Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 3 peak challenge.
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I have just signed up to attempt the 3 peak challenge, hiking up ben nevis, scaffell pike and then snowdon within 24hrs. I read online that it will use around 8000 calories to complete it. I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to help in choosing what kind of food to take to replenish energy for such a task? or what possible training exercises to carry out. Thanks in advance

highclimber
    Free Member

Please take your time to consider your decision to join onto this ‘challenge’ by reading in to why the 3 peaks ‘challenge’ is not all it’s cracked up to be.

crikey
    Free Member

Please don’t do it.

It’s an exercise in driving a long way and annoying people who live at the bottom of each mountain, not a great physical effort.

boxelder

Forget the driving and walk scafell, helvellyn and skiddaw.
    Food? Butties, pasta and tuna, rice pudding, porridge – just normal stuff. Anything wacky may disagree with your stomach.
    Rethink the ‘challenge’ though!

martinhutch

The main energy source you’ll need is:

As long as you’re not going to be one of the groups screeching into Wasdale Head at silly o’clock and crapping behind a stone wall, or phoning up mountain rescue because you can’t follow a big track in the middle of the night, then it’s not the worst thing in the world, I guess. Because those people are idiots. Even for charity.

Training – walking up hills! Preferably in the dark.

Nutrition – pre-load and then just chug whatever you can tolerate for 24 hours.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

“and annoying people who live at the bottom of each mountain”

And those trying to Bivi on the top of Snowdon before the morning ride down as it was heaving with loud night time walkers 3 weeks ago on a Saturday night.
    I think I got about 2 hours sleep in between very loud night time charity walkers.

If you want to do it, do it on a bike riding with all your gear between the peaks mid week and in late spring to avoid the crowds

bren2709

Don’t forget charitable donations to –
    Fix the fells
    Lake district mountain rescue teams.

aracer
    Free Member

It seems I’m too late to suggest whatever you’d normally eat to keep yourself going when driving 500 miles.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Only tip I’ve got is have a team member who is the driver and doing the climbs.

cinnamon_girl

I can only echo what others have said. 🙁

Did it many years ago with friends and honestly had no idea that the mountains would be full of charity walkers, many of whom really didn’t look as though they had done any training.

As much as being on the top of Ben Nevis has undoubtedly been one of the highlights of my life, one of the most unpleasant was the number of idiots screaming into their phones telling all and sundry where they were. 🙄

Edit: I actually feel embarrassed and ashamed.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try this instead

http://www.paras10.com/

jfletch
    Free Member

Having done it I would say its not much of a challenge if you are moderately fit. But if you don’t act like a dick, donate to mountain rescue and know what you are doing the it’s not too bad.

As for 8000 calories I think that is a bit OTT. Basically if you want to do it in 24 hrs you need something you can eat in the back of a car.

I had a few caffeine gell things, 2 pot noodles and some instant porridge. The drivers put hot water in flasks while we walked which was very useful.

We also did it in the pissing rain so I was glad of 3 sets of clothes and lots of space in the minibus to dry things. 16 people in an 16 sweater would not be much fun.

cinnamon_girl

And the last thing you want is some idiot vomiting in the back of the car. 😳

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘3 peak challenge.’ is closed to new replies.