Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 3 days and 2 nights Hiking…..inspire me please!
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

I have a rare weekend off next weekend, girlfriend is working so I’m going to treat myself to 3 days in the hills.

I’m thinking either Snowdonia or Lake District…. probably stay in YHA’s or other bunkhouses as my wild camping gear isn’t really up to cold nights.

I’ll be driving over, so a circular route with somewhere to leave my car ideally. I’m happy covering 20+ miles over tough terrain in a day, and am reasonably competent at navigation. Don’t mind scrambling either but only to grade 1 when solo.

Any thoughts of routes? I thought maybe doing the Welsh 3000s, not sure how a route would tie in with accommodation though.

footflaps

Park in Seathwaite.

Day 1 walk over Greengable, Great Gable, Kirk Fell, Stay in Wasdale Inn

Day 2 up over Scafel Pike and down the Band to Great Langdale, stay in Old Dungyeon Ghyll Hotel

Day 3 up onto the Langdale Pikes, skirt round onto Glamara and back down to car

finephilly
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire coastal path, around st David’s.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers @footflaps booked up to do it this weekend….. staying just up the road from the Wasdale Inn as they were booked up.

footflaps

Cheers @footflaps booked up to do it this weekend….. staying just up the road from the Wasdale Inn as they were booked up.

It’s a nice route, done it a couple of times…

tjagain

I have a number of routes in the highlands I have done. IN May I am doing achnasheen to stomeferry which is a lovely walk ( for the second time) – its a one way walk but you return by train. Indeed I do it without a car. Others include loops thru torridon, Kyle of lochalsh to mallaig ( involves ferries and maybe takes too long for you and various other loops including one to loch Monar where there is a camping site that is on land that according to the map is underwater ( so camping off the map) and has a fantastic supply of firewood. Corrour to fort william is another – again best done by train.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ooh I’ll have to get some more detailed routes from you when I finally get up to Scotland.

Ridiculously, I’ve never hiked there. Snowdonia is only 2 hours away and the lakes 2 and a half, so it always seems like a bit of an effort to go to Scotland instead.

tjagain

Please do.

SaxonRider

I have no routes to suggest, but since you ask for inspiration, I can show a picture of the Yukon wilderness – a place a friend of mine would hike one week into and one week out.

Yukon

onehundredthidiot

Just in the Galloway hills now and we’ve had snow and sun. I’ll bimble down the road later and see if scafell is snowy on top.

sarawak
    Free Member

staying just up the road from the Wasdale Inn as they were booked up.

Not Lingmell House is it? If so you’ll be OK there. Tim is just great. And breakfasts are superb.

footflaps

Just in the Galloway hills now and we’ve had snow and sun. I’ll bimble down the road later and see if scafell is snowy on top.

Last time we did that route there was snow about, the worst bit was a rocky downclimb on Glamara. Obviously being a qualified mountaineering instructor I’d gone on a 3 day winter walk in a pair of trainers with no axe or crampons, which proved interesting to say the least…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Crampons and Axe are on standby, really don’t want to have to take them though tbh, I was hoping to do it in trail running shoes!

Sarawak I’m staying at the Braithwaite Inn.

sarawak
    Free Member

Sarawak I’m staying at the Braithwaite Inn.

Never heard of that in Wasdale. Let us have a report when you get back.

DavidB
    Free Member

I know it’s not hills but Penzance to St Ives on coast path then cross country back is a cracking 2 nighter.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Well it’s looking like it’ll be pretty wintery come the weekend! @footflaps any tricky nav issues you can forsee in wintery conditions?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘3 days and 2 nights Hiking…..inspire me please!’ is closed to new replies.