Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 3 season synthetic sleeping bag – what you got?
  • bob_summers

After my what tent thread* I’ve realised I need a warmer bag too. I suffer in mine when it’s south of about 5C. As the tent, it’ll be carried by bike or moto, and occasionally in a pack. Needs to be synthetic and I think I’m looking at 20F bags (-5 in new money).

* In typical STW style i overtented myself with a Nallo 2

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Vango Nitestar 350. Shop around for sub £30. I can’t imagine better bang for buck.

bob_summers

Looks good but a bit big, unless the bloke in the pics has small hands 😂 Owt nearer 1.5kg?

dyna-ti

Snugpak has one of the best reputations for this level of bag, as do Vango, and I’ve a Vango 4 season synthetic of theirsits been very good.
    The snugpac have an extra bit that zips in to expand it wider, so a it cooler they say.

Synthetic is bulkier and heavier and these days down has evolved to be much more resistant to dampness. Down obviously packs very small and is considerably lighter.

bob_summers

I’ll look into snugpak, cheers. Been looking around and saw the Thermarest bags have sleeping pad straps – gimmick? Saros 20 comes in at 1500g and 170eur…

scotroutes

Look at the Mountain Hardware Lamina bags. They do whole range, numbered according to temperature ratings (in degrees Fahrenheit). I have two – a Lamina 32 and a Lamina 0. I actually prefer to take down bags nowadays, having managed to convince myself that I can keep bags dry both in my pack and in use. However, I do appreciate that some folk have ethical and/or medical issues with down.

The Laminas are regularly on sale at Rock + Run, but it’s always worth shopping around.

https://rockrun.com/products/mountain-hardwear-lamina-15-f-9-c

jimdubleyou

I’ve got a Snugpak I’ve had for over 20 years. They definitely last, but it’s a) too hot to use for most of the year and b) massive.

2bit

+1 Snugpak

Think it’s a 10yr old elite 3 & has been bombproof

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a lamina 32. It’s ok – but massive! Not sure if I got an large one in error – I’m 5’10 and has too much volume for me. I’ve also got a cumulus 300 quilt which is warmer, more comfortable, is about half the weight and less than half the volume of the lamina, so I hardly use it.

bob_summers

The Lamina keeps coming up in “best ten” pages (insomuch as you can ever trust those). Great ideas thanks, I’ll be looking into the snugpaks too.

@northwave
    no down for vegan reasons 👍

trail_rat
    Free Member

I find snugpak to be very generous on their temp ratings.

My winter bag is a 3 season and I’ve been down to double digit negative temps in it so it’s not that I’m. Cold sleeper…..

But I’ve a snugpak travelpak 2 or 3 bag and I find it cold even in the house !

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Deuter Exosphere -6 and am very pleased with it. It packs up small enough to fit into a saddle bag, weighs just over a kilo and it’s very comfy because it’s stretchy. It’s the only reasonably priced sleeping bag that isn’t huge I’ve ever been warm in.

https://www.millets.co.uk/15910053/deuter-exosphere-6-15910053/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&istCompanyId=b238823a-59fd-4816-9c36-7dd47877f2a8&istFeedId=e4ff9138-23c5-4427-aa0b-cc0475742ae6&istItemId=ilplqapxm&istBid=tztx&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQRKqvnUqicGUj1B3q64EQM7-aLGnPK0db0GqgGy8ytF3ygOTIPH1hRoCtNAQAvD_BwE

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘3 season synthetic sleeping bag – what you got?’ is closed to new replies.