Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 3 Peaks cyclocross 2012…
  • crikey
    Free Member

I know crazy-legs has commented already;

Well that was suitably epic. Or daft.

Wind up on the tops was mental, could barely stand sometimes. I got blown over once on the climb of Whernside when the wind caught the bike. Had to make a wild dive after the bike to stop it disappearing down the hill.

My slowest time ever, partly cos of the conditions, partly just didn’t have anything in the legs.

Huge thanks to all the marshals, helpers & spectators for standing out in gale force winds and rain all day! There were still quite a lit of people coming up PyG as I was going down – I saw Chipps heading up – but by the time I’d got to the bottom I think they were stopping people from going up. The puddle half way along PyG lane went from being 18″ deep to being well over 3ft in the time it took me to go from bottom to top and back down again!

But that was the hardest thing I’ve ever done on a bike. That puddle wet my knees on the way up and wet my old lad on the way down. Epic I suppose, but I wanted someone to shoot me so I didn’t have to carry on.

scottyroyal
    Free Member

Second pretty much all that.

Epic is a word over used far too much but that really deserved the title! Massive kudos to every one who rode.

Crazy to think how many people turned up and actually finished in those conditions, over 500! Goes to show CXers are tough bastards.

Am sure every rider will have their tale to tell.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

++ Kudos

italspark
    Free Member

130 non finishers….now thats a proper race !!!!
    well done to everybody,
    with a special thanks to the marshalls, who were the real heroes of the day
    roll on 2013

karnali
    Free Member

i’d had more than enough by the time i’m got off whernside and ridden in to the wind to PYG was all set to quit then i just kindo of found myself riding up PYG with all the poeple cheering was great. It was a tad windy on the tops but a good day overall, legs are fuubarred today!!

stever
    Free Member

Feel quite, quite battered today. They gave it a 50mph wind on top of PYG: http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/09/30/ninth-three-peaks-cyclo-cross-race-win-for-rob-jebb

jonba
    Free Member

Finish rate was quite high – when you compare to other bad weather tough events like K100 in 2011.

scottyroyal
    Free Member

Thats because you’ve got to be a hard b******d just to enter!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

How come some where DQed, as opse to DNF?

crikey
    Free Member

There were time limits set at a number of check points, designed to ensure rider safety, and to prevent having marshals out in the bad weather for too long. If you didn’t make the cut off time, you got pulled out by the race organisation. If you crashed or just dropped out I presume that was a DNF.

If you look at the results, those right at the bottom were getting pulled out after the first hill.

GregMay
    Free Member

Utterly epic conditions, second slowest time since i was a VERY fat lad. Loved it, despite having a sit down on PYG and eat all the food in my pockets and a wee. Very happy to make it under 5 hrs in that wind.

Sam

My account of a very tough time here

chipps

I’d conveniently forgotten one moment from Sunday. Near the bottom of Whernside, I was whizzing along the slightly smoother track (before you draw alongside the railway line) and I saw a rider in the distance wade through what seemed to be rather a deep ford. I got to it and shouldered the bike and proceeded to wade through – it was up to my knees and flowing fast. I did think that it was a rather dangerous feature to have un-marshaled… And then I saw the footbridge that all the other riders behind me were now nipping over.

D’oh! 🙂

boxelder

That was rideable in past years wasn’t it. Using the bridge this time, I couldn’t remember using it in the past.

Clover

Ah Sam, Craig and Kirsty were there for you. I’m very glad as, in the event, Kirsty saved me on Pen y Ghent lane with bars which got me to the top. Cheers!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

on the flip side to that, I ran through the ‘stream’ whilst everyone I was with took the bridge, I came out 500mtrs in front of them….

stever
    Free Member

Like an idiot, I queued up for the bridge and realised the bloke behind made up loads of places ploughing through that stream. It’s not like it was worth staying dry 🙂

wwaswas

This made me (and his mates) laugh;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Hluv6Nzwg[/video]

GregMay
    Free Member

Thats me walking past in the yellow Mavic jacket 🙂

chklar
    Free Member

Some awesome pics and comments and blogs. Not being a cyclist and having only picked up a ‘cross bike (and absolutely loving cross riding) in August, i was perhaps a little unprepared for the mayhem of 3PX… especially as the reports from previous years made out like it was some walk in the park… well not quite but you get my drift.

I finished the race (of which i am very proud…) hypothermic and disorientated… but i also had a headcam filming the first 2 hours of the race… which i had sped up here or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJogq6hkHY&feature=share

Apart from the video above, are there any other videos of this years mud bath?!

Cheers all.

davetrave
    Free Member

Seem to be very few photos and videos compared to previous years – the lovely weather must’ve put some people off… 😉

chklar
    Free Member

yeah, it was a little inclement… Allegedly, even the ITV’s professional camera gig misted up. or he slipped over in the mud/rivers.

chklar
    Free Member

this may be easier to view.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJogq6hkHY[/video]

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks cyclocross 2012…’ is closed to new replies.