Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 3 Pistes/ Tour of the Highlands
  • highlandman
    Free Member

Anyone else ride this at the weekend past? What’s the verdict on the experience?
    For me (I’m not really a road rider) it was the best sportive I’ve done; three hard but very rewarding days and good company spending time with the Stonehaven club boys. Stunning scenery throughout with the Highlands looking their very best in the spring sunshine and plenty snow still on the high tops. Organisation was mostly spot on, a good achievement for a newly expanded event. I’m especially impressed with the lack of midgies at the Glencoe ski area start and finish.

euain

It was a great weekend. I was nervous going into it – hopeful but by no means certain that I’d be able to complete it. I’ve done the 3 Pistes twice and entering the ToTH seemed a good idea a few months ago.

Weather was great (other than ride down from Cairngorm to Aviemore – that was somewhat soggy). Scenery was stunning. Great atmosphere between the riders. I think the course was really well judged – fast and easier day for the last day was great fun.

I’m still buzzing from it – so I’d agree the best sportive I’ve done. May well have said hi at some point as I was tagging along with some of the Stonehaven folks for bits on the day and the evenings.

highlandman
    Free Member

Hi Euain, Sean here- first aid bike. Aye, it was good; I’d wondered if I’d be able to keep up on a steel CX bike and flat bars, so know how you feel. The Stoney boys made me welcome, so that’s a big plus. Happy days indeed.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

What was the format, distances etc?

highlandman
    Free Member

Day 1 102 miles, 1900m climbing, Glencoe to Pitlochry via Tyndrum, Killin, Ben Lawers road, Tummel Bridge, Trinafour and Blair Atholl.

Day 2 103 miles, 2690m, Classic 3 Pistes route: Pitlochry, Glenshee ski area, Crathie- Gairnshiel climb, G’Shiel to Strathdon, Lecht ski area, Tomintoul, Nethy Bridge and finish at the Cairngorm ski area.

Day 3 113 miles and about 1600m; Aviemore to Laggan Wolftrax, Spean Bridge, Corpach, out around Loch Eil and along to Corran Ferry, Ballachuilish and finish by climbing back up to Glencoe ski area.

Stunning route.
    You can sign up for just the 3P middle day or the whole lot. Dates for next year are currently under discussion.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ll need to have a browse about, sounds pretty epic! And well done especially if you are not a road rider.

matt_outandabout

Lots of you guys passed us on the road from Atholl to Pitlochry.

One group of men and only women’s group replied to my or kids cheery ‘hello!’, 7 groups ignored us. There are some miserable b*gg*rs out there – sun, cracking ride, friendly other riders and you can’t crack a smile…. 🙄

euain

That’s a bit rubbish Matt – I think I was inanely grinning and saying hi to folks when I could.

In our defence, that would have been about 90 miles into day 1 and I know I had all kinds of doubts about managing the next couple of days running through my head..

Funniest bit of the ride was some older guy (not in the event) on a MTB/flat-bar bike and big panniers on the first Garnshiel climb. Big pack of roadies went past him – he engages/turns up the e-bike assistance and overtakes them and leaves for dead. Many laughs all round (including the group that he overtook). It was poetry to watch the reaction to the riders as this heavily-laden bike passes them.

euain

For anyone interested next year, here’s the web site: Tour of the Highlands

highlandman
    Free Member

Euain, I saw that too, so we must have been on the same bit of road at the time. Pure comedy; there were two of them, both passed me and German I think. Both on heavily laden e-hardtails.
    I was fairly distinctive- gold/mustard coloured Genesis CroixdeFer, flat bars and MTB kit. Plus the first aid sign & pack.
    The only prep I did for this was a three day tour de Cairngorms by hardtail the week before, so no, not a committed roadie. This meant it was ok for me to smile and say hello to random public… Sorry Matt, must have missed you.

stabilizers

Yep. Great long weekend. The weather doesn’t get any better. The FB page gives a better idea of the event.
    TotH

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘3 Pistes/ Tour of the Highlands’ is closed to new replies.