Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • 3 most Boring Sports to Watch!
  • AndyP
    Free Member

I've seen F1 being cut short due to rain & the leader awarded the race, & golf, again the leader being credited with the win, but that is in the case of extreme weather where it is unsafe, unplayable. In cricket it's a case of, this shower may last till lunchtime, we want a draw.
    Oh & what kind of sport stops for lunch.

the leader is awarded the race if it rains? jebus. How can they say that things may not have changed if the rain had stayed off? A draw is much fairer.
    what kind of sport stops for lunch
    one that takes more than an hour and a half. What sort of highly paid professional 'athlete' has to stop after 45 minutes to eat an orange?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I used to participate up to national level in probably one of the most boring sports to spectate on – rifle shooting.

Markmen all trained to be calm, not show any emotion. Target 10metres, 50 metres away and you can't see what score they've got etc.

They tried to make it more exciting for the Olympics etc. by having a shoot-off final, with scores posted after each shot. But not exactly an edge-of-your seat moment it has to be said.

No wonder any medalists we've had get a 10 second mention on any sports programmes….

Oh, and squash too.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Do they have athletes in cricket? Looks to me they just do a lot of standing about.

molgrips
    Free Member

Squash used to be dull, people playing down the wall all the time, but I watched some the other day and it was quite good. Lots of varied shots and shorter rallies.

As for golf, cricket etc being boring, I've had lots of enjoyment watching them, and bowls, skiing, motor racing, snooker, darts, lots of things. So either I am somehow clinically derranged (along with millions of other people) or these sports DO have interesting features but YOU just don't care for them.

I still say any sport on telly is interesting on some level otherwise it wouldn't be on telly. End of, really. Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean it's actually dull.

Dancake
    Free Member

Football. (Parts of game can be ok, but ruined by relentless TV and radio coverage – who is that git on 5 live who says "penaltyerra" as one word?) I dont want to hear people arguing about the bloody game while I am at work, either

F1- what is the point. Make it like moto gp with no fuel or tyre stops and that would be ace.

LONDON MARATHON! ok if someone has a poo

Nezbo
    Free Member

Here's mine:

Football (times a million)
    Fishing
    Dressage

Kunstler

Some observations:

The bit where footballers move the ball around is brilliant. Everything else about football is depressingly awful.

Some sports seem a bit over-evolved – Curling and American Football spring to mind, instantly followed by every other sport.

I believe Ernest Hemmingway said that there were only three sports: Mountaineering, Bull-fighting and motor-racing. Everything else was just a game. This was of course, before the advent of freeride.

All televised sports would be better if commentated on by Stuart Hall. Jeux sans Frontiers.

And as this thread is going the way of a boring sport I propose a thread swerve.So…

What would you change to make a sport more interesting?

I think that where it doesn't exist then judging by artistic impression should be introduced. Football gets more flowing Arsenal, show-boating and Sam Allardyce retires. Charismatic expression spreads beyond goal celebrations. Alesha Dixon and Robbie Savage are not allowed to be judges.

Contrary to above, some sports haven't really evolved enough and artistic interpretation alone is not sufficient for spectator enjoyment. Figure skating would benefit from the last man standing idea of boxing (actually that's just a scrap in the middle of a big piece of ice – needs work).

Formula 1 has not moved on in the way that say, Mario Cart has. Short cuts, jumps and missiles would greatly improve it.

We need to leave some sports alone to retain their zen qualities. Beyond quotes of existential goalkeepers, there is a Beckettian beauty in the notion of playing five days for a draw. Or losing due to inclement weather.

Darts across a ping pong table. Arrows in one hand, dartboard shield in the other. Do you risk a treble twenty or take a hit for the team?

Speed pool. With the sound off. What perfect beauty.

Excuse me, I need to go and ride my bike.

aracer
    Free Member

"I remember hearing not too long ago, a match had been won by England because it was raining, raining FFS, get real."
    memory FAIL. It might have been drawn because it was raining, but not won.

You did cut off the important bit at the start where he referred to Test matches. I have a suspicion it might have actually been a ODI he's thinking of though – eg http://www.cricinfo.com/wiveng2009/content/story/396061.html

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘3 most Boring Sports to Watch!’ is closed to new replies.