Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 3 hours in Penllergaer with a mountain bike but no vehicle
  • lister

I posted a similar question last year. My van is being serviced by VW tomorrow morning. It’ll take 3 or 4 hours. They can’t give me a courtesy vehicle. (Last time I was told about Clyne woods and had a great time but had a vehicle to get there).

I was planning a road ride but my bottom bracket is dead and I haven’t got a spare.

So I’m stuck with an enduro bike and some hours to kill. I’m thinking of heading north and east towards the woods near Swansea west services that might link to the Lower Lliw reservoir near Felindre.

Can any Swansea locals recommend anything else??

Thanks!

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah I think that’s your best bet. Penlegaer woods south of the M4 is really just walking but I know a few ride there and there is a little bit of singletrack but I can’t say where as never explored it. In the woods North of the M4 there is quite a bit of singletrack- it can be boggy but it’s been so dry recently should be good. I know they were going to fell bits but hopefully it will still be ok.

You want to head for the car park on a side road to the east of the services from there in the car park looking toawards the wood directly to your left there are a couple of very short runs down the steep hill. If you head up the hill into the forest on the fireroad then turn right on the double track at the top you should find some singletrack loops by the stream. It’s been a  while since I’ve ridden there and an enduro bike might be overkill but you could definitely have a bit of fun. The singletrack reminds me more of the south east than Wales, it’s not very technical, just fast and rooty and mostly pretty flat.

lister

Cheers Ferrals, that’s something to go on. Then down to the south woods for a coffe and cake. Should fill the morning 😃

IdleJon

A bit of road involved but you could head to Kilvey, just on the east of the city. Maybe 30 minutes ride. Kilvey is ideal for enduro/trail bikes, with about six ‘tech’ tracks (probably black graded if they were in a trail centre), the Alpine track, a load of old xc tracks and more.

Edit – just realised that you’ll be there by now. Too late!!

lister

I bimbled in the woods north of the m4, wandered around the old iron works and rode in the woods with the tea room on the south side. Went slowly and didn’t upset the dog walkers. It filled a couple of hours.

I’ll try and get to Kilvey in the future, sounds good!

IdleJon

Give us some notice before you come down next time and we’ll arrange something. 😁

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘3 hours in Penllergaer with a mountain bike but no vehicle’ is closed to new replies.