Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 3 contacts within 24 hours for "consultancy conversation". Ethical dilemma.
  • bigblackshed

I’ve had 3 contacts within 24 hours asking if I’m interested in a “consultancy conversation” with company looking for my “experience and guidance” in the type of machinery and processes that I’m over qualified in.

The sticking point is I have a confidentiality agreement with my present employer, which is exactly the information this consulting company are interested in. They are willing to pay for my time, but no figures have yet to be disclosed.

WWSTWD?

Do I make a quick few quid or should I tell my employer?

bigblackshed

Arse.

In the wrong forum.

👿

DickBarton

You have signed an agreement, as long as you don’t break that, go for it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be asking more questions of them, the why? what? and when? and also be honest and tell them you’re under an NDA.. then see what happens.

simondbarnes

The sticking point is I have a confidentiality agreement with my present employer, which is exactly the information this consulting company are interested in

That’s not really a sticking point. Surely it ends the matter?

Bez

It sound like you’re asking, “I’m legally bound not to do X, so do you think I should do X?”

jonnyboi

The sticking point is I have a confidentiality agreement with my present employer

I’m assuming they had exactly this situation in mind when you were asked to sign it.

mechanicaldope

Even acknowledging that you have signed an NDA is a violation in some cases.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does your confidentialty agreement extend beyond the period of your employment?

If not, then I’d be telling my current employer exactly what was happening and encouraging them to incentivise you to stay with them and keep your mouth shut.

Otherwise, say and do nothing. Short term gains are rarely worth long term losses.

lucky7500

So essentially, a competitor to your current employer wants to pay you for confidential information about / held by your current employer. Presumably the information is of some consequence if you’re bound by an NDA.
    Personally I’d keep well out of it, and depending on how I felt towards my employer, let someone senior know about the approach.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d not be posting it on a public forum for starters

scotroutes

Think on this; it’s not you they’re after, it’s what you know. How well do you think they’ll treat you when they’ve learnt all they want?

bigblackshed

Having typed out the OP it has made my mind up to not get involved.

My confidentially agreement ends with my contract. Nothing in there about future business. A conversation with my boss when I’m back at work I think.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Could also be an employer checking up on employees ability to stick to NDA’s.. it does happen in my world for “interested parties” to call on spec and ask pertinent questions….

Just sayin’

philjunior
    Free Member

Yeah, if it’s a few quid to break your terms of employment, don’t do it unless you really hate your job – and you might get sued and lose the money anyway.

If it’s money to jump ship to another company at which point your NDA ends, go for it – but if there’s any information you would need that’s stored on work systems but you have a legitimate right to, bear in mind you may well be put straight on gardening leave if you decide to leave.

theotherjonv

Flip side, I’ve done a couple of these and if it is through an agency then it will all be very carefully controlled, the client will not ask for commercially sensitive information and if it should hit those sorts of areas then you can simply say that it is commercially sensitive and they won’t push.

I did one for example on sunscreen active ingredients; the client wanted a broad overview of the market and -> my opinion <- of whether it was a growth area, potential enviro / regulatory issues for specific types of actives, and so on. No info was requested or discussed about volumes, either market or my company’s, or pricing – they just wanted ‘expert’ opinion on certain aspects, the kind of stuff I’d discuss openly at a conference with competitors, customers and colleagues.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s probably your current employer testing you anyway…

hodgynd
    Free Member

I think you made the right decision there BBS..and are taking the right course of action.
    Whatever it was they wanted to pay you wouldn’t be enough …

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does your contract of employment allow you to have any other paid work ? Mine have always excluded that.

Your employer would be well within their rights imo to assume you had biven confidential info and its most definiteoy a conflict of interest. So they could fire you for breach of contract / gross misconduct. My 2 cents.

theotherjonv

Fired because they “assumed” you’d given confidential info

Sorry, that’s complete BS.

GLG Compliance Framework

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘3 contacts within 24 hours for "consultancy conversation". Ethical dilemma.’ is closed to new replies.