

But found this on another forum. A guy asked:

And someone answered thus:

A: 1020mm
    B: 1050mm narrower at ‘front’ of boot than ‘rear’
    C: 1000mm shorter at ‘top’ of seat than ‘bottom’
    D: 1750mm
    E: 720mm

All measurements are of course approx. and for example C will be less at the top than the bottom as the seats slope back etc.

My MTB goes in the back if I take the front wheel off (29er) but it goes on the roof as it’s infinitely easier.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Now that, Darcy is seriously helpful. Thank you! I tried so hard to find diagrams for the 3 series last night but couldn’t so I gave up on the A4!

Strangely enough there are no BMW diagrams with measurements on – almost like they have something to hide?!

S.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No probs.

If you go HERE, you can download the user manuals as pdfs for any 3 series from 98. The dimensions aren’t as detailed as in the Audi manuals though.

EDIT: Or googling “3-series brochures” will give you lists of brochures to download for various models. Best dimensions I could get was this:

wrightyson
    Free Member

Dd for the win!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

You can also get the measurements/dimensions from the autotrader website. As I was looking at both cars I distinctly remember the Beemer being a little bit larger. Although they are not as large as you think.

For info, I have a 3 series touring. It’s a wonderful car but basically it’s full to the brim with two bikes and two lots of riding gear for a weekend away. You need a roofrack if you want to take more. You ideally need a roofrack to keep your interior reasonable too.

For me, when I’m riding on my own, the bike goes in, wheels off, plus kit box and there’s plenty of room to spare. Sorted.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My brother had an A4 avant a few years ago (circa 2009 vintage) and it does have a small boot, he definitely needed a rack and roof box for family holidays as with the back seats up it wasn’t that voluminous. Part of the problem he found was the back seats didn’t fold down flat which really compromised its load carrying capability for bulky things. Not sure if more recent models have changed, but headline dimensions and volumes can be deceiving, the shape of the space matters too.

andyl
    Free Member

if you want a big boot in that size class you unfortunately need to go for the run of the mill cars – passat, mondeo, octavia etc.

The only exception is the Volvo V70 which is huge as unlike Audi and BMW they fit a flat boot lid. I’ve been looking at 5 series and A6 estates and had decided on a 2007-8 A6 (3 litre tdi quattro) but on looking at one I realised you only have just over a foot of ful height boot between the back of the seats and the bit where it curves, yet the car is huge.

Skoda Superb is one that is often forgotten about.

maxtorque

KingofBiscuits – Member

I have a 3 series touring. It’s a wonderful car but basically it’s full to the brim with two bikes and two lots of riding gear for a weekend away. You need a roofrack if you want to take more. You ideally need a roofrack to keep your interior reasonable too.

For me, when I’m riding on my own, the bike goes in, wheels off, plus kit box and there’s plenty of room to spare. Sorted

This^^^ It’s not a “family” sized estate car, but swallows a couple of bikes and gear / people ok with the seats down. The upside of that size compromise is the rest of the time you get to drive a properly sorted and nicely compact car, one that is class leading in terms of dynamics as well!

The hatch opening is actually reasonably wide, but the boot floor is high (diff underneath) and the wheel arches intrude quite a bit (narrowish car, big wheel houses for big (bling!) wheels, and the rear seats can’t fold down totally flat because the propshaft tunnel is in the way.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Beemer E91 owner here. As others have said – seats up the space is not vast.

However where you win (other than the way it goes round corners 😀 ) is seats down. The rear passenger area is pretty spacious – there’s loads of legroom compared to my old B5 Passat, so when the seats are folded you get a pretty decent space. Add in that the seat squabs don’t need folding up against the back of the front seats, and the internal length is a hair longer than the Passat. Max width is compromised by the wheelarch intrusion, but it’s not a massive problem with bikes.

We can comfortably get 2 people, 3 bikes and a fortnight’s worth of kit in, and not be over the level of the luggage cover (ie still full view out of the rear view mirror).

As an alternative – have a look at the Jag X-type. Being based on a Mondeo floorpan, it’s pretty big, although the floor is still fairly high as most of the petrol models are 4×4, so need space for a rear diff. Not as nicely made as the german stuff, but very viable.

ssmith1979
    Free Member

More useful replies, thank you. We have had a look at both today and it is definitely the case that the BMW is smaller. But, it has a section of the boot that is actually wider than the A4 which means you can get long awkward items like a pushchair in without going diagonal.

In reality as has been correctly said here neither are massive. Massive boots come in Octavia’s, Passat’s, Mondeo’s and other similar things. So it looks like the way to make either the BMW or the Audi work is through sensible use of roof or towbar mounted bikes, and probably a roof box for holidays too.

So now all I need to do is find the right car!

@maxtorque – you have Email (BMW content!)

Thanks again.

S.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ssmith1979 don’t buy a car to fit the pushchair, just get a foldable McClaren.

FWIW I am an Audi fan over BMW, I like the way they drive, build quality and the availability of Quattro’s, I did find the A4 estate a bit small so bought an A6 which is fabulously roomy for 4 adults, great on long distances etc but a handful in a tight multi-story car park

mrmoofo

FWIW the 3 series will be a far more interesting car to drive. The A4 is (and has always been) very sterile as a drivers car.

I have and A6 quattro avant – great as a load carrier, carrying people etc. But it is dull as a “drivers” car. The A4 is worse.

If all you want is load carrying then the A4 will be fine – but a mondeo will do it cheaper

AlasdairMc

OT: what’s the view on an A5 Sportback as an alternative? I like having a hatchback but without the estate shape. I’ve got a Merc B Class at the moment which is great for bikes but quite fancy something a little less box shaped.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘3 Series Touring vs. A4 Avant – Boot size!’ is closed to new replies.