Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 3 day tour of the Cairngorms, ideas please.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Planning a 3 day tour for August. Only plan so far is to travel light so stay in BnBs, 60km a day roughly and ride some good trails. So which trails should we be looking to do and how should we link them together? Any recommendations for places to stay would be good to.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Day 1: Blair Atholl to Aviemore via Glen TIlt , Geldie and Feshie and Rothiemurchus. Stay in Aviemore.
    Day 2: Aviemore to Braemar either up and over Bynack Mor and Glen Derry or round by Tomintoul. Tomintoul way is longer but the riding is less techy. Stay in Braemar.
    Day 3: Braemar to Blair Atholl via Glen Tilt. Can extend the day from Falls of Tarf up to Fealar Lodge to pick up the classic Glen Tilt circuit route as the direct way is a half day ride really.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Any more suggestions?

scotroutes

Pretty much as suggested. I can suggest some nice options on the Feshie to Glenmore section, though a detour into Aviemore still provides the most bed/food options. Extending the route through Nethybridge works. Having walked some of the tracks recently I reckon the Tomintoul option would be great.

br
    Free Member

A loop across to Loch Ossian YH and maybe a rail trip to FW, then 2 days riding back?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Good start, keep em coming.

chickenman

IMO some of the “classic” tours have too much frustrating territory in them. If the Feshie/Geldie watershed had scenery that was less dull, I wouldn’t mind the off/on nature of the trail so much. I understand the Tomintoul to Invercauld section is a bit boring too.
    What there is are fantastic trails that you can make into loops; Braemar-Balmoral-Lochnager-White Mounth with a fantastic descent down to Loch Callater (or a less tech option north from t-Saigairt Mor).
    Invercauld-Linn of Quoich,-north to Beinn a Bhuird summit,-Sneck and Slugain glen (inc the fairy glen) back to start.
    An unusual leg on a tour would start from Loch Callater,-landy track south to Claise summit,-east across the great wilderness to Tom Buidhe,-very faint path south to Mayar,-techy descent down Kilbo path to Clova. One for settled dry weather!

kcal

Minigaig pass takes you from Blair Atholl up and over down into Feshie, as alternative to Gaick Pass. It’s a lovely route.

Extend the upper Tilt section by heading round the Beinn a’ Ghlo circuit until you hit Falls of Tarf. [edit] ah, depends on which way you’re headed of course, and shortbread has already called that one. Descent of Glen Tilt is preferable to the climb, definitely.

Potdog
    Free Member

Interesting stuff. I’m planning a trip to the Cairngorms in August, so good to see some options for routes.

geoffj

Use Glenmore as a base and do 3 full days riding from there?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looking more likely that we will base ourselves in Rothiemurchus and do 3 day rides so anymore suggestions for those would be welcome.

debaser

I’d build a route around a Potting Shed cake stop for a start. Lots of options around to get there from Rothiemurchus and some good stuff off Craig Dubh – Bothy bikes are always happy to advise on the best bits.

Badaguish is always worth a couple of laps, perhaps linked up with a traverse of Craiggowrie – Meall a’ Bhuachaille and down to Ryvoan?

Bottom section of the Larig Ghru on a quiet morning/evening is ace.

Have only walked it, but a descent off Craigellachie looks like it would be great if your in a big waterbar hopping mood.

Loch Einich, Burma Road, Carn Ban Mor… soooooo many options.

Pick a direction and ride, it’ll be great 🙂

scotroutes

steven – what kind of riding are you looking for?

It might not be gnar but heading over the Sluggan then taking the Speyside Way to Nethybridge and returning via Forest Lodge, Ryvoan and Glenmore makes a decent day out. You can extend it by doing some of the tracks round the south of Loch Morlich too.

The “foot”path from the ski car park must be all rideable now as they have paid, led descents down it.

In and out of Glen Einich

Loch an Eilean, Loch Gamhna and round to Inshriach. Pick up the tracks round the Uath Lochs from there and carry on over to Glen Feshie a bit. You can cut the corner on the way back and visit the sculpture park at Feshie Bridge.

Burma Road (clockwise) coming out at Carrbridge (cafe) and back on NCN 7 off-road route to Boat of Garten, Dalfaber and Aviemore.

Craigellachie is ace but very short.

There’s lots more single track at the Badan Dubh, Call into Bothy Bikes for up-to-date info as there’s been a lot of extraction.

Bothy Bikes do a weekly ride (Wed evenings I think). Hook up with them for some local knowledge 🙂

Oh – and when are you going?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Roughly 16-18th of August. Would definitely like to do some really technical riding but also want to feel like I’m away from everything for a bit if that makes sense. A return visit to the potting shed is definitely on the list although we’ve done a few rides already in that area.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘3 day tour of the Cairngorms, ideas please.’ is closed to new replies.