Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • 3 points or speed awareness course?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Some people 90/100mph on dual carriage ways around our way and no one dies horribly.

However to assume you will get no benefit from a course makes me think that you are the type of driver who thinks they are an awesome driver

davosaurusrex

It sounds like there is a large variance in standards of speed awareness courses. If I knew I was going to get a good one, especially with some practical training then I’d do it. However the one I did was crap. I do consider myself to be an above average driver but then don’t we all? I don’t tailgate, pay attention to stopping distances and obey 20s and 30s,rarely stray over 40s.the last time I got caught was also on a dual carriageway in near identical circumstances, I’m not remorseful about that one either (except for the getting caught bit). If that makes me arrogant then OK, fine with me.

Cougar

At 83 in a 70 I doubt you’ll be offered the course anyway so it’s probably a moot point.

nickjb
    Free Member

the last time I got caught was also on a dual carriageway in near identical circumstances, I’m not remorseful about that one either (except for the getting caught bit). If that makes me arrogant not as good a driver as I like to think I am then OK, fine with me.

fixed

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve done 3 courses. Found them broadly useful. Always good for a few simple reminders of practices to keep your speed down. Even things like thinking about your fuel consumption.

aracer
    Free Member

and there we have the sanctimony. Exactly how does exceeding the speed limit on a DC make it impossible to be an above average driver?

hanchurch
    Free Member

85mph is the cut off for speed awareness course in a 70mph limit.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You need to define what an average driver is average at.

There are lots of guys i work with (car company) who are far far above average drivers. They rack up hundreds (thousands?) of test track hours and race track hours too, rally, build their own (to race) take additional driver training courses and so on.

Most of them i’d not want to share a lift with.

Cougar

85mph is the cut off for speed awareness course in a 70mph limit.

There is no standard cut-off, it varies by police force. 10%+9 in Lancashire (so I was wrong (pre-coffee) earlier when I said it was unlikely to be offered), other forces may differ.

nickc

I’m not even slightly remorseful

thought it was a load of condescending nonsense

Take the points, clearly you are a god amongst drivers… 😆

davosaurusrex

Recognition, finally!

Cougar

You need to define what an average driver is average at.

When I did the course a couple of years ago, when asked I said I felt my driving was above average. I then received a lecture on over confidence.

Point was, I wasn’t being arrogant, rather that I felt that the “average” driver was bloody awful.

Most of them i’d not want to share a lift with.

Why not?

Cougar

thought it was a load of condescending nonsense

A lot of it is, because it’s aimed at those “average” drivers I just mentioned. The attendees in my group variously admitted: to knocking over a cyclist (waits for everyone to laugh); to only knowing the six road signs that he needed to memorise to pass his test; to not knowing the speed limits in NSL areas (pretty much everyone); to not actually knowing the difference between a single- and a dual-carriageway (again, pretty much everyone); to only ever using the middle lane of the motorway because changing lanes is dangerous; I could go on.

Bits of it were interesting and useful, but mostly it’s Noddy stuff. The folk who come away going “well, I learned tons!” either went on a different course from me or really should be considering refresher lessons.

convert

I’m not going to cast aspersions about speeding as I’m not prepared to be hypocritical. But as always there is some mild mirth to be found in such threads 🙂

My personal favourites:-

I’ve done 3 courses. Found them broadly useful.Always good for a few simple reminders of practices to keep your speed down. Even things like thinking about your fuel consumption.

3 courses and you say they are useful 🙂 Clearly missing their intended purpose then! Maybe they don’t have a sections on looking ahead, using your eyes and spotting the sodding cameras*!

and

To answer OP, I’ve got 3 pts for exactly the same speed. The police even complemented me on my driving, but over the limit is over the limit. If those points *have* affected my premium then I haven’t noticed. I have business mileage on my policy.

Really? They police pulled you over and complimented you on your driving? You either need to adjust your sarcasm detector or you have a chin long enough to make Jimmy Hill envious 😉

* not say speeding isn’t an issue but getting repeatedly caught is a pretty big indicator of totally shite awareness (or speed control in an average zone).

rocketman
    Free Member

OP ime any offence that starts with SP30 that didn’t result in a ban makes no difference to the insurance

83 in a 60 you’re looking at 5 points and £300

sneakyg4
    Free Member

35 in a 30 zone cost me three hours of my life sitting in an arts centre outside Newbury listening to a pious **** with a nasal voice.

However the van driver on the course who complained and challenged every point discussed made the whole thing entertaining.

Did it change my attitude? Yes a bit, I am now a lot more careful in built up areas, but my errant ways out of town have not changed one bit.

martinhutch

83 in a 60 you’re looking at 5 points and £300

They cover the actual speed limit on a NSL dual carriageway on the course…

deepreddave
    Free Member

We’re all capable of erring unintentionally over a speed limit but it seems many choose to do so on some premise that they’re ‘special’. Serious question, why? And if the worst were to happen and you were involved in an accident with serious consequences would you manage to convince yourself your excess speed played no part in it? How about if you were sat explaining that to the others impacted?

Do the course because you need to properly listen and understand why you shouldn’t choose to endanger others with your risk taking. Sh*t happens no matter how great a driver you are and excess speed increases the severity of the consequences.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The course doesn’t go on your licence and I’ve never been asked by an insurance company if I’ve been on one.

Some do, some don’t.

It’s not a question on the compare the market sites, but it is in the small print when you click through to a lot of them, in fact the only one I actually got a sensible quote out of (and had no question or small print) was quotemehappy.com. Some didn’t ask the question on their online forms, but it was still in their list of assumptions that you’d not been on one so had to call them to tell them about it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

3 courses and you say they are useful Clearly missing their intended purpose then! Maybe they don’t have a sections on looking ahead, using your eyes and spotting the sodding cameras*!

No denial here. However, they worked well enough that I wasn’t tagged in between times. So the effects lasted a while, then I lapsed. Also I drove the same route for a long time so yes concentration goes. There is a long stretch where the limits changed between 50 and 70 with no real pattern so I’d miss the transition. The camera awareness, I have to accept I didn’t always see them. They were mobile units and sometimes by the time you see them, it’s too late or jumping on the brakes is just not safe.

But yup, that’s just how it happened

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And if the worst were to happen and you were involved in an accident with serious consequences would you manage to convince yourself your excess speed played no part in it?

This was quite a convincing part of the course for me.

jam-bo

And if the worst were to happen and you were involved in an accident with serious consequences would you manage to convince yourself[b] a jury[/b] your excess speed played no part in it?

aracer
    Free Member

You’re not exactly setting a very high bar there, jam bo!

jam-bo

And if the worst were to happen and you were involved in an accident with serious consequences would you manage to convince a dead persons family your excess speed played no part in it?

better?

aracer
    Free Member

Mean, median or mode?

Clearly we’re talking about driving safely on public roads here, so mentioning people who are good racing drivers but drive poorly on public roads is kind of strawmanny. As Cougar points out, the general standard of driving is so poor that you don’t have to be a driving god to be above average – I’d expect everybody posting on this thread or similar ones is probably an above average driver, simply because they are actually thinking about the standard of their driving, not something most people do.

A lot of it is, because it’s aimed at those “average” drivers I just mentioned.

[/quote]

Which is exactly why I’d not expect to get much out of one – not given I have a decent working knowledge of the HC and the law (and will go and check if I find something I’m not sure about), and as mentioned above try hard to do things which contribute to safe driving such as anticipation and leaving decent gaps, and always stick to speed limits in towns (I often drive below them where I feel it’s necessary).

Exactly – when I got nabbed, the camera was a forward facing one trained at the horizon, so by the time you spotted it, even if you have excellent vision and are using most of your attention looking for speed cameras, it’s too late. Looking ahead and “spotting the sodding cameras” often makes no difference.

scotroutes

There is a long stretch where the limits changed between 50 and 70 with no real pattern so I’d miss the transition.

Are the changes not signposted then? Or did your loss of concentration blind you to them?

Euro
    Free Member

Take the points.

When i rode a motorbike i was caught a few times, always informed my insurer, but my premium never increased. It didn’t seem to matter how many points i accumulated (was sitting on 10 at one point*). This was long before the speed awareness thing was introduced so things may have changed. Maybe check with your insurer first?

* Should have been banned really as passing an unmarked police car at 125+ is seen as a little reckless by the courts – the fact that i already had 6 points at the time didn’t really help 😛

p.s. Cheers Cougar 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Why has everyone let oldmanmtb get away with this? I is disappointed in you all:

I get a phone call from some git from speed awareness course asking why I choose the points? So I told the aforementioned git I earn a £1000 a day as a consultant and what would he do?

Reads to me like big money earners don’t need no lessons! 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I presume you’re missing the alternative interpretation that doing a course would cost him £600?

mahalo

i once got caught 3 times in a week, hidden mobile unit on the same stretch of road. Doing 36 in a 30, completely uninhabited stretch of country lane. i didnt know id been caught till i received the letters in the post a few weeks later! probably wouldve been caught 5 times if the bastards hadnt moved on elsewhere.

had to take 6 points and do the speed awareness instead of the other 3.

absolutely no help there, sorry. jsl.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There is a long stretch where the limits changed between 50 and 70 with no real pattern so I’d miss the transition.
    Are the changes not signposted then? Or did your loss of concentration blind you to them?

They are but sometimes, you just happen to be looking the other way.

I do also wonder about the emphasis on keeping an eye out for cameras, or even having a heightened awareness for them. It strikes me that someone who is more likely to spot a camera may be less likely to true hazards. e.g. gorilla experiment

Cougar

I presume you’re missing the alternative interpretation that doing a course would cost him £600?

All relative, innit. If my earnings were such that a day off would mean I was £600 out of pocket, I’d be totally out of shits to give about the loss of £600. If the loss of a day’s wage was £60 I’d be far, far more concerned.

ransos
    Free Member

I truly drive at pensioner speed

If you mean you drive slowly, then no, you don’t.

aracer
    Free Member

But then there’s still the issue of spending half a day being preached at rather than doing a job you might enjoy – a lot of the argument for doing the course does appear to be to avoid a financial hit on your insurance.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But then there’s still the issue of spending half a day being preached at rather than doing a job you might enjoy – a lot of the argument for doing the course does appear to be to avoid a financial hit on your insurance.

No one earning £1000 per day does a job they enjoy.

Cougar

Yeah, fair point.

I think for me it was primarily to avoid points because I didn’t want points on my licence, rather than for any practical reason. That and I was curious about the course.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A week or so later I get a phone call from some git from speed awareness course asking why I choose the points

Did he start of being gittish when he phoned up to find out why you didn’t take up the opportunity to do the course, which in general improves driving intentions and behaviour or was it after you told him about your £1000 pound a day job?

It’s clear there are some people here who would not benefit from the coures at all, but perhaps not for the reasons they imagine

People who blamed others for their speeding and had a mindset that they shouldn’t be on the course were less likely to change their behaviour, and those who already had penalty points had a “lower attitude” to the course benefits. Older people had the best attitude, particularly older women. Annual mileage did not have any significant impact on the results. –

MrOvershoot

ransos – Member

I truly drive at pensioner speed

If you mean you drive slowly, then no, you don’t.

If he’s anything like the pensioners on the Wirral that’s 38mph at all times, no matter what the road.
    A friends wife racked up 9 points because she got into 5th gear almost as soon as she was moving so would be doing 35mph on no throttle!

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘3 points or speed awareness course?’ is closed to new replies.